PDA

View Full Version : Plane crash at Mt Coleridge

av8trflying
19th Nov 2010, 03:11
A LOCAL man was in a critical condition in Cairns Base Hospital last night after suffering serious injuries when his light plane crashed into thick rainforest near Innisfail.
A four-seat Cessna 172 crashed about 20km southwest of Mt Coleridge about 3pm yesterday.
A 59-year-old Cairns man is still in the Cairns Base Hospital in a critical condition.
A second man, a 25-year-old from Innisfail was released from Innisfail Hospital at 8pm the night of the incident.
The cause of the crash is not known and investigators will return to the crash site this morning to examine the
wreckage.
Mayday calls yesterday alerted other planes to problems with the aircraft.
An emergency beacon was activated before the plane went down, which led an Emergency Management Queensland rescue helicopter crew to the vicinity of the crash.
After searching the thick forest for 20 minutes, rescuers noticed smoke from a flare that led them to the site.
A five-person rescue team, including two paramedics descended into the rainforest where they found the two men - neither was trapped in the plane.
EMQ Cairns helicopter pilot Pat Davitt said the crash site was in rugged terrain and the team had to make separate trips to get both men.
"It was very hilly, dense forest - if it wasn't for that smoke signal I don't think we would have found them so quickly.
"The man that let the signal off really participated in his own rescue.
"In the end, we had to make two trips, one to drop the man with minor injuries off and to refuel - before we could go back for the second man who was gravely hurt."
Mr Davitt said the plane was badly damaged.
The Cairns Post today reported the name of the man in critical condition after the crash as Bob Harris.
Mr Harris was not in the plane.
The names of the two men involved have not yet been released.
The cause of the crash is unknown at this stage and investigations are underway.

VH-XXX
19th Nov 2010, 03:15
There's a lesson there - a pack of boat flares or similar could be a good investment. That being said though, are they classified as DG ?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th Nov 2010, 03:57
We used to carry flares in 'dem good ole' days, and they were duly listed on the Flight Plan in the emerg. equipment section.....

Mine were packed in a flat 'tin' rather like a Christmas Pud. tin.

Used to replace them every two years I think. :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Nov 2010, 04:48
Hmmmm, interesting! Very rugged country to park in!

I don't carry flares in the aeroplane - but carry lots in the boat.

Don't know why I don't carry flares in the Bo - but if I did they would be down the back so I would have to be able to get to them to do any good.

I do carry a GPS-EPIRB and a strobe light, in the pocket in front of my seat. If trapped in the aeroplane I could stick the antennae out the storm window.

Will be interesting to hear what happened.

Dr :8

DaisyDuck
19th Nov 2010, 05:40
Poo poo to that pathetic excuse for a local 'newspaper' for printing such front page garbage yesterday. How simple would it be to get some basic facts straight? Wouldnt feed that paper to the worms, they might get poisoned. :ugh:

Sunfish
19th Nov 2010, 05:42
From a comment by someone or other, I think in a steel box is allowed, but i'm not 100% sure. You need red smoke and perhaps a red flare. Leave the parachute flares for the boat.:}

PyroTek
19th Nov 2010, 06:46
I do carry a GPS-EPIRB and a strobe light

Not sure about yours, but the GPS-EPIRB's we use have a strobe inbuilt :ok:

Peter Fanelli
19th Nov 2010, 11:11
So that's what, 3 or 4 portable GPSs now? :)

Jabawocky
19th Nov 2010, 11:14
You can not have too many PF ;)

J:ok:

Ozzie Mozzie
19th Nov 2010, 11:18
does anyone carry a signalling mirror?

19th Nov 2010, 13:12
does anyone carry a signalling mirror?
Or some old CDs?

Sunfish
19th Nov 2010, 15:36
Matches are in the flight bag always, along with the PLB. Longer trips I carry the hand held VHF and water as well.

Unusual-Attitude
19th Nov 2010, 22:52
Well for anyone who's interested in the actual welfare of the said pilot...KH looks pretty second hand at the moment, but the Doc assured me he'll recover in time.

Get well soon mate.

DaisyDuck
19th Nov 2010, 23:29
Everyone is thinking of you Ken and wishing you a speedy recovery, and for Bob and Carol, hang in there! Stressful times no doubt.

Widewoodenwingswork
19th Nov 2010, 23:34
Thanks for that U-A. I was wondering when people were going to stop talking about mirrors, GPS's and flares and show some concern for the Pilot. Glad to hear the old fella is okay. Give him many warm regards and a few beers. It was SRU I take it?

buddyholly17
20th Nov 2010, 21:46
KH get well soon mate, a lot of people are wishing you well.

heliduck
21st Nov 2010, 08:29
Yes, it was SRU. I'll bet there's a lot of logbooks around with that rego in it!

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Nov 2010, 01:08
Never had an interaction with KH that didn't involve alcohol, abuse, alcohol abuse or all three :eek:

Good luck Ken.

tail wheel
3rd Jan 2011, 02:45
Just spoke to Ken and Kath on the phone to wish them the best for 2011.

It is a long road to recovery but he is hanging in there.