PDA

View Full Version : TSA and the 'pat-down'; passengers rebelling

Bus429
16th Nov 2010, 07:11
Seems airport security staff around the world are of the same ilk.
Read this. (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/opinion/becky-akers/5202-object-to-sexual-assault-boycott-the-airlines)

radeng
16th Nov 2010, 11:11
Now if the PAX complains formally to the police afterwards about sexual assault, what then?

Will the US Justice system say that PAX can be sexually assaulted at the whim of the TSA?

Eboy
16th Nov 2010, 22:43
I heard on the radio that some people are able to "tip" TSA staff and get a less-aggressive pat-down. They fold a $10 bill so the 10 is showing, and hold it in front saying how much you appreciate all they are doing to increase air security. If they take it out of your hand, you should get better treatment. If they don't, then you won't.

I don't suggest trying this as I think there would be legal issues, but it is an interesting idea.

kaikohe76
17th Nov 2010, 06:12
Could this latest US idiotic tactic be tested in a US court?
Yes we do need pax security, but applied professionally & with respect, consideration & tact, something which is totally lacking within the USA.It will serve them right when all pax who have any option to avoid travelling to or through the US, exercise it & just go somehwere else.

radeng
17th Nov 2010, 07:35
3 or 4 years ago (maybe more), Colin Powell said in evidence to a Senate committee that the US had lost something around $35 billion because of people avoiding the country due to the hassle of the security measures.

The financial damage that the terrorists have inflicted has been enormous: I wonder if they planned that?

GANNET FAN
17th Nov 2010, 07:52
" heard on the radio that some people are able to "tip" TSA staff and get a less-aggressive pat-down. They fold a $10 bill so the 10 is showing, and hold it in front saying how much you appreciate all they are doing to increase air security. If they take it out of your hand, you should get better treatment. If they don't, then you won't."

EBOY, careful some "feeler" might think that the $10 is for a slightly more robust touch up rather than the reverse!!

Eboy
17th Nov 2010, 08:36
I do not suggest doing this. It's not my idea. As another poster suggested above, it could be misinterpreted as a request for more groping than usual. I heard it on a local DC radio station call-in show a couple of days ago. You know how those things are. I didn't hear the whole bit. Maybe it was a joke.

A2QFI
17th Nov 2010, 09:16
It was rumoured years ago that a certain Middle East airport allowed ladies of a certain sexual orientation to do the pat downs on female passengers at airport security. They worked for nothing and got their fun. My heterosexual wife came out of the security area very ashen faced!

Eboy
17th Nov 2010, 13:16
From the Taiwanese animators ...

YouTube - TSA's enhanced security spurs US 'airport rage' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_461991&v=TBL3ux1o0tM&feature=iv)

Skipness One Echo
17th Nov 2010, 14:49
I had a certain gentlemen run his hands inside the top of my trousers "searching for concealed weapons" no doubt. I think the dirty old b****** found what he was looking for as he showed no reaction as my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

I hard my self say "Steady on..." as the "don't get arrested" filter prevented my thoughts being uttered verbatum. God I hate flying....

Jarvy
17th Nov 2010, 15:08
Can't see what the fuss is myself, went out through Boston, full body scan very quick and easy. Much quicker than T5 and much less intrusive than a pat down.

radeng
17th Nov 2010, 17:40
Baggersup

If there are so many tourists, why the need for a $15 charge for an ESTA 'to promote tourism'?

Colin was talking about the loss because of fewer students studying in the US, fewer transit PAX who spend a night in the US and the like, as well as tourists.

ExXB
17th Nov 2010, 19:37
Not sure about ESTA $15, but thought it was just a fee to process an additional security check for visitors prior to their boarding under the visa waiver program.

ESTA simply replaces the green paper visa waiver form (although for a while you had to have both the paper form and the ESTA). The paper form was processed by the immigration officer, but was not charged for (although there are charges for customs and 'agriculture'. It isn't a security check either, but an immigration check. You know, keep out the commies and those possessing moral turpitude. (I kid you not)

If it was marketed outside the U.S. as an "easier" way to visit, then guess that comes under tourist promotion. Not easier, by any means - it does mean the traveller must have access to the internet. There are still some (like my in-laws) who are not comfortable with the web.

radeng
18th Nov 2010, 09:24
Baggersup

I don't think the pound right now is good against the dollar! Although over the last 30 years, I've known it vary from $1.10 to the pound to $2.23.

harryzimm
18th Nov 2010, 10:07
While on the subject of unreasonable TSA practices…

I resent the fact that the feeler-uppers and shoe handlers wear rubber gloves.

