PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan or Nigeria

Captain Gartmort
13th Nov 2010, 19:57
Which is the lesser of the two evils?
Anyone got experience with both?
Not having been to either, i think i would favor Afghanistan.

SloppyJoe
13th Nov 2010, 20:52
Depends a lot on who you are working for. If it is a government or large corporation of a western nation contract of some sort you will probably be looked after well in either location. If it is fending for yourself, finding accommodation, transport etc then I would say Nigeria would be best and stay away from Afghanistan.

rick1128
14th Nov 2010, 03:05
I have spent extended periods of time in both places. It really depends on where you are. There are a couple of places in Nigeria where I was more concerned about my safety than any place I was in Afghanistan. Those places were Lagos and Port Harcourt. In Lagos, my concerns were due to the number or people living that and the poverty. Being a westerner made in a large visible target. Part Harcourt was due the rebel activity.

In Afghanistan, at least among the various pilot groups there, we tried to look out for each other. To a much higher degree than in Nigeria. In both countries I lived on the local economy.

Hell Man
14th Nov 2010, 04:26
Afghanistan, in fact any of the 'stan's' are better than Nigeria - pay tends to be better (certainly on USSD contracts), less malaria too.

vaibronco
14th Nov 2010, 13:15
I spent one year in two jobsites in the bush near Port Harcourt in 1994. The more you live there, the more you get used to many things that in the "western" world are considered unacceptable, dangerous and unusual.
Some examples:
We had only HF radio in the camp, sat phone was not provided, cell phones too.
From time to time I used to travel by car in the bush to reach the closest phone center.
It was normal to get stopped with tree trunks across the track in the middle of the bush by groups of people beating the Oybo (so they call white men) cars with machetes.
The first time was terrifying. Then I realised that at each "checkpoint" I had to give some naira to pass safely.
Never spent more than few hours in the cities.
My colleagues told me that Lagos and Port Harcourt were much more dangerous than the bush.
I got malaria twice, the "good one" (plasmodium falciparum), the cure was worse than the first stage of the disease.
For the very first two weeks I had to stay very close to the toilet, learned what I could eat or drink and what I could not.
I learned also to avoid aphta, fungus and parasites.
Even if you hold a valid driving license, you'd better hire a driver if you travel in the bush. If you are whit and you drive, in the case you kill a kid crossing the road, It is not safe to wait for the locals.
Money can buy almost everything (legal or illegal).
Maybe many things have changed bynow...
Never been in Afghanistan, I worked in much safer places (Saudi Arabia and Syria). In middle east it was useful some times to look like a local and of course much easier than in africa. People always talked to me in arabic first...

Shell Management
14th Nov 2010, 15:04
Pay in warzones has plumetted since the heady days just after Operation IF.

Now a civil helicopter pilot in Afganistan is living in a tent or freight container, being shelled daily, working 10 weeks on - 3 weeks off and on $100k max.

Suddenly equal time in a comfortable resdential area at higher pay without the same level of security risk looks far more attractive.

AQ activity in Saudi also needs to be considered.

pants on fire...
14th Nov 2010, 15:14
Seems like Shell Mis-Management is as well informed on this topic as all the others that he demonstrates his profound knowledge of, here on PPRuNe.

With the potential for corruption at all levels from the President down, I'm surprised that he doesn't have a bigger presence in country!

Shell Management
14th Nov 2010, 15:22
Just a little research to see the effect of conflict on pilot supply and demand.;)

212man
15th Nov 2010, 04:20
Now a civil helicopter pilot in Afganistan is living in a tent or freight container, being shelled daily, working 10 weeks on - 3 weeks off and on $100k max.

Completely wrong on all counts :ugh:

mtoroshanga
15th Nov 2010, 07:13
Nothing wrong with Nigeria,I worked in Port Harcourt for years and was often the only white man around.Get on with the locals and they look after you, By contrast worked in Iran on the Afghani border and never felt comfortable. A far more dangerous place. Money wise its up to you.

hotzenplotz
16th Nov 2010, 09:09
By contrast worked in Iran on the Afghani border and never felt comfortable. A far more dangerous place. How is that? Because of the thread from drug trafficers or did you feel uncomfortable because of the iranians?

Staticdroop
16th Nov 2010, 19:17
Who are the employers in Afghanistan and what sort of machines are used out there? Are they deployed in some of the more stable areas or will they operate in support of mil a/c in the less stable areas?
Lots of questions i know but just interested.:ok:

newfieboy
16th Nov 2010, 23:16
Try Canadian Helicopters Ltd (not CHC), Edmonton, they have 212;s and 61,s in country for USDOD, flying pax and freight to forward operating bases. Were advertising for crews in Canada a while ago.

hueyracer
17th Nov 2010, 06:56
Tried Canadian Helicopters last year.....never got an answer from them.....(maybe because i am not a native Canadian citizen.....)

Forget thinking about the country.....it is never the country that kills you-but the people living there..

Afghanistan still is a "war zone" (I prefer "combat zone", but the outcome is the same)...

Nigeria is not at war (officially), but there are a lot of places you should never go.........(but there are areas in most big western cities i would never go because it is too dangerous)...

So the big question was already posted:
Who are you going to work for?
What kind of missions are you going to fly?

mtoroshanga
17th Nov 2010, 07:46
Ref IranIt sounds unlikely but we were working for 'Voice of America' ie CIA,supporting a tethered baloon beaming propaganda in Afghanistan. This was around 1975 and the Shah was still in charge. Driving anywhere was a nightmare,worse than Port Harcourt and thats saying something! The locals would steal anything and were complely untrustworthy.One of my local engineers was taken one night by Savak(the Shah's secret police) and was never seen again. It just went on and on.

Epiphany
17th Nov 2010, 08:47
Whichever one you choose you end up back home (hopefully) a wiser, and happier person grateful for being a resident of a free. tolerant society. Both places are f***ed.

Captain Gartmort
17th Nov 2010, 21:33
Anyone have any experience with Canadian Helicopters and their operation out there?

Shell Management
18th Nov 2010, 19:22
An advantage in Nigeria is that if you are taken hostage you are less likely to be blown up by your own side when they come to rescue you.

Well done to the Federal Forces:ok:

LONDON (Reuters) - The freeing of 19 foreign and local hostages taken from oil facilities in the Niger Delta region is a turning point for Nigeria's security, a presidential aide said on Thursday pledging more tough government actions.
"Criminal elements who attack oil installations and kidnap individuals for personal reasons will not be tolerated," President Goodluck Jonathan's aide Hassan Tukur told Reuters.
"He (Jonathan) is strong... It (freeing of hostages) is a turning point. Anyone who thinks they can hold the government hostage should rethink," he added.
Nigeria's military rescued 19 hostages including foreigners being held by militants in the Niger Delta oil region in a land, air and sea operation on Wednesday and the release is seen as a boost for Jonathan ahead of elections next April.

Nigeria says hostages rescue is turning point | Top News | Reuters (http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE6AH0BP20101118)

212man
18th Nov 2010, 23:57
SM,
you've made some pretty crass remarks in your time, but this latest one really stoops to a new low. To use the accidental death of a young female aid worker to satisfy your peurile appetite for attention is pretty sick :ugh:

212man
22nd Nov 2010, 13:31
What's up SM - cat got your tongue, or just waiting for the thread to drop out of view? Shame on you. I take it you know what shame is?