PDA

View Full Version : GCAA AME's (Doctors)

BritishGuy
13th Nov 2010, 18:10
I'm looking for a list of GCAA Doctors in Dubai that can conduct a Class 1 medical. Could someone please steer me in the right direction please. An 'understanding' and 'relaxed' (:p) Doctor would be nice (if there is one around). If anyone feels they'd like to recommend one by name, feel free to PM.

Thanks.

Old King Coal
13th Nov 2010, 19:05
BG - if you're still in UK you might try Dr David Tallent at Airport Medical Services (Gatwick) as - last time I checked (in CAROPS) - he was also approved to do GCAA medicals.
+44 1293 623 649 / +44 1293 776 996 / http://gatwick.avmed.org.uk

Alternatively, if you're in Dubai, you might try Dr Akel (he can also renew UK CAA & FAA).
1st floor of Magrudy Centre, Beach Road, Jumeirah 1, Dubai / +971 43 494 880 / +971 43 493 503.

Both are ok AME's. :ok:

shroom
14th Nov 2010, 04:59
If you feel like driving to Abu Dhabi, go to Dr. McCulloch. Great older guy, one of the first physicians in the UAE. Allegedly he will be retiring soon. On the 10th floor above Al Noor Hospital.

Paraffin Budgie
14th Nov 2010, 09:36
I think that Sean Petherbridge at the Infinity Clinic on Wasel Road, near to Park N Shop is approved.

Thridle Op Des
14th Nov 2010, 11:49
I can confirm first hand that Dr. Sean Pethebridge no longer has approvals for any Flight Crew medicals, he was never a JAA AME either, only GCAA and FAA.

777boyo
14th Nov 2010, 13:13
Wholly endorse OKC's recommendation of Dr Roger Akel. I've been seeing him since 1985 for AvMed and GP services. Excellent chap on all fronts, calls a spade a spade and will be scrupulously fair.

Best of luck.

7B

givemewings
15th Nov 2010, 10:53
Hi,

On this subject does anyone have an email address for Dr Akel or the female doctor working out of that clinic? I have called 3 or 4 times to be told by reception they will call back and they haven't so far... been trying to ge tin touch with someone for nearly a month.... :(

Once she called me back and when I said I need to find out how much is the medical and if they have the Ophthalmologist there she fobbed me off by saying they'd call me back and they never did...

Getting desperate as I need to just get this sorted and I don't have any Oz or UK trips this month. I'd do it in Toronto but I don't think I can get a CASA (Oz) medical there...

Cheers

Guy D'ageradar
15th Nov 2010, 16:07
If you feel like driving to Abu Dhabi, go to Dr. McCulloch.

Going by his complete and utter failure to detect my 2 slipped/1 herniated lumbar disc(s) some 12 years ago, I would certainly not recommend him IF you are after a genuine medical. :=

Otherwise, feel free.

On this subject does anyone have an email address for Dr Akel or the female doctor working out of that clinic?

I think my last medical there would fall under the term "blatant profiteering" - any and every possibility to extract supplementary payments from my employers (whether for myself or others) was rigidly followed up, regardless of justification (or the lack of). Recent ammendments to the local regs will NOT help!! :eek:

Last I knew, there were two female doctors there - one French, one Canadian. I don't have any personal experience of the French one but let's just hope that she likes the shape of your testicles ( as we all KNOW how important that is in the world of aviation) if you fall upon (fnar) the Canadian one. :ugh::ugh:

Proceed at your peril :mad:

givemewings
15th Nov 2010, 18:51
Well I've been told I've got some b@lls on occasion but hopefully I won't have any probs with the doc as I'm a woman :E

Might just have to wait until I get back to Oz, at least I know they're definitely doing a CASA medical and probably easier to deal with than the Dubai Run-Around!

Gulfstreamaviator
15th Nov 2010, 19:14
Ophthalmologist is in house, and I think there most days, a nice PI lady.

I can not find the lady doctors E Mail, but general E Mail address= mailto:[email protected] ([email protected])

Tel: +971 4 344 0796 Fax: +971 4 342 2473

good luck,

glf

givemewings
17th Nov 2010, 15:41
Cheers Gulf.

After a day or two of getting a busy signal I got through today. Of course being Eid the doctors aren't in but I managed to persuade the guy to leave Dr Waafa my number and email so she can let me know if she's the person I'm looking for.

If not, I'll have to wait for my next UK/Oz trip. So anyone wanting docs at Dr Akel's clinic, call Saturday or after as that's when they'll be back in.

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Nov 2010, 02:53
my wife also a pilot saw her, for her GCAA initial.

I will be there in a few days, if I can be of any more assistance.

I need to collect my plastic medical card,,, three months to process, for a six month cycle.....

Do not expect anything to be operational over any public holiday.

glf

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Nov 2010, 17:57
I was there today, Saturday, and at 2pm closing up, 1/2 day.

Dr Wafaa Al Shaer, E Mail is wafaa (dot) alshaer at groupgmc (dot) com

and Dr Akels is roger (dot) akel and as above. remove (dot) and spaces.

normally 08h00 the AME side opens up.

Glf

givemewings
25th Nov 2010, 10:39
Cheers for that!

Still no luck over the phone so email it shall be.

Looks like I'll get back to Oz before I get an appointment here so will do it over there if I can :ugh:

I am sure the ladies there are very busy with patients but surely a quick 2 minute call telling me if this Dr is the right person to help me couldn't be so hard?

Oh wait I forgot this is the middle east :E