PDA

View Full Version : flight lesson aircraft

DK08
14th Nov 2010, 08:34
Hello to everyone,

a couple of weeks ago i was supposed to start my first ever flight lesson but it was unfortunately cancelled due to weather. today i came in again and my flight was yet again cancelled :ugh:. since i was at the school i was introduced into the training and what i will do and as i was booking my (third) first lesson i was given a choice of what aircraft i would first learn in.

I was given a choice of the Cessna 152 or the Piper Warrior.
I would love some feedback on what aircraft i should choose and any advice.

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Nov 2010, 08:57
Go the C152!

If you are taught to fly it properly, you will likely end up a better pilot.

Dr :8

dudduddud
14th Nov 2010, 09:08
I would use the Cessna simply because it will be cheaper. Last thing you need is to be dragging two empty seats around the training areas and paying a premium for the privlege.

Some of the pros and cons I've seen or experienced:

Landing: Cessna is harder to land apparantly, which is supposed to make you a better pilot. Also the undercarriage sticks on the Cessna are more shock absorbant which makes taxiing and, of course, the actual touchdown smoother and more comfortable.

Handling:
From what I know, they are both pretty docile planes with the Warrior probably being more so. Cessna 152s have been known to have slightly more bite when it comes to stalling.

High-wing, low-wing:
Obvious pros for the high-wing Cessna is that you get a much better view of whats around you which makes navigation easier. The problem with this is that when you are banking in a turn, the wing blocks your view in the direction you are turning which could lead to a collision of you are not careful to look out before turning. Another con is that the Cessna 152 wing is right at forehead level and if you choose this aircraft, you will bang your head on it at some stage.

Fuel endurance:
One problem you might face with the Cessna 152 is the reduced range if you are trading fuel for payload on a dual flight. This might mean having to refuel unnessicarily during a cross-country flight and paying the extra taxy time (if the planes are fitted with hobbs time-counters). Shouldn't affect the flights to the training area, which is most of them.

Taking friends flying:
Another problem with the 152 is it only has 1 spare seat so you can only take up one person at a time when you go on joy-rides. Of course, this could be countered by doing some familiarisation flights in a bigger plane like a Warrior (or even better... a 172) and taking them in that.

Future flying:
Chances are that when you graduate, you are going to be flying larger Cessnas anyway. Generally speaking the Cessna range is quite similar (albeit getting bigger and more complicated) and I would say the transition from a 152 or 172 to a 206 would be easier than from a Warrior. Having said that though I've never done it so can't comment.

But certainly my biggest concern would be cost and I would be putting my name down for the cheaper option, the Cessna 152. It's still a plane, after all.

Fly-by-Desire
14th Nov 2010, 09:23
Shake it up if you can, both aircraft have some good aspects that can teach you alot and the more exposure you can get the better off you will be in the long run :ok:

Homesick-Angel
14th Nov 2010, 13:19
Get used to turning up at the airport and not flying..Its good to have the instructors number on speed dial and call before you leave home if its
A: very windy and gusty
B: crappy overcast weather.

And you can guarantee the weather to be crap anytime you are booked for a flight test..
Where I live it hadn't rained properly in years..The day I booked my PPL it broke the drought..

Skynews
14th Nov 2010, 23:09
Stick to one aircraft type until at least your GFPT, and I would train in the C152 with out a doubt.

Swapping aircraft midstream will be an expensive waist of time. Absolutely nothing to be gained. You will have plenty of time post GFPT to fly a few different types. Would you learn to drive in a series of different cars?

Anyway more important is to ensure you have the right instructor. Put some thought into that, talk to them all, ideally and normally, (not always) the most senior instructor should have more to offer. Just be careful they dont have other interests that will detract from your training, i.e. multi engine charter will often mean cancelling a students lesson.

Old Akro
15th Nov 2010, 02:26
Do you prefer Commodore or Falcon? Both C150 & PA28 have idiosyncrasies. The Warrior is a more useful aircraft for taking passengers and flies a bit faster. I think I'd vote for the C152 as the better training aircraft, but the real deciding issue might be a) which type the school has more of (which will mean you'll have less trouble with aircraft availability) and which of the aircraft are in nicer condition. It wouldn't hurt you to ask to sit in each. Use the time to gain a bit of familiarity with where all the knobs & buttons are and see if there is one that you just feel more comfortable in. I disagree with the bit about sticking to one aircraft type. My view is that if you want to learn to fly rather than operate an aircraft, then more types allows you to understand the art and science of flying better.

The weather has been unusual. Stick with it.

Jack Ranga
15th Nov 2010, 02:40
If you can fly a C152/150 you can fly most any light aircraft I reckon. I didn't know this when I started but I reckon the C208 is easier to land than the C152.

Go the C152/150 to start (will save some coin as well) then do your PPL in the PA28 or C172/182.

DK08
15th Nov 2010, 04:43
thanks guys, looks like the 152's the way to go :ok:

baron_beeza
15th Nov 2010, 05:20
Yep, not much of a choice unfortunately. The Piper is the better aircraft and you will enjoy flying it later.

For now the Cessna is the way to go.
We have all been there and done it. They are easier to fly but have not got much else going for them.

The Tomahawk is a nice machine in most respects..... see if you can get a chance to fly one in the coming years and see how you think it compares.

Please let us know how the training is progressing.... I am sure you will find it gets more interesting as the months pass.

SgtBundy
15th Nov 2010, 12:09
Some of us don't fit in a 152 :}. I think my instructor said if we both got in it shoulder to shoulder one of us would have to hang out the window.

Actually, I don't really fit that well into a Warrior either. In the words of Homer: "Won't someone build a GA aircraft for the husky gentleman?".