¿Que?

Nowt in't tabloids!

Union Jack
16th Nov 2010, 10:25
Try Sky ....:ok:

Jack

L J R
16th Nov 2010, 10:33
Well done HRH....So giving up Xmas as Duty SAR crew means that he can get preferential treatment for his honeymoon leave request.

orgASMic
16th Nov 2010, 10:40
The big question is:

Where is the big yellow SeaKing taking him and his bezzers for the stag party? It clearly will not be in Holyhead.

tezzer
16th Nov 2010, 10:52
that one's invitation is in the Royal Mail, Sir.

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2010, 11:32
Wonder if they'll revive the old pre-war full dress uniform for the wedding. George VI (Duke of York at the time) got married in it , so there's a royal precedent. It looked like this if you've never seen it:

File:AVM Lambe.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AVM_Lambe.jpg)

Thought it looked quite smart myself, with the exception of that ridiculous busby thingy. Nearly as bad as those stupid hats they inflict on the bandsmen these days.

BEagle
16th Nov 2010, 11:44
Congratulations from BEagle Towers!

"The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton," the statement said.

"The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.

"Prince William and Miss Middleton became engaged in October during a private holiday in Kenya.

"Prince William has informed The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince William has also sought the permission of Miss Middleton's father.

"Following the marriage, the couple will live in north Wales, where Prince William will continue to serve with the Royal Air Force

"....the couple will live in north Wales":

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/ValleyMQ.jpgDetached OMQ, RAF Valley?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/bog.jpg'The property benefits from designer bathroom facilities'

sycamore
16th Nov 2010, 12:34
Beags, does`nt the `detached OMQ` have `P%$$ Off Biggles ` on the other side ?

tezzer
16th Nov 2010, 12:34
Oooh, One's and one's dunnies !

How very quaint.

Wycombe
16th Nov 2010, 12:43
Being resident not too far from the young ladies' family seat, I expect the satellite trucks to be clogging our local roads imminently!

Bet she'll stop popping into Waitrose in my home town now aswell.

Good luck to them - a royal marriage that works will be refreshing.

Evening edit: the World's media (and a few boys in blue) have indeed descended!

Climebear
16th Nov 2010, 12:48
Tankertrashnav

IIRC King George VI made it know that, if the RAF were to reintroduce it's full dress uniform after WWII then they should choose a different hat. (The original was supposedly modelled on a WWI flying helmet).

It is a shame that we didn't reintroduce the uniform (with a decent SD hat); however, I doubt that we will ever see the right economic conditions again.

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2010, 13:45
Interesting Climebear, I didn't know that about the hat, and I totally agree with His Late Majesty! You're right, can't see it coming back, but a one-off for the wedding would be good, after all his bruv will no doubt be turning up as a cavalry officer in something flash - why should the pongoes have all the fancy uniforms?

(Just realised I'm as bad as all those women who are already wittering on about Kate's wedding dress :uhoh:)

D O Guerrero
16th Nov 2010, 15:11
Presumably, as he has a rank in all 3 services, he could choose to wear any uniform he likes? And I think we all know which is the smartest...

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2010, 15:36
Yes but as he is actually serving in the RAF it would be outrageous if he didn't wear RAF uniform. The grey funnel line & the pongoes are already over-represented on state occasions as it is (Cenotaph etc), so RAF it has to be.

Firestorm
16th Nov 2010, 15:42
Rum ration for the fleet. One bottle should do for everyone nowadays. Congratulations to them both!

Navy_Adversary
16th Nov 2010, 16:00
Maybe I am being a little synical here, but; has anyone noticed that the engagement announcement has been made on the same day as the government announced that UK Guantanamo Bay former residents, were going to get a million quid or so each?:suspect:

Anyway, congratulations to the couple, I hope it is a very happy marriage.

Warmtoast
16th Nov 2010, 16:43
Early Dress Uniform is rather smart and would suit Wills quite nicely, although the high collar would be uncomfortable I assume. I wonder has this photo been reversed? - I thought medals were worn over the left breast.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/DukeofYorkWeddingPhoto.jpg

2Planks
16th Nov 2010, 16:55
Perhaps they will get the Quarter at Valley that had the garden makeover in Ground Force (with Titchmarsh and 2 j**s IIRC) as a special pressy from DHE :O

Climebear
16th Nov 2010, 17:08
Warmtoast

Yes the picture is reversed

If the uniform was reintroduced it would enable Bridegrooms and Best men to wear the gold/blue over the jacket sword belt rather than the 'normal fitting' (under the jacket) sword belt that they should wear with No1 SD (the guard of honour can wear the ceremonial belt as they are required to draw their swords). Mind you, most Bridegrooms tend to ignore the dress regs and just go with the one that they think looks nicer.

airsound
16th Nov 2010, 17:53
Minor thread drift.

Does anyone remember the old Drill Sergeant saying
"You do not ave rust on a sword, Sir, only weddin cake."

airsound

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2010, 18:29
If the uniform was reintroduced it would enable Bridegrooms and Best men to wear the gold/blue over the jacket sword belt rather than the 'normal fitting' (under the jacket) sword belt that they should wear with No1 SD

You got me worried now, Climebear, are you telling me that 41+ years ago when I got married in No 1 with the ceremonial belt outside the tunic I was incorrectly dressed? Does that mean I'm not really married?

Funny how often you see pictures like that reversed, Warmtoast, happens all the time in the papers.

Climebear
16th Nov 2010, 18:46
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The vast majority of others seem to do likewise. The under the jacket belt is the normal fitting with the blue and gold belt generally worn on parade by those that need to draw swords (ie flight and parade commanders) and colour/standard bearers.

That said, I don't think that it constitutes grounds to annul your marriage.

Warmtoast
16th Nov 2010, 20:39
Tankertrashnav
Funny how often you see pictures like that reversed, Warmtoast, happens all the time in the papers.

A bit of digital mirror image manipulation and it's now the right way round as below.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/DukeofYorkWeddingPhoto-1.jpg

JagRigger
16th Nov 2010, 20:44
Talking of tradition, is the brides father paying for the do ? :E

teeteringhead
17th Nov 2010, 15:28
The pre-war Ceremonial is similar-ish to the current Bandmasters uniform - most famously - as has been stated - 'twas worn by HRH Duke of York (later George VI) when he married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (much later Queen Mum)

There is an interesting precedent for a new or "one off" ceremonial uniform. IIRC, when Capt Mark Phillips married Prinny Annie, his recently amalgamated fractional cavalry (QDG??) hadn't got around to designing a new ceremonial uniform for the new Regt. One was speedily designed, and the first two ever were worn by Capt Phillips and his Best Man (whom memory insists was called Eric - which seems a rather un-cavalry name...)

Don't know if it was then kept for the Regt, which has doubtless amalgamated again .....

EODFelix
17th Nov 2010, 16:43
TH,

!st The Queen's Dragoon Guards (the Welsh Cavalry) have never been one of the vulgar fractions, being created as an amalgamation of the 1st and 2nd Dragoon Guards in 1958 (some time before the 1973 wedding). Both 1st and 2nd Dragoon Guards were raised in 1685, with QDG holding order of precedence as the senior line cavalry regiment..

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2010, 16:52
As EODFelix has rightly said they haven't amalgamated again. I was looking them up in Lt Col Robin Hodges excellent book British Army Badges and that scarlet uniform worn by Captain Phillips for the wedding doesnt seem to figure, officers are portrayed wearing dark blue (or black?) No 1 Dress, so I think it must have been a one-off. Good excuse for Wills to go for it.

Talking of tradition, is the brides father paying for the do ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

They may have a better do if he does. A mate of mine was in Royal Protection and he told me the Windsors are notably stingy when it comes to shelling out their own money. Mind you I guess we'll be paying :(

EODFelix
17th Nov 2010, 17:32
Full dress:
"The tunic is scarlet with blue velvet facings and the Austrian knot in yellow cord on the sleeves, with the Bays’ collar badges. A white waist belt with metal plate buckle is worn, and the pouch belts carry the Bays’ badge on a black patent leather pouch box. The officer’s tunic had gold lace, and the waist and pouch belts are of gold lace, with a silver pouch box, carrying the Austrian eagle. The trousers are close cut overalls of blue, with a broad white stripe, worn over black boots with regimental pattern spurs."

