PDA

View Full Version : Military Officials Question Cameron about his Decision to Scrap Harriers and Nimrods

Air ops
15th Nov 2010, 20:49
Hi there,
Just wondering what your views were on the decision to scrap Harrier GR9's

Personally i think that its ridiculous.
Having no jet capability at sea, what a joke?

Also on top of this what about the NIMROD MRA4?

Spy plane which recently had a new refit.

Total waste of money to refit if it it is to go out of service with immediate effect.

So, fell free to discuss and i will be interested in everyones views

Thanks
Sam

Old-Duffer
16th Nov 2010, 05:57
Sam,

There are a great many people concerned about the outcome of the Defence Review. Not just 'armchair warriors' but those who will carry the consequences if it's all wrong. The concern is not just "how is 'my' service doing" but does this make for a joined up security, foreign and defence policy. The answer is probably - nay certainly - a resounding: NO.

This is largely a cost cutting exercise but the government has been faced with a dreadful legacy of billions of pounds of 'unfunded' commitments, tied into contracts they were warned not to sign. In any society other than ours, the 'culprits' would be brought to book.

The loss of Harrier and Nimrod, together with the suggestion that Sentinel will be binned when we leave Afghanistan is, in my judgement, an error.

I would hope that now the implications of the Review are out and people can more logically see the whole package, there might be room for some 'rebalancing'.

In total budget terms, for example, running on Harrier/Ark Royal might look a lot of money but is a fraction of the waste of giving more money to the EU so that they can build new HQs and set up a foreign service etc; not to mention spending on projects which the auditors won't sign-off. That is not anti-EU - which is another debate entirely - it's ensuring our national interests are protected first. You will note that we might have to bail the Irish out to the tune of £7 Billion as their finances are even more badly wrecked than our own!!

Early morning rant over.

Old Duffer

taxydual
16th Nov 2010, 06:35
Sam

Just read the existing topics/threads/posts on PPRuNe.

I think you'll get an idea as to views without 'fishing' for reactions.

Postman Plod
16th Nov 2010, 09:00
I don't think Sam is fishing for anything here - simply asking for opinions based on his understanding of the defence review, and on his knowledge of the aircraft in question.

Sam, its worth having a look at the Nimrod and Harrier threads on here - there are quite a few of them, and they are quite long, but worth a read if you want a wider understanding of the aircraft and their roles - and how people REALLY feel about them!.

If you are 15, it might be worth popping over to Air Cadet Central • Index page (http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums) where there are a couple of threads (or threads for the making perhaps!). I know quite a few people don't like that forum, but it might be worth a look and you can make your own mind up about it - the natives are mostly friendly...!