PDA

View Full Version : Any Thomas Cook pilots out there?

mattjwood
23rd Nov 2010, 08:58
Hello all!

I am off to Tenerife on December 21st ( First time flying in a biggish aircraft for 7 years!!!! I cant wait !!!! ), and was wondering if any of you pilots out there could give me an indication on what the Aircraft will be? I have a vague idea that it could be the A321 or B757-200?

Also, what route does the aircraft take to Tenerife from BHX? Will there be any interesting sights along the way? Is TFS an awkward airport to land at?

Sorry for the questions, I am a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to Airplanes, and I constantly play Microsoft FSX as I am a bit of a wannabe Pilot :O but I know my dream will never come true due to the cost, so I think I will have to stick to Police work for my working life!!!!

Interested to hear your replies!!!

Founder
23rd Nov 2010, 10:31
I'm flying for Thomas Cook Scandinavia flying A321's and regarding TFS airport its a nice place, works very well and the runway was rebuilt last year so its more or less brand new...

Enjoy your flight! =)

mattjwood
23rd Nov 2010, 11:04
Thanks for the reply Founder! I am so jealous of you!!!!

I love reading some of the pilots stories on these forums! It would be fantastic if another Thomas Cook pilot could come on here and answer my questions too!!

I cant imagine what it feels like to take the controls of an aircraft such as the A321 or 757 for that!!!

Unzie_2000
23rd Nov 2010, 15:39
Your best bet is to get a seat if poss on the left side of the a/c...that will offer best views of the island and Mt Teide as you approach. That is if you land on the north-easterly rwy, which we do 90% of the time due to the prevailing winds. Enjoy!

Flyboy543
23rd Nov 2010, 16:58
from BHX should be a B752 for you.

mattjwood
24th Nov 2010, 08:08
Thanks Unzie! I have already pre-booked my seat - Seat 6A which luckily is on the left hand side of the Aircraft!

Do you Fly for Thomas Cook, or do you have experience in flying there with another Airlines?

Thanks Flyboy, I had a feeling it would be a B752!!!

dwshimoda
27th Nov 2010, 16:13
I'm not TCX but do fly to TFS regularly. From BHX you will either go down a Tango route, or down across Bay of Biscay, track down the Portuguese coast before heading off south west towards the Canaries.

For a sample Tango 16 route see here:

vataware :: TCX994L EGNX-GCTS (http://www.vataware.com/flight.cfm?id=2545947)

(although many routes head off towards Dublin, down through Cork, and then pick up the Tango)

Runway 08 is the most often used runway at TFS (as has been said) so sitting on the left you will get a good view of the volcano as you track down the west side of the island before turning in towards the runway. Although anything you see will of course always be dependent on the weather at that time!

Nothing untoward about TFS - good long runway, decent vectoring now they have stopped their stupid work-to-rule, and good ground handling facilities.

If you're so interested in the flight, when you get on the aircraft politely ask the SCCM if there would be any chance you could pop into the Flight Deck on the ground and say hello. We always try and accommodate such requests time permitting, and the worst that can happen is they say no!

Enjoy your flights and holiday!

DW.

mattjwood
28th Nov 2010, 20:26
Thanks for your reply dwshimoda!

Yeh I am sat on the left of the aircraft, so weather permitting it will be nice to get a good view of the volcano!!!

Yeh I would love to go and say hello to the capt and F/O on the flight deck, I will have to ask!!!!

Thanks for the route! Any idea what the cruising alt normally is? FL380?

Matt

dwshimoda
29th Nov 2010, 21:07
It will depend on the aircraft weight, and whether you go on a Tango or not. Tango's are MNPSA (see here: [URL="http://www.thelandingstrip.org/files/MNPS%20Ops%20Manual%20v9.pdf"]MNPSA[/URL and so you could be at whatever level is available for your crossing - it's never guaranteed.

For our operation, generally we are between FL360 and FL390 (depending on direction obviously) as the weight decreases. If we are on T9 / T16, then you sometimes have to climb or descend for the crossing.

As I said, if you ask and do get to pop up ahead of the flight, I'm sure the crew will show you the route, levels, etc. If I have people who are really interested, I often give out the paperwork we don't need to keep after the flight.

DW.

mattjwood
30th Nov 2010, 18:37
Again, thanks for the in depth reply! That document is a long read - and quite difficult to understand from my point of view! Sounds quite complicated!

I think I will ask to have a look at the flight deck, hopefully they will let me, and I can ask the Pilots a few questions!!!!

Im wondering if Kestrel_Stu will show his face in this thread? Id love to know who will be flying our aircraft, it might even be him!?

Skywards777
30th Nov 2010, 19:55
Just tried to find the flightplan, but it doesn't seem to be operating today...

The only TCX flights to GCTS I can see are; EGAA, EGCC, EGKK, EGNT, EGNX and EGPF.

mattjwood
1st Dec 2010, 16:38
Thanks - I am sure that flight operated yesterday as I am pretty sure I seen it take off!!!

My beat is right under the BHX runway, and I am pretty sure I seen the Kestrel T/O around 0750ish!

mattjwood
13th Dec 2010, 09:52
Only 8 days to go! Cant wait!!!!

Id love to know if there are any Thomas Cook pilot out there willing to post on my thread!!

Im going to Tenerife for my Dad's 50th Birthday which is on Christmas Day. Do you think they would be able to wish him a Happy 50th Birthday from the family over the PA system? Not only because it would be nice, but also he is hating the thought of being 50 and I want to wind him up about it!!!

Matt

finncapt
13th Dec 2010, 12:42
Retired now so not Thomas Cook, but I am sure you could have a quiet word with the cabin crew (while going for a pee?) and it will happen.

mattjwood
13th Dec 2010, 13:08
Ha, cheers captain! I think it would be nice and would also wind him up rotten about being 50! :D

angels
14th Dec 2010, 08:22
matt - have fun. Tell your dad that the big 50 isn't all that big at all.

I'm sure the FAs will make an announcement for you. :)

mattjwood
28th Nov 2011, 08:46
Thanks for all the replies last year!!!

Last year turned out to be a bit of a nightmare to be honest. My partner came down with Pneumonia just before the holiday and it was touch and go if we would make the flight or not.

In the end, we managed it. Although we had a 9 hour delay at BHX due to the snow, and a Emirates B777 getting stuck on the Taxi Way!

We wasnt very organised due to my partner being Ill and as such forgot to do various things, including asking the FA's to make an announcement!

We are no going again on the 16th December, and my god I cannot wait!
My partner has had a Flu jab this year and is now classed as Asthmatic due to the Pneumonia she had last year. Hopefully everything will go ok this year!!!!

Matt