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Graham/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.pnghttp://royalty5_3.tripod.com/0e890890.gif

Patrol Dress
"The blue No 1 patrol dress was modified to combine elements of both regiments. The tunic carries the collar badges of the Bays and has chain mail with the shoulder title ’QDG’ in early English lettering. The officers’ blue patrol jacket has no pockets on the skirt, and the sword is secured by two gold-laced straps from under the tunic. The blue overalls have the Bays’ broad white stripe and are worn over black boots with regimental pattern spurs. The cap is KDG design of blue cloth with a blue velvet stripe and the Austrian eagle as cap badge. The peak of the cap had a broad rim of gold lace for the officers, a thinner band of gold lace for warrant officers, and a plain black peak for all other ranks. The pouch belts for officers are as for full dress, with other ranks wearing a white belt with the Austrian eagle on the buckle."

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2010, 18:09
Thanks EOD, Col Hodges doesnt mention full dress in his book, which is why I assumed it had been allowed to slip into disuse.

teeteringhead
17th Nov 2010, 18:18
Many thanks Felix (and respect for the name)

Must be the "full ceremonial" I was thinking of, ISTR it was a one-off for some reason. Memory may be shaky, I was in Headley at the time, but that's another story!

And what of "Eric"?

Cows getting bigger
17th Nov 2010, 18:37
Is Kate really going to wear a dress like that? :)

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2010, 19:40
My parents were married around the same time - 1927 ish - and in their wedding photo mum is wearing a head dress/veil thingy just like that. She wore a very racy knee-length dress though!

Mr C Hinecap
17th Nov 2010, 20:00
Typical tho - singly bloke posted to somewhere remote decides to get married rather than live in the Mess! :E

vecvechookattack
17th Nov 2010, 21:19
Have you ever been to the mess at Valley

MidlandDeltic
18th Nov 2010, 11:33
JagRigger wrote : "Talking of tradition, is the brides father paying for the do ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif"

Nope - you lucky UK taxpayers will :p.

MD

Clockwork Mouse
18th Nov 2010, 11:47
MD
If there's anything left after bailing you lot out.

Whenurhappy
18th Nov 2010, 15:11
Whether the Republicans like it or not, this is going to be a Big Event.

Frankly, I don't begrudge about GBP1 per tax-payer head for something that will life spirits and raise the profile of the RAF and expunge purile celebs from the front pages of the media. Although that may be ironic, Wills and Kate (God willing!) will still be celebs in 40 years time. (Wills, please bring back proper ceremonial dress fro the RAF - perhaps with a proper Cap, field service as headwear, like the calvary, and reintroduce gold stripe on Mess overalls and spurs and...).

I'm working overseas and the level of interest is surprisingly high. Most people assume that Flt t Wales isn't really a proper SAR pilot and I have deelight in disbusing them of this notion.

WP

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
18th Nov 2010, 23:24
You'd better be quick, though; BBC News - Private firm to run search and rescue helicopters (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8506806.stm)

A major shake-up of the UK's search and rescue helicopter service has been announced by the government. The 24-hour service will be run by private consortium Soteria from 2012, from 12 bases across the UK.

GreenKnight121
18th Nov 2010, 23:32
Old news... announced last year, suspended by the new PM, now re-announced as if it was his idea.

CelineP
19th Nov 2010, 09:01
Congratulations to Kate and Wills! Best wishes for them. I really like this couple. The memories of Princess Diana are being relived especially since the couple broke their silence on their engagement (http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2010/11/16/prince-william-kate-middleton-engagement/). I am reminded of Princess Di's dedication to help the people. She is one remarkable woman. I just hope that this marriage will not have the same fate as that of Wills' parents.

teeteringhead
19th Nov 2010, 09:23
. Yes, it will cost the tax-payer a fortune but yes, the income from tourism and media rights will go cosmic. ... and not only that, I see that (at least) one firm in the Potteries is taking back previously redunded (is that a word?) staff to make the inevitable commemorative mugs - which at least will be made in England and not China.

Perhaps we should have a push to buy only English Wedding tat.....

Sook
19th Nov 2010, 09:46
Old news... announced last year, suspended by the new PM, now re-announced as if it was his idea.

And then condemned by the Shadow Secretary of State for Defence who has conveniently forgotten that it was his party who kicked the whole process off in the first place! You couldn't make it up.

snagged1
19th Nov 2010, 11:46
Considering that the Crown Estates (which were given by the royal family to the UK people/Govt) earn 100's of millions a year for the govt/british people, and are worth billions in asset value; the payment of the tiny civil list (40M - of which most goes on salaries of staff - good for jobs, and maintaining palaces - good for heritage) and perhaps the odd 10/20 mil here and there for a wedding is pretty insignificant....
Or perhaps the govt could swap it back - no more civil list/public money on protection etc of royals, and the royal family get the crown estates back to spend as they see fit.....

I personally hope they have a huge wedding that everyone can enjoy/feel proud of. Best wishes to them.

500days2do
19th Nov 2010, 13:13
Probably not the forum for this kind of thread but here goes...

Crown estates land etc would belong to the nation if we were a republic. We have a strange kind of monarchy really, one that is protected by the state, not in the historical sense of by themselves or their supporters. They have over the years accumilated these estates by deed foul or fair...not that anyone else has the might or the pockets to challenge them. We see now a Monarchy whose sole purpose is Commercial gain....their Tax evasion is monumental and the special privilage given to the junior members is one you would fight against if it were your child being penalised to make way for them. They don't survive on merit, they can't because you cannot undo a 1000 years of robbery, but shall we at least let them stand their own wedding doo and not rub our noses in their thrice name changed greco/german bloodline.

That's better...

5d2d :cool:

teeteringhead
19th Nov 2010, 13:20
Oh do come off the fence 5d2d and tell us what you really think ...;)

Problem with a republic is you need a President, and looking at those countries who have presidents - they don't come cheap! Don't think many would go on the 'bus/tube or live in council flats ....

And I can't think of any whose grandson's engagement would make the world's front pages .....

(and give some Stokies their jobs back (see my previous post #42) :ok:

snagged1
19th Nov 2010, 16:09
sounding just a little bit bitter there that you aren't in said family...:hmm:

Couldnt disagree more with you, but agree not the forum to do this.

Good luck to them on their wedding, and long may we keep our royal family.

Biggus
19th Nov 2010, 17:23
Here's an exercise in logic for you:

The present government (a mixture of Conservatives and Liberals) believe that, as students reap financial benefits from obtaining a degree then they should help to fund said degree. Labour agree with the concept, but differ in how payment should be made.... So, all the major UK political parties agree with the concept that, if you reap the reward then you should help with the costs.

Now, lets look at the royal wedding. The country as a whole is estimated to profit (in terms of tourism, goods sold, etc) by somewhere between £600M and £1Bn as a result of the wedding. Given that the country is going to profit, using the logic above, then the country (for which read the government) should contribute to the costs of the wedding......simples!! :ok:

green granite
19th Nov 2010, 17:47
We see now a Monarchy whose sole purpose is Commercial gain....their Tax evasion is monumental

The Queen is not obliged to pay taxes, she does so out of the kindness of her heart, so she cannot be accused of tax evasion

kaikohe76
19th Nov 2010, 17:56
Very well done & many congratulations Willis & Kate, go for it, do your own thing & forget all those supposed Royal experts out there!
Wonder just possibly if HMthe Q as a wedding present, may abdicate in favour of Wills thus by passing his father, I know which of them would get my vote!

Tankertrashnav
19th Nov 2010, 19:42
Wonder just possibly if HM the Q as a wedding present, may abdicate in favour of Wills thus by passing his father, I know which of them would get my vote!

You've got absoutely no chance of that happening. There is no likelihood of the Queen abdicating until she is too infirm to reign, and looking at her that ain't going to happen any time soon. And maybe some constitutional expert can confirm this, but I'm sure she can't arbitrarily mess around with the line of succession. So get used to the idea, it's Charlie next (unless HM outlives him, of course).

btw King Harald of Norway is 65th in line of succession to the British throne. Not a lot of people know that!

vecvechookattack
19th Nov 2010, 19:58
The mistake that 500days is making is assuming that the crown estate belongs to the sovereign ..... Not the case..... The crown estate is NOT the property of the royal family or the sovereign but it belongs to the crown

Wander00
19th Nov 2010, 22:29
The Crown foregoes the income from the Crown Estate in exchange for the sum vote in the Civil List

taxydual
19th Nov 2010, 23:20
Looking through this

The Crown Estate Annual Report 2010: Overview (http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/annual_report/overview/index.html)

HM gives more than she takes.

Worth every penny, I say, but discussion not for this thread, perhaps.

alwayslookingup
20th Nov 2010, 03:14
Okay, I'm going to be a bit provocative here. However, I've thought this for a while and it follows on from posts 50 & 51, which alluded to the following in a rather light hearted way. However, I believe we are heading for a constitutional crisis.

