PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "The Chopper" documentary

KiwiBoyZac
16th Nov 2010, 21:20
Hi all,
Long shot, does anyone know where I can obtain a DVD of a 1980s doco called "The Chopper"? I have no idea who produced it, exact year, or who the English-sounding narrator is.

The film includes interviews with Hanna Reitsch, Bart Kelley (coworker of Arthur Young at Bell), Bell test pilot Ron Earhart, as well as researchers and engineers talking about such modern developments as voice-operated cockpits, sidestick control and solid-state instruments. The film is a wealth of historic footage, from the VS-300 in its various forms, Hughes XH-17 and the Bell Model 30, to contemporary prototypes such as the OH-6A NOTAR, Apache, Sikorsky ABC and the XV-15.

An acquaintance of my father's was kind enough to put the film onto VHS for him some years ago, but so far my search to find out who made the program, and if it is available in any form still, have been fruitless.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can provide.

Ascend Charlie
17th Nov 2010, 00:08
Yeah, I used to show it to students in my aerodynamics classes, but that copy stayed with the Uni and I would like to get it again.

I think it was a Discovery Channel production, and had to be before 1987.

Tickle
17th Nov 2010, 02:06
Would that be the same documentary as "Chopper: What Goes Up"? I have volume 3 of this series on like-new VHS. It's also called "The Chopper" on the back cover and just "Chopper" on the actual tape. From the back cover:

--
Chopper is a compelling production on the history of the helicopter and how it has become an essential part of our aviation history and future. Made for television - in 13 episodes - The Chopper series uses historical footage and interviews with historians, servicemen and military experts to show the history of the Helicopter from its original concepts to the strike weapon it is today.
--

Chapters (vol. 3): The Turbulent Fifties, Full Metal Gunship and Riders in the Sky.

--

Running time: 60 minutes.

--

Silver Trak Audio Video
Catalog No. SB 2015
Cover design by Nicki Powell

I tried chasing up the video label and production company but they don't seem to be operating anymore.

It has some incredible footage and a lot of information, would really like to obtain the other volumes one day.

If anyone can help, I'd be eternally greatful!

KiwiBoyZac
17th Nov 2010, 02:54
AC, thanks! I'm so relieved to hear of someone else who actually saw it! Please let me know if ever you find a copy.

Tickle - intriguing, but I'm inclined to think this film was a one-off. But I'd be very keen to see what you have, if you'd care at all to post it over? I'm happy to pay the cost of returning it to you, and transfer it to DVD for you also? Or if you could scan the cover, that would be great - if the typeface and any scenes are what I recognise, then We Have A Winner!

KiwiBoyZac
17th Nov 2010, 05:48
I'VE FOUND IT! It is a 1982 episode of the BBC series "Horizon". It can be watched online at the following address: Horizon - The Chopper (1982) on Veehd (http://veehd.com/video/3924484_Horizon-The-Chopper-1982)

I am absolutely over the moon happy, this is outstanding! Now to find someone to remaster it.....:D:D:D

500 Fan
8th Jul 2012, 21:09
Does anybody have a link to this video that isn't on veehd? The "software" required to view the video in that video format contains a virus.

I think a part of this documentary was up on youtube but I haven't been able to find it recently. I am really keen to find the part of this documentary that features the Hughes OH-6A NOTAR prototype. If anyone can help or somehow post this video up on youtube, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.

500 Fan.

SilsoeSid
8th Jul 2012, 23:24
500, have you tried downloading it from the site?
It is an avi file so should play on many of players out there.

I have successfully downloaded and previewed the 700mb avi file.
Just tried uploading it to youtube .... an hour later it says, 'video too long, sorry'.
:mad:

Just auth'd my new youtube account for files longer than 15 mins, but due to the time will have to upload it again tomorrow evening, if someone doesn't beat me to it :ok:

500 Fan
8th Jul 2012, 23:31
Thanks for the effort on this one, Silo. I look forward to seeing the video tomorrow. Thanks.

500 Fan.

SilsoeSid
9th Jul 2012, 19:28
On the case, hopefully should be up in about an hour :)

SilsoeSid
9th Jul 2012, 20:39
Here you go 500 :ok:

Horizon - The Chopper - YouTube

500 Fan
9th Jul 2012, 20:43
Thank you very much. I hope others enjoy this documentary too. Cheers.:ok:

500 Fan.