PDA

View Full Version : American Traveler Dignity Act

Noxegon
18th Nov 2010, 12:32
Looks like a Congressman is trying to reign in the TSA a bit:

Mr. Speaker, today I introduce legislation to protect Americans from physical and emotional abuse by federal Transportation Security Administration employees conducting screenings at the nation’s airports.

Introducing the American Traveler Dignity Act (http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1796&Itemid=60)

WHBM
18th Nov 2010, 12:47
Perhaps this problem could be quickly resolved if every cabinet secretary, every member of Congress, and every department head in the Obama administration were forced to submit to the same degrading screening process as the people who pay their salaries.
Are these people exempt from screening ? I am presuming that as Congressman Paul wrote this, he would know. How does this work at US airports currently when they travel ?

Dutchman
18th Nov 2010, 12:47
Good to know at least the poor Americans will be protected. As for us other animals and lesser evil mortals, we will continue to suffer from physical and emotional abuse around the world and exposed for the danger to humanity we are. :ugh:

" I hope we can pass this legislation and protect Americans from harm and humiliation when they choose to travel." Quote

stator vane
18th Nov 2010, 12:48
is that an oxymoron? ha! from recent experience, it is!

good luck if he actually gets something accomplished.

i liked that bit about the political elite! ha! they will never experience the same as the rest of us do. that was/is/will be their primary motivation for doing that job.

"public service" ha! self-service actually.

CargoMatatu
18th Nov 2010, 13:06
So; will the legislation apply to US Nationals only? :rolleyes:

DC10RealMan
18th Nov 2010, 13:13
I used to travel to the US regularly and I have found the solution to the fingerprinting, intrusive questioning, profiling, and otherwise unpleasant experience that one has when traveling through US airports as an alien. I simply do not travel to the US any more, but travel to other countries where I and my money are welcome and I am treated with some dignity and courtesy. The only other place I have experienced similar officious treatment towards travelers is the Soviet Union.

racedo
18th Nov 2010, 13:14
He ran for President last time and had lots of support but never made the breakthrough but definitely against big Govt.

His son became a Senator this month.

Ron Paul has lots of street cred unlike most politicians.

Huck
18th Nov 2010, 13:16
So; will the legislation apply to US Nationals only?

Before we drown in an orgy of america-bashing, be advised that virtually all Constitutional rights apply to foreign nationals as soon as they set foot on U.S. soil. (The ones that don't involve voting and employment.)

But pout some more. It's very attractive.

radeng
18th Nov 2010, 16:58
Huck,

I think the constitutional rights only apply once you've been allowed in - while in immigration, you are in limbo.

Of course, if you slip in illegally over the Mexican border, you are protected against most things, especially if you have a kid born there.

Bus429
18th Nov 2010, 17:34
Huck - I don't this is a case of bashing America. Believe me, we have our share of:mad:wipes (had to censor the word "baby") at airports in the EU, including the UK. In fact CHIRP, a confidential reporting system for the industry has quite a few reports from flight crews concerned at the attitude and actions of some security staff at UK airports.

Serenity
18th Nov 2010, 19:01
Never mind the searching of passengers, I think the real indignity of travel is the lack of seating space. Some airlines have such minimal seat pitches anyone over 5'8 can't get their knees behind the seat infront!!
As they say, there are laws for moving animals, nothing for humans!!

PaperTiger
18th Nov 2010, 21:07
good luck if he actually gets something accomplished.No chance.

The bill to stop the use of body scanners as the primary method of screening died before reaching the Senate.

Too many members of Congress have too much pork invested in the "Security industry" to allow any changes to the status quo. More likely the opposite; more pork.

HKPAX
18th Nov 2010, 22:39
Seems to me that security staff and passengers should be equally obliged to be polite and courteous. But staff have their job to do, and it should be made 100% clear that adequate search must be made before you can pass. If pax then get shirty its their fault if they end up late. BTW I always mouth a "thank you" for a job well done. I suspect I'm one of the few.

radeng
19th Nov 2010, 07:08
I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Paul gets the full works next time he flies.....

As far as the TSA goes, I've found that them generally friendly, and helpful, especially as I walk with a stick. And TSA Phoenix ought to come to Heathrow and show them how to do it!

WHBM
19th Nov 2010, 12:18
Seems to me that security staff and passengers should be equally obliged to be polite and courteous.
Correct. I am always polite and courteous at the security point. Over to you, security staff ......

I do agree that in the USA the TSA have managed to make a huge change in their staff attitude; it took a while but they managed it.

intortola
19th Nov 2010, 13:21
Fully agree with WHBM, i travel through a US airport at least every 6 weeks, my first point of entry always involves immigration as i do not live in the US, not only have the TSA improved their customer service but so have the immigration staff, unlike the surly immigration officer at LHR about 3 weeks ago that implied i enter the UK too often even though i have a British passport. I never have a problem with TSA but like others have stated if you yourself are friendly and polite you usually get the same in return. Lets hope i have not jinxed my next entry next Friday!