Her Majesty the Queen's now 84, Prince Charles is 62. Let's say the Queen reigns for another fifteen years, of which there's every every chance, based on her Mother's longevity. That would make Prince Charles 77, and Camilla round the same age, an old, self confessed adulterous and to be honest not particularly attractive couple.

In contrast we'll have William and Kate, late thirties in age, attractive, untainted by scandal (we trust), most likely a lovely young brood of kids, successful, well liked, popular (not just in this country but throughout the world) and in the prime of their lives.

JUST WHO DO WE THINK THE COUNTRY'S GOING TO WANT ON THE THRONE?

Okay, I know there's the proper line of succession, etc. But here's my thesis. I think the country will speak. There'll be such an upsurge in favour of William succeeding over his Father that Prince Charles will find it very difficult to accede to the throne, especially when sitting with him will be Camilla.

Set against that, of course, is the fact that Prince Charles doesn't really give a flying **** what the people think. I still think he'll be crowned as a face saver, but will reign a max five years before handing over.

But I think it's a possibility that the Monarchy and the Church of England need to start developing some strategies to cope with now.

GreenKnight121
20th Nov 2010, 05:20
Congratulations to Kate and Wills! Best wishes for them. I really like this couple. The memories of Princess Diana are being relived especially since the couple broke their silence on their engagement. I am reminded of Princess Di's dedication to help the people. She is one remarkable woman. I just hope that this marriage will not have the same fate as that of Wills' parents.

Consider the contrasts...

Charles and Diana met in July 1980, and the engagement was made 7 months later.

William and Kate have been together as friends for about 8 years, and have dated for 7 of those.

Charles never wanted to marry Diana... he admitted in a taped interview that he only went through with it because of strong pressure from his father. Before the wedding he allegedly told a friend "I don't love her, but she has the best qualities".

William and Kate have stayed together despite deliberate efforts of Palace functionaries to break them up.

Charles maintained contact with Camilla during the engagement, which caused Diana severe distress.

William and Kate tried to go their separate ways (3 years ago), but couldn't stand not being together.

I believe William and Kate's marriage is on a far, far stronger foundation, and is built of far superior material, than that of Charles and Diana.

500N
20th Nov 2010, 05:35
I'll add another difference that I think will become evident.

I think if the "Palace functionaries" start to push too hard,
they will be quietly put in place or "moved on" to other things,
regardless of standing or years of service.

This is partly because William is stronger than his father and
won't be afraid to invoke "the past" to remind them what happened
last time.

vecvechookattack
20th Nov 2010, 08:00
The Prince of Wales will be the next monarch. That's because it is a monarchy not a democracy. This isn't X Factor - you can't vote him off.... The monarchy is not a popularity contest ( ask George the third) ..... once Prince Charles is crowned then there will be another investiture as William is invested as the Prince of Wales and Kate will be Princess of Wales..... that's the way it works..... That's the law and only the monarchy can change the law Unlikely

The Old Fat One
20th Nov 2010, 08:17
btw King Harald of Norway is 65th in line of succession to the British throne. Not a lot of people know that!

B**ll**ks,

That's pushed me another place down the list!

Tankertrashnav
20th Nov 2010, 10:33
B**ll**ks,

That's pushed me another place down the list

At least you're on it, mate. I'm a Catholic, so I've got no chance ;)

vecvechookattack
20th Nov 2010, 11:47
At least Henry VIII did something right

TheWizard
20th Nov 2010, 21:49
According to this particular femi-Nazi, HRH is a typically lazy, insensitive useless sexist male!
Prince William and Male Privilege (http://www.doublex.com/blog/xxfactor/prince-and-frying-pan-1#add-comment)

So, let's recap. He admits, with a blinding lack of introspection, that, once he was making headway with Middleton, he quit trying to cook, forcing her to choose between a kitchen fire and taking over dinner prep. Kinda like a bad, very bad sitcom: The Prince and the Proscuitto. Even if he's attempting self-deprecation here, it's still sexist and insulting.
Here's why: He bothered to master searching for and rescuing Brit GI's in extremis, under enemy fire, but shepherd's pie or bubble and squeak? Too hard, just too damn hard without lives hanging in the balance (i.e. public recognition). Something tells me he didn't get all "lazy" and burn, overspill, or catch anything on fire on his harrowing job. On the other hand, in Penis World, when women get home from work (Middleton is middle class and, like, worked), or want to collapse on the couch after 12 hours of child care, "spending loads of time cooking" is no problem at all. Likely because no one will ride to the "search and rescue" if they burn, overspill ... you get my drift. But they will look down on women who punt and serve take-out. left overs, or microwave fare too often.

Can't see the problem myself! (apart from the "rescuing Brit Gis under enemy fire" bit):ok:

Tankertrashnav
21st Nov 2010, 08:21
Careful when you're training in Snowdonia you "British GI's" - those Welsh farmers can be pretty handy with their 12 bores ;)

green granite
21st Nov 2010, 09:18
Seems like a good idea to me.

The majority of the British public want Prince William to leapfrog his father and become the next king of England, according to new polls.

More than half (55 per cent) would like the Prince of Wales to stand aside to allow Prince William to ascend directly to the throne, according to a survey for the News of the World

Full article: Britons want Charles to step aside for william - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101121/tuk-britons-want-charles-to-step-aside-f-dba1618.html)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
21st Nov 2010, 09:23
One of the greatest strengths of the Monarch is that no elections and pandering to the standard ballot box fodder is required. Buggering around with the batting order could well be the thin end of that wedge.

BBadanov
21st Nov 2010, 09:26
vecvec: At least Henry VIII did something right

What? By marrying 6 chicks?? :bored:
Or cutting their heads off?? :E

vecvechookattack
21st Nov 2010, 09:32
History not a strong point then? Only 2 were beheaded.

BBadanov
21st Nov 2010, 10:18
Well sorry, I have a short memory span.

Aim between the eyes
21st Nov 2010, 10:52
:eek: You cant mess around with a constitutional monarchy! :=

Prince Charles must be King (if he's still alive by then, i.e. outlives his mother) or it undermines the whole process of accession. All that would do is give ammunition to abolish the monarchy to those pond-life who would rather see our heritage and history forgotten.

Exnomad
21st Nov 2010, 10:58
The occasional republican in these forums cannot see that President Blair or sinilar (perish the thought) would never be cheaper to run than the present monarchy.
They would never be satisfied with draughty old palaces, and would demand a complete refit at least, to say nothing of the protection costs.

Neptunus Rex
21st Nov 2010, 11:16
BBadanov

No Sir, by founding the Royal Navy.

Neptunus Rex
21st Nov 2010, 11:29
Exnomad

Her Majesty is a huge net contributor to the British Economy. She also has the best security in the world in the form of The Household Brigade, every man-jack of whom would gladly take a bullet for her.

The additional Police Protection Unit has already proven their mettle, when Jim Beaton took three hits whilst taking care of Princess Anne 36 years ago. Quite rightly, Jim was awarded the George Cross.

BEagle
21st Nov 2010, 11:59
No Sir, by founding the Royal Navy.Or perhaps he was referring to the dissolution of the monasteries and the split from Roman Catholicism under Bluff King Hal?

Tankertrashnav
21st Nov 2010, 15:26
I rather think that if you read the last post on the previous page vecvechookattack was approving of the fact that since Henry VIII, we left-footers have been excuded from the line of succession. Still, the British king can't be Pope either, so yah boo sucks to the lot of you ;)

On the question of the poll about who should be king, it seems that most people in this country have watched so many trash programes such as Big Brother, X Factor etc that they think that they should be allowed to phone in to vote for their choice.

vecvechookattack
21st Nov 2010, 15:42
Exactly correct Tanker and also correct in the popularity contest.... The line of accession is an act of parliament and will be followed.

cats_five
21st Nov 2010, 19:17
I rather think that if you read the last post on the previous page vecvechookattack was approving of the fact that since Henry VIII, we left-footers have been excuded from the line of succession. Still, the British king can't be Pope either, so yah boo sucks to the lot of you ;)

Err.... No. Mary Tudor was a Catholic, so was James II and it took the Act of Settlement of 1701 to formally bar Catholics from the throne.

Linedog
21st Nov 2010, 20:35
I can see a quick pro-board coming up. He'll have to make Sqn Bleeder before he get's wed. :ok:

Jinkster
21st Nov 2010, 23:06
According to the ITV programme - Kate's father Micheal Middleton was a pilot, I'm sure I read somewhere he's was dispatcher??
Anyone??

Union Jack
22nd Nov 2010, 00:04
At least Henry VIII did something right

Slight thread drift but, whilst I agree with TTN that Vecvechook was actually winding up TTN himself, I would politely remind "HM King Neptune" that, whilst he has indeed some justification for his comment about King Henry VIII, namely"No Sir, by founding the Royal Navy", the Royal Navy is considered to have been formed formally in 1660.

