PDA

View Full Version : Sedbergh and Cadet Mk3 Trailer

osprey2
17th Nov 2010, 12:57
Hi All,
When I was in the Air Cadets back in the 60s at RAF Catterick, we had a trailer for carrying rigged T21s (Sedberghs) and T31 (Cadet Mk3s) around the airfield. Does anyone have any photos of these or even drawings or better know where there is one, I understand they were in use around the Air Cadet gliding Schools.
Regards
Pete H

Tupperware Pilot
17th Nov 2010, 13:51
Photos: Slingsby T-21B Sedbergh Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Slingsby-T-21B-Sedbergh/1143653/M/)

chevvron
17th Nov 2010, 14:19
They were originally designed just for Mk 3s - we trialled the prototype at Halton - but I have heard of Sedburghs being carried too although the length of the securing wires from the metal arms would need to be adjusted.
I can remember many training sorties where the cadet in the front seat stayed put for the whole sortie, maybe as many as 7 - 10 launches, due to the aircraft simply being put on the trolley in the field, and unloaded on the end of the next available cable at the launch point..

Aerials
17th Nov 2010, 14:39
Hi Pete, I took a Gliding Proficiency course at Catterick in the early 60s. I do remember those trailers you describe being designed for Cadet IIIs which we used in the second phase of training. During the first phase using Sedberghs they were usually ground handled (pushed!) but on occaisions when expediency was required the trailers were pressed into service to take the weight of the aircraft but they were never secured to the trailer and balanced using a wing-walker. Were the trailers modified to properly accept Sedberghs later?

sycamore
17th Nov 2010, 16:14
They look like slightly modified m/cycle,or small boat trailers...

POBJOY
17th Nov 2010, 18:33
The trailers were really only for MK3's which could be driven at quite a reasonable speed depending on the smoothness of the ground.
They were purpose built (welded steel) and only a problem when the driver forgot they were wider than the landrover towing it.
Of course 615 at Kenley built their own out of bolted duralamin and trialled a Sedburgh version with a double bogie wheel set up.
The Sedburgh's w/span created a huge moment arm for the attachment points on the trailer arms so was never a serious "tow" option.
Because the Kenley trailers had proper "glider type" balloon tyres they did not cut up the ground either.

WE992
17th Nov 2010, 20:37
There are two such trailers currently at Keevil, My T.21 shown in the photo erlier in this thread lives on one.

Arclite01
18th Nov 2010, 12:43
We always called them 'Trolley' as opposed to 'Trailer'

Our ones at 618 had 2 sets of ropes to clip on either Sedbergh or Cadet Mk3 as required............ AFAIR

Arc

ozleckie
19th Nov 2010, 06:06
There's posh!!

In 1958 at White Waltham I remember landing at various parts of the airfield and walking back to launch point holding up the wing tip while the old S/L , who was my instructor, picked mushrooms.