PDA

View Full Version : Piper forced landing Central coast?

SpyderPig
15th Nov 2010, 05:58
Just caught the end of this story on CH10 News. Seems the trend of all things aviation is continuing in the media.

Seems a S/E Piper made a forced landing in a mud filled field somewhere on the central coast NSW(?) From the footage I caught it looked bogged half way up the wheel spats. Report was the forced landing was made due to bad weather and "very poor visibility". Looking out the window, the weather around the Hunter is very bleak and I wouldn't of liked to be up there VFR. Anyway looked like a fair effort to keep it off its roof after touch down. Also showed 2 pilots walking away.

Anyone else see/hear this? Sorry for the sketchy details:(

SpyderPig
15th Nov 2010, 06:06
Story just lead NBN news.

19yo BASAIR student in a Warrior on solo nav. Tried to return to Bankstown but weather prevented, tried to divert to Warnervale but weather closed that out too, ended up landing in Warrnambool wet lands. Looks like it will take some recovering as well:ok:

Story was then followed by the QF turn back

b_sta
15th Nov 2010, 06:28
Shocker of a day to be flying VFR, especially as a student. The instructor who signed him off ought to have something to answer for. :ugh:

Ultralights
15th Nov 2010, 06:51
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/11/15/1225953/976701-emergency-landing.jpg

Teenage pilot makes emergency landing | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/teenage-pilot-makes-emergency-landing/story-e6freuy9-1225953904677)

polair911
15th Nov 2010, 07:28
Who ever signed the student off, mate.....you've done a great job in teaching him/her how to do Prec. Search & Land!!!

Where's that page about common sense in the ops manual?? I couldn't find it when i was going thru it:hmm:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Nov 2010, 07:32
Beautiful job in doing 'that' 'THERE'...

Look mum, it didn't 'flip'.....Must be fairly 'solid' under the surface water/mud.

Well done that man.:ok::ok:

And, if as all say, the wx was 'that crappy', then the co. deserves the expense / time / effort of getting it out....IMHO...:ugh:

Good place to practice those 'short fielders':eek:...

Brian Abraham
15th Nov 2010, 07:45
Look mum, it didn't 'flip'.....Must be fairly 'solid' under the surface water/mud.

Well done that man.Fully concur, well done young man. Remember me Mum having to hitch hike to her destination after a ride in an Arrow with Chris Sperou ended with a precautionary landing in a wheat paddock due weather. No damage, and was many, many, many decades ago.

RatsoreA
15th Nov 2010, 09:06
Sure, there is probably some critsism to be levelled somewhere (why out on such a bleak day/who sent him out) but, and I have asked this question long ago on these forums, it would take a ton of courage to slot it down somewhere like that. A lot of pilots in the past, and will in the future will end up as smears on a hill somewhere by pressing on VFR into bad Wx.

Back when I was just a little pilot and thought I knew better it nearly happened to me, and it was a lesson well learnt. I pressed on when I shouldn't have and could have easily ended up a statistic. I was lucky, but Australia is littered with wrecks of those that were not so fortunate...

Takes a lot of courage to say that you made a mistake, and rather than make it worse (write of a plane/kill yourself doing it) to suck it up and stick it down the best place you can. Whomever you are, own your mistake and don't let this valuable lesson be lost on you.

GAFA
15th Nov 2010, 10:35
Didn't the instructor check the wx today, Sydney had tempo all day and when I landed today the cloud was down to 400 feet and vis 5000m.

This pilot was lucky, for those of us who are older enough to remember the Trindad crash in the Blue Mountains that claimed the lifes of the 2 pilots who tired to go VFR on an IFR day, the school who hired them the aircraft should never have let them go and yhem same could have occured to day.

SpyderPig
15th Nov 2010, 10:53
I agree, well done that man to keep it up right:ok:

I cant imagine an instructor letting a VFR student up on a day like today. Police said on the news he was up "getting his hours up", hell of a day for it. As a student I can just see my instructor asking me before going on a solo nav are you going to go in weather like this? Answer no, pat on the back, good decision. Answer yes, swift right palm around back on head, back in the theory room rookie. :ugh: Anyway, I bet there's some solid lessons learned, he was able to walk away much wiser, and Ive got another reason to think twice about "fueling up and blasting off" into bad WX.:ok:

Sunfish
15th Nov 2010, 17:54
Well done to the student pilot!

fencehopper
15th Nov 2010, 20:00
I was driving down the F3 about that time. lot of heavy showers that developed into drizzilling rain. Even the viz on the ground was poor from wyong to wahroonga, drove most of the way at 90klmh.