However, King Alfred the Great is usually considered to have been the original founder of the Navy - in the 9th century!:ok:

Jack

rmac
22nd Nov 2010, 04:05
Jinkster,

He managed to find the money to put Kate through Malborough, unlikely on a dispatchers pay ?

cats_five
22nd Nov 2010, 06:26
The Middletons made their money setting up and running a mail-order company, not working as a despatcher and hostie - I think it is called Party Pieces. Hence, their daughter went to an expensive school.

NUFC1892
22nd Nov 2010, 06:53
[/URL][URL="http://www.pprune.org/members/197759-linedog"]Linedog (http://www.pprune.org/members/197759-linedog)

I can see a quick pro-board coming up. He'll have to make Sqn Bleeder before he get's wed.
(http://www.pprune.org/members/197759-linedog)

I am pretty sure his Dad went straight from Flt Lt to Wg Cdr, missing out Sqn Ldr completely. There must be someone on here who can confirm or deny this?

Blacksheep
22nd Nov 2010, 07:11
they think that they should be allowed to phone in to vote for their choice.Well it wasn't quite a phone-in vote, but it was public opinion that provoked the abdication - because King Edward chose to marry a woman who was unacceptable as Queen. Public opinion is warning Charles that he's headed in a similar direction. The public have accepted Camilla as his wife, but his recently announced intention to have her as Queen rather than Princess Consort is not (at present anyway) acceptable.

I've always found the two princes' choice of the surname "Wales" rather odd but now that Prince William has placed his mother's ring into the public eye its becoming clear that he doesn't consider himself to be a paid up member of the Windsor family. That ring will be right in the face of HRH Prince Charles and Mrs Camilla Windsor at every gathering of the Royal Family for the rest of their lives. Its a pretty potent statement.

Mushroom_2
22nd Nov 2010, 07:49
The Middletons made their money setting up and running a mail-order company, not working as a despatcher and hostie - I think it is called Party Pieces. Hence, their daughter went to an expensive school.

This is interesting:

Royal Wedding: Middletons' money - how was it made? - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8147929/Royal-Wedding-Middletons-money-how-was-it-made.html)

BEagle
22nd Nov 2010, 08:54
Why doesn't Andrew Gilligan just mind his own damn business. Who cares how the Middletons became wealthy - slavering journos should $od off and find something better to stick their worthless snouts into.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
22nd Nov 2010, 09:20
I am pretty sure his Dad went straight from Flt Lt to Wg Cdr, missing out Sqn Ldr completely.

As I remember it, he did serve as SLt, Lt and Lt Cdr RN inbetween.

500N
22nd Nov 2010, 09:22
"Why doesn't Andrew Gilligan just mind his own damn business. Who cares how the Middletons became wealthy - slavering journos should $od off and find something better to stick their worthless snouts into."

Agreed.
At least they don't sit around sucking the Government dry on benefits.
Sounds a bit like the Tall Poppy syndrome at work.

Trim Stab
22nd Nov 2010, 09:32
Am I alone in finding this public discussion on Pprune of a serving RAF Officer, and his fiancée's family, rather distasteful?

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2010, 09:38
I taught at Marlborough for a short while in the 90's and loved it. It was a good mix, whilst there were some very rich kids there (one Chinese 6th former I taught personally owned flats in Manhattan, Mayfair and Hong Kong!) there were also pupils on bursaries from much lower income families, eg the school had special arrangements for the children of clergymen. Full fees are just shy of £30k pa now, btw, needless to say none of my kids went there!

500N has it right - definitely the Tall Poppy syndrome at work, probably from journos who'd be very reluctant to admit their own earnings.

airborne_artist
22nd Nov 2010, 09:51
This is interesting:

Royal Wedding: Middletons' money - how was it made? - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8147929/Royal-Wedding-Middletons-money-how-was-it-made.html)

But completely off-topic. None of our business, and nothing to do with military aviation.

Q-RTF-X
22nd Nov 2010, 12:15
I taught at Marlborough for a short while in the 90's and loved it. It was a good mix, whilst there were some very rich kids there (one Chinese 6th former I taught personally owned flats in Manhattan, Mayfair and Hong Kong!) there were also pupils on bursaries from much lower income families, eg the school had special arrangements for the children of clergymen. Full fees are just shy of £30k pa now, btw, needless to say none of my kids went there!

And, for interests sake I wish to add that my grand daughter attends the same "exclusive" school that Kate Middleton attended. My grand daughter is on a bursary and my daughter is a hardworking single parent with no special "connections", she just sweats blood most of the time making ends meet.

cats_five
22nd Nov 2010, 12:30
<snip>
there were also pupils on bursaries from much lower income families, eg the school had special arrangements for the children of clergymen.
<snip>

Not surprising about the arrangements for children of clergymen since it was founded to educuate them - the males that is. Obviously it's spread it's wings a bit since 1843.

Bluey Snuttzov
22nd Nov 2010, 12:44
Am I alone in finding this public discussion on PPRuNe of a serving RAF Officer, and his fiancée's family, rather distasteful?

Absolutely not Trim Stab, absolutely not.

Bluey Snuttzov
22nd Nov 2010, 12:47
Quote:
This is interesting:

But completely off-topic. None of our business, and nothing to do with military aviation.Hear, hear! :D

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2010, 16:34
Could easily be fixed with a thread transfer to Jet Blast (MODs ?). I keep looking for it there anyway as it seems like a JB thread to me.

Fareastdriver
22nd Nov 2010, 18:21
I think that it has been flogged to death. Just close it.

Jhieminga
22nd Nov 2010, 18:44
Prince To The Rescue (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Prince_To_The_Rescue_203678-1.html)

(attempting to get back on topic...)

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2010, 23:17
I think that it has been flogged to death. Just close it.

One man's flogged to death is another man's interesting ongoing discussion. Personally I find "My Beautiful Weber" a pointlessly tedious thread (what more can there be left to say about burning sausages after four and a half years) but others obviously disagree with me, so I dont object to it continuing ad nauseam. I just ignore it, which is what I suggest anyone who is bored with this thread does.

Clockwork Mouse
23rd Nov 2010, 07:42
"My Beautiful Weber" may well be a pointlessly tedious thread, but it is also completely inoffensive. This thread, on the other hand, is all about an identified serving RAF officer, his private life and extended family with some posts treating the subject less than sympathetically. That is unkind, dishonourable and offensive in my old fashioned view.
Close it.

Blacksheep
23rd Nov 2010, 08:40
The "identified RAF officer" happens to be no ordinary RAF officer, but a public figure, born into a family and personal position that exposes him to the full glare of public scrutiny in everything he does for the whole of his life - and that includes here on PPRuNe. He seems to have come to terms with this prospect and has already begun to manipulate the system to suit his own purposes. Hence the controversial use of his mother's engagement ring. If its OK for him to provoke comment, it should be OK for the rest of us to comment and discuss as we - and apparently the officer concerned - wish.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Nov 2010, 08:54
"My Beautiful Weber" may well be a pointlessly tedious thread

For what seemed like years, until I read it, I could not understand how people could write so much about a bloody carburettor.

As they say, one lives ans learns.

500days2do
23rd Nov 2010, 12:00
Do you really expect us to carry on without comment on all he says and does?

I am no Royalist, as you will see from my previous postings on HRH, but I do feel sorry for him. If he thinks the press and shall I say the public too, will let him carry on his life regardless without snooping into all his dirty linen, he needs to wake and smell the coffee. The era of doffing one's cap will end with the demise of Queen Elizabeth II...no modern self respecting nation should accept the unqualified privalage of Royalty in this 'day and age'. They should be resigned to the history books...you would never accept someones automatic promotion/position in your place of work just of because who their dad is....

5d2d

BEagle
23rd Nov 2010, 12:15
A pity it's that many days left....

May I suggest you take your republican / socialist views and insert them firmly where the sun doesn't shine.

Whereas here the sun actually is shining for once. But not quite strongly enough for the mighty black orb to be roused from its hibernation.

Oh yes, in case you've missed it: Clarence House has announced that HRH Prince William and Miss Kate Middleton will marry on Friday 29 April at Westminster Abbey.

sled dog
23rd Nov 2010, 13:44
Beagle, anyone is allowed their own opinion, or is The Tower still an option ? For myself, i am totally disinterested in the forthcoming nuptials, and i am very glad not to be in the UK having to stand the BBC, etc, dripping on all day. But i wish the couple luck, because they will need it.

knowitall
23rd Nov 2010, 14:38
500daystodo

what's the alternative?

