PDA

View Full Version : Etihad Managers: Mercenaries or Altruistics?

EY Spirit
23rd Nov 2010, 07:32
At first, I was reluctant to join PPRUNE but after reading the comments and criticisms I could not help but join. It is hard to stay at a professional level in this forum as I have read in your posts. You can not lower yourselves any further. After all, the title of this website conflicts itself, professional and rumor, so you can not expect much from the members.

Moving along, I do not think Etihad will get any better with any expat as CEO. The only way is to hire a UAE national who will dearly care for the company. I know what you are thinking right now, UAE national? I have already read the many posts about the cadet pilots. And the way I see it, I think Vietnam Airlines is hiring.

Before you go on criticizing the nationals of this country that is feeding you and your families, look at the "smart and intelligent Europeans and Australians" who are robbing the airline to its very last cent. Better yet, let us not go very far. Let us criticize the captains flying in our fleet. I can name several captains who deserve to be fueling cars not flying airplanes!

Here are a few questions worth pondering about:

How come there has not been any Arabs in the international cadet program?
What is JH's approach by reconfiguring the A-320 to all economy seats? Last time I checked Etihad was not a low cost airlines! Or is this one of his ways to cover up his failures?
How many more VPs will it take to break even?
That is all .........

BigGeordie
23rd Nov 2010, 11:52
It wouldn't necessarily be any better with a UAE National running things. Just have a look at the flt ops/engineering departments of the competition to the North. I do agree though that expat managers tend to only look as far as the next 3 years and their bonus at the end of that and the airlines in the region deserve and need a more long term outlook.

However, I've known good and bad expat managers and good and bad UAE managers. Terrible management doesn't have any particular passport.

777boyindubai
23rd Nov 2010, 12:53
Hi EY Spirit,

A few comments in reply to your post.

What makes you think an Emirati CEO will do a better job? Talent doesn't respect passport. There are some very competent Emiratis in a number of fields. There are also those with poor levels of skills and shocking work ethics. It is the same in many countries of the world.

You talk about feeding us etc. The 160 different nationalities that fly EK pay my salary. And go to contribute 25% of Dubai's economy.Go figure. There are some great Emirati pilots and some lousy ones, too. Let us sack or re-train ALL the bad ones. Not just the expats. Vietnam Airlines? Are you suggesting some Emirati Pilots apply? :ok:

I have no issue with working for an Arab boss. There are many good ones. You criticize European VP's etc. Fair enough. Some are lousy. But, who employed them? :ugh:

BigGeordie
23rd Nov 2010, 15:03
Actually I think it is a fair post. One of the problems in this industry is transient management who are only looking 3 or 4 years ahead until they move on. Meanwhile the pilots and other staff may be at the same airline for 10 years or more and are left to pick up the pieces. It isn't only a ME problem.

EYpilot777
23rd Nov 2010, 15:41
BigGeordie (http://www.pprune.org/members/68276-biggeordie) i agree with you 100% :ok:

jackdaniels
23rd Nov 2010, 19:26
I agree with a local running the show, (EK is showing that this is possible and the results are impressive) Nevertheless I do have some issues with the ongoing emiratisation in EY mainly because JH is trying to force locals into departments with little or zero aviation knowledge trying to fill gaps where only experienced and skilled professionals can take over!

This being said the problem is not that our managers are looking on a 3 year timeframe to then move on but how they constantly slay the various EY departments with their incompetence and untamed greed that will let them do anything, repeat ANYTHING to cover up their embarrassing bungles!

And sadly these scoundrel loosers will NEVER leave because in a serious airline where money still means something they will be sacked in no-time! Just check who resigned in the past years and I bet my ass all crooks are still here happily enjoying their lucrative part-time distraction.

Well done EY :ok:

BasicInstinct
27th Nov 2010, 04:59
and that, habibis, is the issue. The present lot are behaving like the colonists of old - plundering for own profits, committed only to their own bonuses. The treatment of the 320 pilots is nothing short of abuse, and insulting. Just the rostering issue is bad enough to illustrate this fact.

Remember (26/9): "During the transition between AIMS and CRS planning, the October rosters were built by using CRS requests for the initial solution. The final published roster was completed manually using AIMS to make adjustments as per normal current practices, and in a small number of cases removing a request due to operational constraints."

CRS proposed - the Roster Gods disposed (and yet we talk of "CRS" as the villain)

Reading on :"There are some rosters that contain 3 night duties with a minimum 2 days off afterwards. We will continue to work on the post duty rest and the sequences of duties that are acceptable using SAFE values and fair distribution."

Lies!

And on:"By doing so, we moved a significant way towards the following:
· Avoid having same pilots operating consecutive night duties together.
· Awarding more ROFF requests.
· Awarding more flight requests.
· Achieving better SBY coverage[/B].
· Introduce improved MFF flying rosters where possible."

Damed lies!! And think what you want of what followed in that same mail, specially:

· We plan to open the CRS crew interface to allow a crew member to submit additional requests beyond the current Primary and Secondary[/I]." ... because we're ready with the giant eraser, anyway.

PEOPLE JOIN COMPANIES, BUT LEAVE BOSSES

When will EY learn?

Luckyguy
27th Nov 2010, 10:41
May I refer you to the various QR threads and comments posted therein, and it's state airline being run by a Qatari CEO, before making your final decision about the virtues and benefits of having a National citizen at the helm of your airline !

:\