PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical and ear problems!

mrhaydon
19th Nov 2010, 20:46
Hi all, i've always longed to become a commercial pilot and i've always had a real passion for aviation and flying. I've my PPL and am at the stage when i am able to go solo, however, i have no medical!

I would like to go down the integrated route but again, i want my Class 1 medical before i proceed with the applications.

The one thing that has been holding me off is my current condition with my ear, in my left ear i have a chronic ear infection called cholesteatoma and no where on the internet that i can find tells me whether i can gain my class 1 medical with this infection. I know the RAF do not accept anyone with cholesteatoma but from the information i've got, i've came ot the conclusion that i can still get my class 1 medical with cholesteatoma as long as i pass the hearing tests.

If someone can please confirm this for me and tell me what they are looking for in the hearing tests so i can go to the doctors and get a hearing test to see if i'll be in a good enough condition to pass!

Thanks to anyone that posts on this thread

"Blue skies and tailwinds"

Haydon

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Nov 2010, 07:12
Unquestionably, your best course of action is to ring the medics at Gatwick. They are exceptionally helpful and may be able to give you an immediate answer. If not they will certainly be able to offer advice prior to a Class 1 medical exam.

Good luck..

mrhaydon
23rd Nov 2010, 12:41
Thanks, I emailed my closest AME and she advised to contact them too and gave me all the details to speak to an aeromedical advisor.

To anyone in the same position as me,

Apparently it's possible to gain your class 1 medical with the ear infection, On the CAA website there is information on the scores you need on the hearing test so i'll be trying to get a hearing test at my hospital ASAP to see if it's worth persuing my dream!

"blue skies and tailwinds"

H