Some grinning sh*t of a politician, how does "President Thatcher", or "President Blair" grab you?

no thanks whilst constitutional monarchy is a long way from perfect its a damn sight better than the alternative of a politicised head of state

"If he thinks the press and shall I say the public too, will let him carry on his life regardless without snooping into all his dirty linen, he needs to wake and smell the coffee."

not in the era of the super injunction he doesn't!

teeteringhead
23rd Nov 2010, 15:48
no thanks whilst constitutional monarchy is a long way from perfect its a damn sight better than the alternative of a politicised head of state ... was it Churchill or possibly Bagehot who said something along the lines of:

"The British system is the worst in the World - apart from all the others....."

Not perfect, but try and find an alternative that would be (on balance) cheaper, let alone better....

Old-Duffer
23rd Nov 2010, 16:10
The constitutional monarchy is the envy of much of the world and it has served us well for centuries. If there is a sensible alternative as 'head of state' then let us hear what it is.

One needs to set aside the strengths/weaknesses of individual incumbents if one is to take an objective view but that is very difficult when the current head of state has served us so well for neigh on 60 years.

I for one am satisfied with the monarchy and all its imperections both real and imagined and find it difficult to see what alternative we might adopt; certainly not an elected head of state and certainly not a head of state appointed through some collegiate system.

Perhaps the EU will direct us on this matter NO NO, I was only joking!!!!

O-D

chopd95
23rd Nov 2010, 17:01
"privalage"???
(apologies for joioning the spelling police, but really?)

HRH is privileged, and is not simply an RAF officer - get over it?

Would you really want the "head of state" per France, Italy etc - though the lovely Carla B does add a cetain something!!

We have a constitutional monarchy, and a constitution that, though no longer truely "unwritten", serves us well. I remind myself of the grant of our Commissions, and of the Colours that are proudly borne. Not out of some sense of feudal obeisance, but because such things represent a sense of history and continuity, and a deep respect for those who have have gone before.

Republicanism?! Even the staunchest socialists couldn't decide how to reform the House of Lords!

I for one will enjoy the Bank Holiday, and raise a congratulatory glass or several !

Easy Street
23rd Nov 2010, 19:07
Wouldn't normally bother with spelling police but this one tickled me:

the current head of state has served us so well for neigh on 60 years

I know the Windsors are a horsey bunch, but really!

groper
23rd Nov 2010, 19:36
"privalage"???
(apologies for joioning the spelling police, but really?)

Oooooooops.:)

chopd95
24th Nov 2010, 18:32
Groper - well spotted- guilty as charged!
Mitigation statement - not a true spelling error m'lord, simply a spot of finger trouble after a glass or 3 of your finest sauvignon blanc!!

The Old Fat One
25th Nov 2010, 07:01
finest sauvignon blanc

Oxymoron surely

F3sRBest
25th Nov 2010, 11:01
Oxymoron surely

Oh great... a wine snob... ! ;)

BEagle
25th Nov 2010, 12:03
Aircrew wine assessment:

1. Good white wine = white wine which wasn't made in Cyprus.
2. Good red wine = something you don't need to cut with Sprite at a kebabex.
3. Rosé wine = something someone else once brought to a barbi' (e.g. 'Blush' White Zinfandel from the BX).
4. Champagne = anything fizzy.
5. Good champagne = as above, but which also gets ladies 'in the mood'.

When you've been breathing through a P/Q mask for thousands of hours, swigging Wobbly and eating 5* vindaloos, all this "Virtuous little chap; bold start with mellow, pulchritudinous end notes" is frankly a load of utter bolleaux!

Blacksheep
25th Nov 2010, 14:11
... was it Churchill or possibly Bagehot who said something along the lines of:

"The British system is the worst in the World - apart from all the others....."
Churchill was quoting Aristotle when he said that "Democracy is the worst of all political systems" and then added his own rider "...apart from the rest."

Aristotle of course considered Aristocracy (i.e. Rule by the Best) as the best system. By which he meant rule by those (...the Aristos) who had the intellect, purest morality and time to devote to government.

People like himself of course. :rolleyes:

chopd95
25th Nov 2010, 20:34
Aah Beagle vieux sport - vraiment un connoisseur mon brave!

Possible alternative:

White wine - the alc left by the ladies, when the beer and red has run out

Red wine - "go on then, if the beer's gone"

Rose - found at the back of the fridge, brought to webber fest by someone of dubious sexuality - you don't want to, but you know you will when the locker runs dry

Champagne - a "young? "lady?" of scouse extraction at a party - " do youse all know this is from champagne - wheres that like?"

Tankertrashnav
25th Nov 2010, 21:11
brought to webber fest by someone of dubious sexuality

Those flipping Webers again !

chopd95
25th Nov 2010, 21:18
If HRH doesn't have one - wedding present idea !!

kluge
26th Nov 2010, 04:44
gas or charcoal ? :E

aviate1138
26th Nov 2010, 04:52
If more Brits worked as hard as Her Maj then we would be in much better shape than at present.

How old is she and still working many days in the year? The alternative of having someone such as Tony B Liar representing Great Britain doesn't bear thinking about! :rolleyes:

Old-Duffer
26th Nov 2010, 05:40
............. is not Aviate1138, for gentlemen to discuss (this will lead to the obvious retort that there are few gentlemen on PPRUNE) but she was born in 1926! Her consort is close to 90 and, if I've not been trapped by the Grim Reaper, I hope I can still cut it like he does.

Your comments as to her energy and commitment are spot on and I believe her to be a remarkable lady and leader.

I challenge anybody on this forum to outline an alternative system which would fit the Commonwealth model and, importantly, to nominate a candidate for the role (Mandela's too old).

O-D

500N
26th Nov 2010, 05:55
Old-Duffer

Well said.

Re "I challenge anybody on this forum to outline an alternative system which would fit the Commonwealth model and, importantly, to nominate a candidate for the role (Mandela's too old)."

I think the hard part will be finding someone who is not going to lie (a min of 2 US Presidents + many politicians), get caught out or get caught in compromising situations (at least 1 recent US President + many politicians), or have the back bone like the current Queen.

Or have the drawing power that helps the British tourist industry.

taxydual
26th Nov 2010, 06:30
Bugger, I hope no-one puts that challenge to the general public!!

We'll end up with one of the Beckhams as HM, or even worse Cheryl Cole!!!

teeteringhead
26th Nov 2010, 08:08
But as pres we'd never get someone as successful and charismatic (sic) as B Liar. Certainly looking at Europe, it's the "never quite made the top rank" politicians who end up as Head of State (largely functionless) rather than Head of Government.

So we'd end up with the likes of Ted Heath, Denis Healey or Jeremy Thorpe. (NB the likes of, a living President, although more expensive, would be preferable). Or even (OMG as the youth would have it) the Cyclopean North Briton! :ugh:

Edited to add: I recall quite a few years ago (20+) one of the Sundays did indeed carry out a public poll - the Duke of Edinburgh won! But not now I fear - o tempora, o mores!

NUFC1892
26th Nov 2010, 08:20
[/URL][URL="http://www.pprune.org/members/233450-taxydual"]taxydual (http://www.pprune.org/members/233450-taxydual)

We'll end up with one of the Beckhams as HM, or even worse Cheryl Cole!!!
(http://www.pprune.org/members/233450-taxydual)

Happy to serve under Ms Cole, any time, anywhere

Grumpy106
26th Nov 2010, 08:25
Concur with NUFC1892 ;)

Moldiold2
26th Nov 2010, 10:24
If Mandela is too old how about a near namesake for President - Mandelson? :E

Old-Duffer
26th Nov 2010, 15:27
............. with Mandy is that he might have to resign, if past form is anything to go by.

There are some countries where they appoint/elect their head of state but more often than not they're a pretty dull cove. The exception that springs to mind is Mary McAlesse: the Irish President. From what I understand, she is very well regarded and is a role model for other heads of state who are not heriditary.

If we were to forced into abolishing the monarchy, I cannot think of anybody I should wish to have as head of state, who has the gravitas, respect of the public or intelligence to carry off the role. That said, when one of the old Commonwealth countries decides to leave the 'club', it will be fascinating to see how they go about it and who the make head of state.

O-D

Fareastdriver
26th Nov 2010, 17:46
At the moment: Peter Siddle.

sled dog
26th Nov 2010, 19:23
F E D, is that for Oz or UK ? :O

The Old Fat One
26th Nov 2010, 22:37
Be you monarchists or republicans, you are all wrong.

There is but one true king.