It might keep their hands clean but I sure don’t like the idea of them touching me up with gloves that have been used hundreds of times on dirty shoes, not to mention crotches. :(

Safety should be a two way street.

megapete
18th Nov 2010, 15:59
It seems to be a bit unfair highlighting the TSA and the US over this. The pat down search only applies if you refuse a body image scan -in the UK you have apparently have no right to refuse the scan - and may still be physically searched afterwards.

From the Manchester Airport Web site

Following trials of “imaging technology” (also known as security scanners) in Terminal 2, Manchester Airport has now extended this enhanced security measure to Terminal 1 & Terminal 3.
Please note: From the 1st February 2010, additional Government legislation came into operation at this airport, which states that any passenger who refuses to use the scanner will be denied travel.

Link Here

Manchester Airport : Security Scanners Public Information (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/X-Ray-Scanners-Public-Information)

BillS
18th Nov 2010, 21:59
There is a very easy way to avoid being scanned - request special assistance.

hotmetal
19th Nov 2010, 06:16
From the 1st February 2010, additional Government legislation came into operation at this airport, which states that any passenger who refuses to use the scanner will be denied travel.

Government legislation? I think it is just Manchester airport rules have changed. I don't think there is any legislation about it [but would love a legal reference]. Why would government write legislation just applying to Manchester. I think it is typical of the misinformation spread by the 'security' industry.

rennaps
19th Nov 2010, 10:26
Saw this in the news:

An ExpressJet pilot refused to submit himself to a TSA full body scan, or pat down, while on his way to work. His personal decision complicated his relationship with his employer, brought a direct challenge to the authority of the TSA and raised Fourth Amendment issues that he hopes to address in a court of law.

:ok:

radeng
20th Nov 2010, 13:02
The rebellion is now suggesting everyone refuses the scan. I would have thought the real chaos would be to have a large number of pax refusing the scan, having the pat down, and then making an immediate formal complaint to the police about sexual assault. Imagine the situation at somewhere like ORD with 200 or 300 or more people complaining to the Chicago PD......

In the US system, would they have to investigate every complaint? With multiple complaints against a screener, would they be suspended?

wings folded
20th Nov 2010, 14:36
There is a very easy way to avoid being scanned - request special assistance.

Not so.

I am disabled but nonetheless expected to hoik my shoes off without the benefit of a chair, or to stand with my arms spread like the Angel of the North while some oik fiddles around my ankles, shouting at me to keep my arms at 90 degreees to my torso.

They are not all like that.

I have already posted my thanks to security personnel who used common sense. It was months ago.

There are some. But not enough.

Hartington
20th Nov 2010, 14:58
I'm surprised nobody seems to have mention Ron Paul introduces legislation that would open TSA agents up to being prosecuted - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20101118/pl_dailycaller/fewcongressmenhavesofarsignedontoronpaulsrevoltagainstairpor tsecuritymeasures_1) Ron Paul .com (http://www.ronpaul.com/)

radeng
20th Nov 2010, 19:47
I suspect the problem is that once you allow the TSA employees to sexually assault travellers, where is the line drawn? Should there be signs before entering the security area saying ' The US Government has determined that everyone entering this area may be sexually assaulted by a TSA staff member'?

Where does 'acceptable' sexual assault start and stop? Would a body cavity search of a ten year old girl be 'acceptable' or paedophilia? Under these exemptions from prosecution, would rape be accepted? Or a body cavity search that ruptured a hymen? How much care would be taken over people with a latex allergy who could die quite quickly from an allergic attack ( I know the UK borders people have instructions about cavity searches on latex allergic people and those with hemarrhoids)

The TSA seem to be looking to be on a PR disaster unless they are very careful and on the ball.

Wait for big adverts in foreign newspapers 'Don't send your kids to visit the USA - they will be irradiated, and may also be sexually assaulted quite legally by perverts working for the US government.'

Janet Napolitano needs to start looking at this very seriously if the TSA and US reputation isn't to be seriously hit internationally. Of course, the US govt may not care.......although the Supreme Court may.

You can see this causing more problems than it may solve..........