PDA

View Full Version : Info on Westonzoyland, Spittlegate and Abu Sueir

MJW01
17th Nov 2010, 15:16
Hello,

I am looking for information on the following RAF stations in the 1920s:
Westonzoyland in Somerset, Spittlegate (particularly with 39 and 100 Squadrons) and Abu Sueir in Egypt, possibly with No.4 Flying Training School.

I am researching my grandfather Jack Bell's service at these stations between 1926 and 1930, possibly for longer.

I have a number of pictures of his time at these stations, with many shots of Westland Wapitis at Abu Sueir, DH9As, Fairey Fawns and Hawker Harts at Spittlegate.

I'd be very grateful to hear from anyone who has memories or information on the RAF at these stations during the second half of the 1920s.

It's a long shot I know, but any information on Jack Bell's service in the RAF would also be gratefully received. He served between at least 1926-46, unfortunately being killed outside an airbase in Lincolnshire in a road accident having survived the war. He had reached the rank of Flight Lieutenant by then I think.

Thankyou in advance

chevvron
17th Nov 2010, 15:54
It's Spitalgate, now an army base but was RAF (WRAF Initial Training I think) up to about '67/68.

Bigt
19th Nov 2010, 08:12
WRAF initial training was still being carried out during the mid 70s at Spittlegate......I know cos I was there!!! (for social activity)

Wander00
19th Nov 2010, 08:33
When the (then) RCT TA moved into Spitalgate, renamed Prince William of Gloucester Barracks, the Commandant asked me if I had ever been to Spitalgate in my previous RAF days - not impressed by "Yes Colonel, but only over the fence". It was always rumoured that there was at least one aircrew ghost in the Officers' Mess.

ELD
17th Dec 2010, 13:12
Greetings, My father trained at Abu Sueir in the 20's with Number 4, FTs and I have his photography album with many interesting photos of aircraft and people. I would be happy to be in personal contact with the person seeking info. on Jack Bell.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Dec 2010, 15:18
From the THE AIR PILOT GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, amended to 14/8/38.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/WestonZ_0002.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/WestonZ_0001.jpg