His name is Eric Cantona

500N
26th Nov 2010, 22:55
TOFO

"His name is Eric Cantona"

Well, you have the boozing, drug and womanising, the only thing
is he's not an Ex Politician.

vecvechookattack
28th Nov 2010, 09:07
Prince William: Let my father become King - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/8165275/Prince-William-Let-my-father-become-King.html)

cazatou
28th Nov 2010, 12:00
Vecvec

There is the precedent of the Duke of Windsor.

vecvechookattack
28th Nov 2010, 13:42
Very true.... It seems quite odd that just 70 years ago the very idea of the King being married to a divorcee was enough to force him to abdicate.... and the very notion of the King being married to a commoner was absolutely frowned upon and just not done.....

Oh how things change

cazatou
28th Nov 2010, 14:01
70 Years ago I believe that most people were more concerned with getting to the Air Raid Shelter in time to get a place to sleep!!

teeteringhead
28th Nov 2010, 18:01
There is the precedent of the Duke of Windsor. .. which still rankles at No 1 Coronation Street (aka Buck House).

Her late Maj the Queen Mum (gawd bless 'er) blamed her husband's early death on the unanticipated strain of Kingship - during a war too. And so blamed Wallis and Eddie for it all. (Personally I think the 40 a day might have something to do with it)

Mind you - I can't imagine Ed VIII and Mrs doing as well as Geo VI and his .....

Old-Duffer
29th Nov 2010, 05:54
Well said TTH.

We were pretty lucky with the last King & Queen. I think she was probably made of stern stuff and he, despite the stammer and the shyness, did his duty admirably. Furthermore, as The Queen Mother (a title not used before eg 'King/Queen Mother' - Alexandra or Mary) the lady continued to make a contribution to our society to the very end of her years.

Two years after her death, I made a proposition through 'official channels' and an article in a military magazine, that the 'Order of Elizabeth' be created to honour those involved specifically in volunteer and charitable work. Didn't get anywhere but of course we now have the 'Elizabeth Cross' for something equally worthy.

O-D

vecvechookattack
29th Nov 2010, 06:29
Ah...the Good old Queen Mother....The Most dangerous woman in Europe.... Gawd Bless 'Er

500N
29th Nov 2010, 06:37
Old Duffer

I think that most people of that era were made of stern stuff,
especially those that came through the World Wars.

Remembering what my Grand parents / parents went through before
and during the war (Rationing, being shot up by a German plane (Stuka)
in Croydon, V1's, V2's).

Just my HO.

PlasticCabDriver
29th Nov 2010, 08:47
I'm sure it's not as easy as just saying "OK, I'll pass it on to William". When the reigning sovereign dies, the next in line becomes sovereign whether they like it or not.

There is no law that allows for abdication, when Edward VII did it an act of parliament was needed, a new one would be needed for Charles. When Edward abdicated he gave up any rights of succession for his heirs, if he were subsequently to have any.

The act directed that his brother Albert (who became George on succession) would succeed:

and accordingly the member of the Royal Family then next in succession to the Throne shall succeed thereto and to all the rights, privileges, and dignities thereunto belonging. but the next para in the act

(2) His Majesty, His issue, if any, and the descendants of that issue, shall not after His Majesty’s abdication have any right, title or interest in or to the succession to the Throneremoves any right of succession to his heirs if he were to have any. He had no children, but Charles has, so the 2 paras would directly contradict if applied to this case.

All too complicated for me, I'm off for a lie down.

Moldiold2
29th Nov 2010, 10:18
Vev, according to E. L. Whisty (aka Peter Cook) the Queen Mum was the brains behind the Great train Robbery :E

vecvechookattack
29th Nov 2010, 17:28
Thats a very good point Plastic.... So if the POW abdicates...who is next in line to pick up the tab...?

Is it the DOY perhaps?

So if the POW abdicates his heirs and successors would forfeit their rights to the throne and it would fall to The Duke of York.... and then when he dies we get Queen Beatrice.

Old-Duffer
30th Nov 2010, 05:57
Given earlier posts, if an abdication requires an act of parliament, then it would be phrased in a way that suits the peculiar circumstances.

When King Edward VIII abdicated, the need was to ensure any children he might produce later did not come back into the equation. If Charles abdicated, a similar act would be drafted to suit his peculiar circumstances to ensure that the succession was determined in advance. (There is still the thorny issue of - can't spell - 'primo geniter' to get a female of the line to succeed).

The other issue is that if the Queen lives to a very grand age and (say) Camilla was unwell, Charles might 'disclaim' before he gets to be king. Presumably, that also requires an act of parliament.

Anyway: let's just wish Prince William and Miss Middleton a happy and contented life together.

O-D

vecvechookattack
30th Nov 2010, 06:01
Hear hear .......

SOSL
30th Nov 2010, 09:16
"truely"?? Sp Pol ......

Blacksheep
30th Nov 2010, 09:29
The other issue is that if the Queen lives to a very grand age and (say) Camilla was unwell, Charles might 'disclaim' before he gets to be king. Presumably, that also requires an act of parliament.
Her Majesty, God Bless Her, shows every sign of living to a great age and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that She might, like my own grandmother, outlive Her elder offspring. An outcome that would solve any succession problems.

Clockwork Mouse
30th Nov 2010, 09:41
What succession problems are those then? The succession is not the X-factor or Strictly come dancing whose outcome is governed by public sentiment, despite the the media stirring. It is crystal clear. That is the beauty of it.

Tallsar
30th Nov 2010, 09:49
Loyal servant and now subject of HM I maybe, but it is intriguing why we have such a discussion on here ...a military aircew thread...especially when the FAA and RAF are in the process of being devasted by our "elected" polticians.....a touch more signifcant for all of us perhaps? I feel sure if HM had the law in her direct hands as used to be....things would be very different...Ah Well......

BTW Whenever I have had the pleasure of working with (in the past!) or seeing him in professional or social circumstances, I have no doubt that HRH Charles has the potential to be a great King....despite the fact he will probably have little time to make a real impact. There's too much of the Diana sympathy vote surrounding William...which will not help him in the long run despite his developing qualities..and the fact he's a SARBOY of course!;):D

Old-Duffer
30th Nov 2010, 10:04
Talsar,

Because our government is chopping its armed forces to bits, does not mean that all we do and say must perforce be doom and gloom. Many threads on this site deal with the more serious and contentious events; this thread happens to deal with the Royal family (in part).

Enjoy the thread but if it's not for you, there are plenty of other topics.

O-D

teeteringhead
30th Nov 2010, 10:12
She might, like my own grandmother, outlive Her elder offspring... although with a maternal grannie who topped the "ton", and a father still active approaching 90, PoW clearly has good "long distance" genes from both sides.

But indeed likely to be a bit Queen Vic as followed by Ed VII. In fact, IIRC, both Queens produced their heirs at age 22.

Tallsar
30th Nov 2010, 10:55
Just for you OD :cool::D:)

Blacksheep
30th Nov 2010, 13:22
What succession problems are those then?There are several and they all revolve around HRH's choice of wife. She is to put it bluntly, unacceptable as Queen to a significantly large number of our citizens. At the same time, HRH has chosen to reveal that it is his wish to make her his Queen rather than the less controversial Princess Consort. As we have already seen, such a situation can result in public pressure for abdication. Pressure that brought about that very end.

Tankertrashnav
30th Nov 2010, 14:53
Not much new to say on this thread now so I'll just pick up on a couple of scraps

Loyal servant and now subject of HM I may be,

Think I'm right in saying that we are now no longer subjects, Tallsar, but UK citizens (various sub- divisions of citizenship depending on your origins).

There is still the thorny issue of - can't spell - 'primo geniter'

That's 'primogeniture', OD, always happy to oblige (once a teacher, always a teacher ;)).

Old-Duffer
30th Nov 2010, 15:57
... Tankertrashnav, I'm obliged to you for the spelling.

As to Blacksheep's comments; whilst I take the point that the PoW's wife might be an issue, I think the longer time passes, the 'Diana Factor' lessens. I also understand that de facto and de jure, when Charles becomes King, his wife becomes Queen and it would take another of, the much mentioned above, acts of parliament to change the status from Queen to Queen Consort. In any event what does Queen Consort mean? In the case of the Duke of Edinburgh's status, there was never an issue and he takes his precedence behind the Queen and has and never has had, any right of accession.

Whatever title is given to Camilla, other than Queen, it will only be a sop to the great unwashed who hanker back to Princess Diana. It is interesting to see an apparently warm relationship between the Princes William and Harry and their step-mother and I suspect any sort of statement from them to say that she should and will be their father's Queen will smack any debate firmly on the head. I also think that we could find our present monarch making some comment on the matter and it is also worth noting that the Duchess of Cornwall takes a full part in the discharge of royal duties both with her husband and in her own right.