Skynews
15th Nov 2010, 22:17
We may be jumping the gun with the criticisms of the school, or at least the instructor. I haven't read any information indicating he was on a solo ppl nav, he may well have a ppl, been away for a day of two hour building for his cpl, and decided independently to return in crap weather, in which case a good result for a precautionary landing, poor judgement shown regarding weather and a kick up his 19 yr old are is due.

Dreamflyer1000
15th Nov 2010, 22:22
sooo where does warrnambool play into this?? curious, because im from that area!

Skynews
15th Nov 2010, 22:27
Spelling mistake, read the article, it was wamberal ( spelling)

SpyderPig
15th Nov 2010, 22:51
Thats my fault, I was getting it from the TV.:ugh:

Tankengine
15th Nov 2010, 23:16
Did the tide come in?:}

Pinky the pilot
15th Nov 2010, 23:27
When I first started my training back in 1982 my now late Father told me of his wings training in Canada in mid 1942.

On days of crappy weather his Instructor would walk into the readiness room and announce
''Gentlemen, today the weather is so bad the birds are walking.......and so are you!'':=

Even so, he recounted several losses in his course due to weather.

The Basair student did well.:ok: He managed to walk away from something that could have had a far more tragic outcome.:hmm:

Dreamflyer1000
15th Nov 2010, 23:27
Good job to the guy for getting it down anyway. Bet he wont want to fly in anything other than CAVOK for quite some time!!

40Deg STH
16th Nov 2010, 00:41
Well done to the pilot for his recovery. Now the instructor who signed him out and the flying school need a long hard look at there operation.
Maybe shut all flying schools down and start again. And sack all CASA FOI's and start again. I know I'm dreaming.
Increase experience levels for instructors and pay levels and get career instructors and retired pilots to come back and put there experience back into the industry.

Now ducking for cover lol

ReverseFlight
16th Nov 2010, 00:51
Well done to the pilot for his recovery.

Agreed. I think he had more brains than his instructor. :}

Skynews
16th Nov 2010, 01:43
I don't get it. IF and just to make it really clear IF this guy private hired the aircraft, went away for a couple of days what do you expect the instructor or school to do?
If you have any experience at all you would know just because Bankstown was crap and even the forescaste wasn't good, does not mean the actual weather is not suitable, especially 100+ miles away. Once you hire an aircraft you rely on the hirer to make appropriate decisions.

Now if he was signed out to do a solo nav in crap weather then yes, crucify the school, the instructor the lot, but I certainly haven't seen that info anywhere here or in the media.

sprocket check
16th Nov 2010, 02:55
Could he not have called up Sydney Radar and get vectored out of trouble?

Dick Smyth
16th Nov 2010, 03:26
Poor decision to let a student out in that weather!
Poor decision to put the plane down where he did, surely he could have descended as low as possible over water to remain clear of cloud and headed north for YPEC. anywho he is alive to fly another day

Ted D Bear
16th Nov 2010, 05:08
Poor decision to put the plane down where he did

Really? :rolleyes:

We don't know what the options were for him at the time, and putting it down where he did may well have been the best one. VFR into IMC is a big killer and this guy did well not to become another statistic.

YPJT
16th Nov 2010, 05:18
Poor decision to put the plane down where he did
Lets see, a student pilot with limited experience, few options and perhaps deteriorating conditions put the plane down in what was perhaps the best available visible patch and all an armchair expert like you can come up with is "poor decision" :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Ivasrus
16th Nov 2010, 05:27

He did call for help - but SY Radar would have only been able to say that the weather is worse closer to SY/BK and advise doing a 180. Obviously not IFR rated. Aside from scooting along at 400FT to WLM it looks like a good call.

Hope it's a 3WD

Skynews
16th Nov 2010, 05:29
Where does it say he's a student pilot?
What on earth could Sydney radar do about the weather?
Aeropelican has been closed for several years, I wonder if he even knew existed!

VH-XXX
16th Nov 2010, 05:38

That doesn't often work.

I heard Melbourne radar trying to do that in similar conditions for a 172 in low cloud near Kilmore and each suggestion was carefully followed with "but of course that's just a suggestion, you do what you think is safe."

flyscairbus
16th Nov 2010, 05:41
YPEC reopened last time I checked

SpyderPig
16th Nov 2010, 05:47
Latest NBN News : NBN (http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/category/latest_news/)

Not sure how to post the video directly. Says in here he is a student :ok:

Skynews
16th Nov 2010, 05:47
Ypec open.
Really I wasn't aware. What goes on up there now?

He may well be a student, but relying on accurate info from the news? Not me.

Ultralights
16th Nov 2010, 06:01
if it is open, then there is definitely nothing going on there, totally deserted every time i have been over it these last few months.

Dick Smyth
16th Nov 2010, 07:35
who cares if PEC is open if it is an emergency? its still a runway.

Skynews
16th Nov 2010, 07:45
I can't read any one who cares whther it is open or not re an emergency, can you.

SpyderPig
16th Nov 2010, 08:33
He may well be a student, but relying on accurate info from the news? Not me.

I dont think anyone is, but thats all we have at the moment.

I haven't seen anything flying in or out around YPEC for a long while and its not listed in the current ERSA so its very possible he didnt know about it or over looked it while looking for fields on the maps. In bad weather it can be a tricky approach(so I'm told from ex-pelican pilots) across the lake or beach with a bit of wind and no lighting would also make it harder in bad vis.
I know the weather around here was pretty bad yesterday, while his field selection might not have been the best, he's alive and the plane is in one piece, I say pretty good effort. As stated, easy to make the best decision from where Im sitting atm. I'm sure the facts/rumors will come out around YBSK very soon anyway:E

bentleg
16th Nov 2010, 09:16
Last I heard YPEC was owned by Mirvac who are trying to do a deal that will get them Warnervale (for redevelopment) in exchange.

As far as the forced landing goes, we don't have facts, but it sounds like he left his decision to land somewhere too late. He was lucky.

flyscairbus
17th Nov 2010, 05:51
Sorry all my bad :uhoh:, however, according to the latest ERSA (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/pending/ersa/FAC_YPEC_18-Nov-2010.pdf), Bentleg is correct in saying the land is owned by Mirvac at present, so I guess you could say it is open somewhat, just still need prior apporval

Orion Delta
17th Nov 2010, 08:31
Good luck getting permission :}

sprocket check
17th Nov 2010, 13:18
Heard today they lifted it out of the lagoon with a chopper, pulled the wings off, put it on a truck and took it back to BK.

Anyone with piccies?

sc

Hasherucf
17th Nov 2010, 14:43
Piper Warrior plane airlifted out of mud flats at Wamberal Lagoon | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/piper-warrior-plane-airlifted-out-of-mud-flats-at-wamberal-lagoon/story-e6freuy9-1225955064204?ref=nf)

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/11/17/1225955/061414-plane-stuck-on-mud-flats.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/11/17/1225955/061421-plane-stuck-on-mud-flats.jpg

Horatio Leafblower
17th Nov 2010, 18:29
An instructor from "one of the big schools at Bankstown" told me on the day it happened:

"One of ours went down on the Central Coast, a student on a solo nav - had to do a PSL due weather".

:oh:

sharpie_29
17th Aug 2011, 07:03
this is an old post i realise, but reading that if you landed with a cloud base of 400' and vis 5000m im certain thats not VFR also mda and da for ysbk and syd unless using ILS are higher???

Wheeler
17th Aug 2011, 08:30
this is an old post i realise, but reading that if you landed with a cloud base of 400' and vis 5000m im certain thats not VFR also mda and da for ysbk and syd unless using ILS are higher???

Nah, its fine... Special VFR:ok:

The ILS at BK is brilliant BTW - no other similar airport in the wold has one like it. The radar is world class too. Well maybe the third world.

Could I get an instructing at that place?

sharpie_29
19th Aug 2011, 01:05
haha wheeler, yeh your right they dnt even have a loc or gs no other ils like it ;)
i was talking about yssy!
have u seen the radar in ysbk twr? its about 3inches under dust!

Chimbu chuckles
3rd Apr 2012, 07:11
Nope, pretty sure the kid did it on purpose:}

Jabawocky
3rd Apr 2012, 07:25
Aircraft for Sale, Plane Sales, Planes for Sale - Aviation Advertiser (http://aviationadvertiser.com.au/classifieds/detail.php?id=2014)

This one? :ooh:

It was given a forced landing. So I guess that is not an accident like rolled into a ball. But it was not like it was forced into a nice flat grass paddock.

I wonder how good the complete overhaul was and any corossion treatment went :ooh:

BPA
3rd Apr 2012, 09:14
And it was only flown on Sunday's.