O-D (pontificating over for today!!)

pontifex
30th Nov 2010, 18:54
OD, well said! I think you speak for most of us - unfortunately, the silent majority. Tallsar, yes I have had the similar pleasure and quite agree with you.

PlasticCabDriver
30th Nov 2010, 19:52
Old-Duffer,

I also understand that de facto and de jure, when Charles becomes King, his wife becomes Queen and it would take another of, the much mentioned above, acts of parliament to change the status from Queen to Queen Consort.Not quite. There can only be one monarch, so the wife of the King is not the Queen. She will only ever be Queen Consort. She is called "Queen", but not THE Queen. Whatever she is called, Camilla will be Queen Consort, but as you said, as a "sop to the great unwashed" the plan was to simply call her Princess Consort instead. Diana would have only have been Queen Consort too.

Our current Queen is THE Queen, because she is the monarch (Queen Regnant). Her husband could never be King, which is why Philip is a Prince Consort, but is called "Prince" in much the same way.

Jolly confusing this.

Nobody mention the Statute of Westminster 1931.

teeteringhead
1st Dec 2010, 17:34
I think the longer time passes, the 'Diana Factor' lessens. ... exactly so O-D.

In fact, Camilla is at the moment Princess of Wales - cos that's what you call the wife of the Prince.

In the same way as O-D's wife would be Mrs O-D, whether she chooses to call herself that or not!

Personally I think "Countess of Chester" has a nicer ring to it, although of course a junior title to that of a Duchess.

ZH875
1st Dec 2010, 19:51
There can only be one monarch, so the wife of the King is not the Queen. She will only ever be Queen Consort. She is called "Queen", but not THE Queen.

Jolly confusing this.

Queen Mary, the wife of King William was THE Queen at the same time her husband was THE King.

The Monarchy was Joint.

Jolly confusing.

Let's hope HRH Prince Charles chooses another name as King, as we all know what happens when a King Charles is on the throne.

Alber Ratman
1st Dec 2010, 21:41
Mary was Queen and William of Orange was King because we had kicked out Marys father (James II) and the joint monarcy solved the problem of sucession as far as parliment were concerned (had to give William something to do the dirty work!). Cannot see Charlie having any good reason not to call himself "The third", because the "Second" snuffed it due to old age/illness, not because he suffered the same fate as his old man..:E

teeteringhead
2nd Dec 2010, 18:10
Let's hope HRH Prince Charles chooses another name as King, as we all know what happens when a King Charles is on the throne.

...rumour has it the PoW favours George VII out of respect for Grandpa. It is one of his names, the full lot being Charles Phillip Arthur George, as his first wife almost managed to say in 1981. ;)

Old-Duffer
2nd Dec 2010, 19:36
............... with 'George', Teeteringhead. A fine name if I might say so!

I once knew an auto-pilot by that name, who was more accurate than most pilots when he was switched on.

O-D

GreenKnight121
3rd Dec 2010, 04:12
King Phillip I? (ignoring that Spanish bloke)

King Arthur II?

Blacksheep
3rd Dec 2010, 07:56
I think the longer time passes, the 'Diana Factor' lessens.Except that Prince William has chosen to place it firmly in view everytime his wife waves her hand and he and his brother have both adopted the surname "Wales" instead of using the family name of Windsor. (His father's name is Charles Phillip Arthur George Windsor. Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall etc.... are his titles, not his name.)

teeteringhead
3rd Dec 2010, 09:19
I once knew an auto-pilot by that name, who was more accurate than most pilots when he was switched on. .... but real pilots can still fly reasonably accurately when "switched off"!:ok:

Flugplatz
3rd Dec 2010, 20:15
Slight change in subject: having seen the young lad on the box in recent days, I never realised that he was a Specky Get! virtually IFR permanently it is a wonder he can see the panel; judging by the pair of 'ice-cubes' strapped to his visog. How'd that happen? thought he they had to have eagle-eye vision or summat??:confused:

500N
3rd Dec 2010, 20:22
Blacksheep

Re "he and his brother have both adopted the surname "Wales" instead of using the family name of Windsor."

How does that work ?

Not much has been said about that from what I have read.

alisoncc
10th Mar 2011, 04:26
Apparently HRH Bill is heading down to Oz for a few days R&R,

Premier Anna Bligh told reporters on Thursday the continued flooding could affect Prince William's itinerary.
He is due to visit Australia from March 19 to 21 with plans to tour areas affected by cyclones and floods in Queensland.
"Clearly he will only be going to places where it is safe to do so," Ms Bligh said.
"I doubt he would want to go anywhere where his presence would interfere with any emergency response or recovery work.

Reckon if he were to volunteer to do some chopper flying whilst up in FNQ rather than just swanning around, then his visit would really do a huge amount for the monarchy.

Full story Heavy rain could affect William's visit | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/heavy-rain-could-affect-williams-visit/story-fn3dxiwe-1226019175317)

500N
10th Mar 2011, 04:50
alisoncc

A very negative tone in your post. All the press I have seen - particularly from the people who have copped it are looking forward to him coming and seeing them.
His last visit after the fires went down well, I expect this one will also.

Whenurhappy
10th Mar 2011, 05:40
And during the same trip, HRH Flt Lt Prince William of Wales KG FRS MA RAF is off to New Zealand to attend the Earthquake memorial service in Christchurch and also visit the site of the Pike River Mine Disaster (remember that?).

It may sound trite, but this visit will lift many peoples' spirits in the Loyal Colonies. I feel for him and his father and the Queen - though all were born into a life of absolute privalege, so much of their time is spent giving comfort to people around the Commonwealth who are at their lowest. During the Queen's first visit to New Zealand in 1953 there was a massive railway disaster on Christams Eve - my parents only ever spoke of it in choked words:

Tangiwai disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangiwai_disaster)

45-25-25
10th Mar 2011, 06:21
alisoncc. You are a misery. I thought those in Oz were supposed to be positive and upbeat!:=

alisoncc
10th Mar 2011, 07:41
Nothing negative about it at all. What I wrote was in the context of Anne Bligh's comment "I doubt he would want to go anywhere where his presence would interfere with any emergency response or recovery work". When I thought given his work flying air/sea rescue helicopters that is exactly where he would want to be.

A couple of trips flying as a No 2, dropping supplies to marooned rural families would be absolutely fantastic from a media exposure viewpoint. What made his Mum someone of such immense stature was the way she got stuck into things. Like wearing all the kit in theatre in her anti-personnel mine campaign. HRH in full flying gear climbing out of a chopper having just flown some sick kiddie from the outback cut off by floods to a Cairns hospital - bloody magic.

Whenurhappy
10th Mar 2011, 08:25
Alisoncc -

Certainly there is a confluence of his 2 professional roles and the misery that is hitting Australaisia at the moment. Although fairly junior as a SAR pilot, he can speak with confidence and knowledge of rescuing people in sticky situations (certainly better qualified than any politician I can think of). Certainly his currency valuation would continue to rise if he was able to 'take part' in a mission. But this could also be a bit of a strat comms 'own goal' if it was seen by the meedja as a bit of a publicity stunt, quite apart from the sheer practicalities of making it happen.

500N
10th Mar 2011, 09:05
All well and good, but as has been pointed out, could well be looked at as a publicity stunt.

What about the legalities of it ?

Re "Like wearing all the kit in theatre in her anti-personnel mine campaign."

I give much more credit to his HM the Queen and her mum who got stuck into it during the war and stayed in London than some photo op by Princess Diana. Sorry, I do not believe she was ever in danger of a mine going off.

alisoncc
10th Mar 2011, 09:37
I think the natives, and that includes me, have moved on from the days of a white-gloved hand waving from the back of a Rolls being chaffeured along the Bruce Highway between Cardwell and Tully. And yes I do know where they are having lived in Cairns for many years and regularly driven from Manunda, Cairns to Gladstone on business.

If there is one video clip that sticks in my mind from the Brisbane floods, it was that of Kevin Rudd carrying kit for a member of his electorate in Norman Park Bris, when they were being evacuated. And whether Diana kitted out in her anti-personnel mine campaign was for a photo-shoot or not is irrelevant. That's the photo that sticks and she is remembered for, amongst others.

William, dressed in best bib and tucker, mixing it with some of the cane farmers in FNQ in scruffy shorts and singlets would only serve to distance himself from "normal" people. Whereas in flying kit climbing out of a chopper having just flown a mission would do the exact opposite.

Just about every event undertaken by the pollies, royalty and "celebrities" is aimed at the meedja anyway, so what's the harm in making it more relevant to the need at hand.

Neptunus Rex
10th Mar 2011, 12:12
...quite apart from the sheer practicalities of making it happen.I would think that an ADF helo with an experienced QHI and crew should do. His minder and the press can fly in another cab.

Jimmy Macintosh
10th Mar 2011, 14:19
I don't think he could do that. If he was seen to muck in then for any other natural disaster he'd have to appear and help, otherwise it's thumbing his nose at the ones he can't do.

If, on the other hand, he had pledged support for a charity that was about helping recovery of the Earthquake, then he could appear in full flight gear offering genuine help. At the moment it is a state sponsored visit, not a 'Wills' sponsored visit.

Tankertrashnav
10th Mar 2011, 16:14
Re the posts on RAF full dress in the early pages of this thread, I had a letter on the subject in yesterday's Times. If anyone takes it have a look if you haven't already lined the cat tray with it!

Wonder if Will reads it?

alisoncc
10th Mar 2011, 22:55
Neptunus Rex wrote:
I would think that an ADF helo with an experienced QHI and crew should do. His minder and the press can fly in another cab.

Emergency Management Queensland (EMQ) area director Daryl Camp said Tully Heads and Hull Heads were isolated with water 80cm deep across the road in some parts.

"Another 20 homes in Cardwell have been flooded, so we're up to about 30," he said this morning.

"If we keep getting this rain, I'm sure there will be more in the region." Mission Beach, Bingle Bay and Cardwell were isolated overnight but police advised that roads re-opened this morning.

Police considered evacuating Tully Heads yesterday but a decision was made to drop 1000 sandbags instead so locals could protect their homes.

An EMQ helicopter is being used to drop medical supplies to residents in rural properties in Ellerbeck and in the Aboriginal community of Jumbun.

Mr Camp said Locals in cut-off areas in the Cassowary Coast Council were calling for food and fuel.

HRH is a chellywopter jockey. Reckon he could make a real difference, even for just a few days. He's probably not a PPruner so won't read this, pity.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th Mar 2011, 23:11
I can tell you that his visit this summer to Canada is being very much looked forward to by the locals (probably why they picked it!). Wouldn't be surprised if my home province's name gets changed to Prince William Island. Rumour is they'll be hitting the beach as well; it's going to be a lot more low-key than previous trips. An SAR job cuts a lot of ice here - and we currently have a lot of ice to cut. Pity we can't average out with the aussies.

Aussie_Aviator
12th Mar 2011, 11:52
HRH in full flying gear climbing out of a chopper having just flown some sick kiddie from the outback cut off by floods to a Cairns hospital - bloody magic.

Sure, it would be "magic", bit it isn't going to happen ! And, it's clear most thinking people understand the reasons why.

Whether you love or loathe the Monarchy; one cannot escape from the fact that both William and Harry are contributing to their Nation ... either in their respective categories as committed members of the U.K. Defence Forces, or in their Official capacity. I guess, just as Prince Andrew did before them.

Typically in Australia, the 'tall poppy' syndrome always seems to raise its ugly head during civic visits such as this. HRH Prince William of Wales will be a welcome arrival for many. Those who oppose his visit, can simply stay away and do what ever it is they have to do !? ... which is usually to whinge and bleat ! :ugh:
If his visit provides comfort and support to members of a devastated community, then his function has been a success.

I was involved directly in certain aspects of the Princess' previous visit. From this, I can evidence that he (and his entourage) were well received and only glowing comments emanated from those he touched ! Even crews tasked with his transport requirements were left feeling moved and inspired by this young man. He has a unique ability of making people feel at ease and yet, motivated by his presence.

Attempts made by Gillard, K.Rudd and their circus of cronies during the floods crisis - left no doubt how insincere and incompetent these useless parasites of the highest public office really are.

I'll support HRH and this proposed visit, long before I'd even cast a passing glance at Rudd, Gillard or Brown !

Tankertrashnav
29th Apr 2011, 09:53
Well what a crock! Wouldn't you have just known it - he's getting married as a colonel in the flipping guards! All the great and the good of the royal family are there too, ponced up as admirals and colonels etc.

Never mind, I see the RAF wasn't forgotten - they had some one and two stars on duty in Westminster Abbey - as ushers! Just to put the junior service in its place I assume.

Melchett01
29th Apr 2011, 10:08
Never mind, I see the RAF wasn't forgotten - they had some one and two stars on duty in Westminster Abbey - as ushers! Just to put the junior service in its place I assume.

I did notice the AVM without any operational gongs and only the QJM along side his Order of the British Empire (?). Still can't understand how an indiviual can manage to miss out on operational service given how many scraps we've been involved in. Doesn't look good when the best man who's half your age has more operational gongs than you!

BEagle
29th Apr 2011, 10:20
All the great and the good of the royal family are there too, ponced up as admirals and colonels etc.

'Ponced up'? To the Tower with you!!

beardy
29th Apr 2011, 13:10
Melchett01

David Allan Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Allan_Walker)

He is Master of the Household, GD Branch and a very nice chap too.

Yozzer
29th Apr 2011, 14:48
Grabbers, you are a naughty boy :E

I bet there is a good party today at The Polo House, a bar in the fashionable Golden Mile of Marbella, Spain going on today. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
29th Apr 2011, 16:04
BBC NEWS | UK | Hewitt denies Prince Harry link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2273498.stm)

Tallsar
29th Apr 2011, 18:04
AVM David Walker may well be a nice chap...but let us be accurate....he is a "new" GD Branch officer..as all crab officers are above the rank of wg cdr these days. He is not and never has been aircrew and as such would not have been a GD aircrew officer of the old style. Nice sinecure he has
though....wonder where he parks his car when at work and does he pay the daily congestion charge?;)

Tankertrashnav
29th Apr 2011, 20:04
Pontius Navigator - well done that man for posting that link! Anyone who's seen a pic of Earl Spencer as a young man will see the strong family resemblance to Harry.

About time that tired old chestnut about James Hewitt was put to rest:*

phil9560
30th Apr 2011, 02:43
Prince Charles must be very proud. As too must be Harry's Dad.

What an unpleasant and distasteful remark regardless of who's family you are commenting upon.

Grabbers
30th Apr 2011, 05:55
*yawns* OK, post removed. There are enough w*lly-waving, outraged of Tunbridge Wells spats on here. Not my bag, nor my intention.
:rolleyes:

phil9560
30th Apr 2011, 17:47
To be honest G i'm normally not so humourless.But i'd spent all day riding a wave of patriotism :)

tarantonight
1st May 2011, 19:32
I have not had time to go through this thread fully, but.......................

I have heard it said that the fact HRH is 'who he is' had a say in him being where is now professionally. That cannot be right be surely. He must be a highly competent pilot - like all military aircrew - to be earning his crust.

Please fill me with confidence should I fancy a trip up the Welsh montains in a vest top, Union Jack shorts, flip flops and a six pack. Beer, not my rippling stomach muscles.

If you are reading this Wills, I feel I can call you that - give me a sign.

TN:cool:

Sven Sixtoo
1st May 2011, 20:49
I've never flown with him, but am told by more than one who has that he is an entirely competent pilot who is where he is because he can do the job. As you would expect. I rather doubt that anyone from CDS down has the slightest interest in letting the second in line to the Throne loose in a difficult and exacting job if he were less than entirely competent.

Also I understand from past press comments that his first desire was to serve in a combat unit. He (almost uniquely in our increasingly egalitarian society) does not and never will have the freedom that he will one day be the champion of. I do not believe that the privilege will ever make up for that. He's taken the biggest skill challenge HM Forces will allow. Let him prove himself - to himself if no-one else.

Sven

Still looking for somebody who needs a SAR captain

Grabbers
1st May 2011, 21:04
Phil,

You are entirely correct. An unnecessary and frankly embarrassing comment I made. I apologise unreservedly for the offence I caused. :oh:

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd May 2011, 00:53
I rather doubt that anyone from CDS down has the slightest interest in letting the second in line to the Throne loose in a difficult and exacting job if he were less than entirely competent.

Downwind in a 146................:E

tilleydog1
2nd May 2011, 08:10
The Sun is reporting that he is off to the Falklands in September for a four month tour.

Union Jack
2nd May 2011, 08:35
He's taken the biggest skill challenge HM Forces will allow

Crikey! I didn't realise that he had qualified as a nuclear submarine engineer officer as well ......:E

Jack

high spirits
2nd May 2011, 08:49
Enjoy the Tiger corridor porn stash and take a new liver....no naked winchman antics or dropping a fire buckets worth of seawater on the Q-shed!

trex450
2nd May 2011, 13:04
The Sun is actually reporting that he is going for a 10 week tour! I thought the norm was four months down there?

Tanewha
2nd May 2011, 14:23
SAR-boys and girls generally do about 7 weeks down there. :ok: