PDA

View Full Version : Change of undies required in Melb TWR today after John Travolta's missed approach?

Critical Reynolds No
13th Nov 2010, 00:15
16 ILS arrival with a 300ft AGL cloud base. Broke out of cloud to the right of the small church at Bulla, probably saw the tower in his little windscreen!
Taps opened, back into cloud, no one saw that!!

Hempy
13th Nov 2010, 01:03
Dunno about the tower, the crane being used to build the new one might be a different story.
Saw a 727 go around on 09 one dark foggy night that went straight over the top of the tower, which has to be a km from the center-line :eek:.

AussieNick
13th Nov 2010, 01:42
one must then question the currency of the crew to be that far out of tracking tolerance for an ILS...

Critical Reynolds No
13th Nov 2010, 02:11
Forgot about the crane.

If you go here, you can see the track. Plug in 11.15am and he is on the ILS.

WebTrak: Melbourne International Airport (http://www331.webtrak-lochard.com/webtrak/mel3)

wishiwasupthere
13th Nov 2010, 02:24
Forgot about the crane.

If you go here, you can see the track. Plug in 11.15am and he is on the ILS.

WebTrak: Melbourne International Airport (http://www331.webtrak-lochard.com/webtrak/mel3)

He certainly made a meal of that last couple of miles!

eocvictim
13th Nov 2010, 03:39
Oh good he got it right the second time. Well done.

Capt Fathom
13th Nov 2010, 04:15
Got to wonder if that aircraft departing 16 interfered with the LOC signal?

Tiger 77
13th Nov 2010, 05:29
Anyone know when JT's flying into Perth?

SgtBundy
13th Nov 2010, 07:06
Where is the media beat up about this? Surely an incident as serious as a missed approach is worth 3-4 days of safety concerns.

:E

The Green Goblin
13th Nov 2010, 07:39
At least they referred to him as First Officer JT today on Seven news :ok:

Jabawocky
13th Nov 2010, 08:07
The radar tags showed nothing less than 300+ Metres, I wonder if Capt Fathom has hit the nail on the head? :uhoh:

Teal
13th Nov 2010, 09:20
I note that the unscheduled flight over Keilor sent the noise monitoring station there soaring to 72dB.

No doubt East Keilor resident Ms van den Berg of the 'Close Essendon Airport Campaign' will probably blame Essendon again....:ugh:

Peter Fanelli
13th Nov 2010, 14:18
Why are you all assuming JT was flying it?

Jabawocky
13th Nov 2010, 21:49
I note that the unscheduled flight over Keilor sent the noise monitoring station there soaring to 72dB.

How about we all chip in for the JetA1 and get hime doing laps of the city doing scenics for all those locals who complain the airport. Not above 3000 JT :}

Bevan666
13th Nov 2010, 22:19
Regardless of who was flying things sure did get out of shape down there near the mimima...
:eek:

Desert Flower
14th Nov 2010, 02:32
Anyone know when JT's flying into Perth?

He was due in today, but he had to head home as missus has gone into labor.

DF.

training wheels
14th Nov 2010, 03:31
Why is he visiting? Is it for Qantas PR in light of the A380 incident recently?

Desert Flower
14th Nov 2010, 03:44
Why is he visiting? Is it for Qantas PR in light of the A380 incident recently?

Something to do with QANTAS's birthday I think, & also probably something to do with Oprah's visit next month.

DF.

Continental-520
14th Nov 2010, 04:46
He was visiting to appear on Telethon. Was hoping to see the B707 in Perth today but I've now realised why it wasn't there courtesy of DF.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Nov 2010, 04:47
He WAS scheduled to appear on Perth CH 7's 'TELETHON' CHARITY Fund - Raising Program this evening (Sun) Perth time as the 'Star Guest', and to attend a 'Civic Reception' put on by the Perth Lord Mayoress - and be presented with the 'Key To The City' for his efforts....

I guess he's half way (?) home again by now....:ok:

Cheers

Sri 520...both in together...:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Nov 2010, 06:11
Interestingly, in this pic he has the Qantas emblem on his hat.

http://cdn.lightgalleries.net/4bd5ec034b4b8/images/PE2_3242-2.jpg

For the current trip down under, he seems to have been stripped of the hat emblem.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/11/06/1225948/847284-john-travolta.jpg

Dr :8

PS: Does that represent an upgrade or downgrade in ****** (insert word which seems to be banned here - starts with "W" and rhymes with "anchor") status?

Keg
14th Nov 2010, 07:40
Was the same on the Oprah show too (so my wife says). No wings on the jacket and no cap badge on the hat. Not sure what's going on there!

psycho joe
14th Nov 2010, 07:52
Perhaps he's been demoted to 'QANTASLink' status.

blueloo
14th Nov 2010, 09:55
He isnt a real Qantas pilot - he has a long sleeved shirt on underneath! (And a jacket on!)

Dangly Bits
14th Nov 2010, 11:13
Well that looked like my first ever ILS.

JT flew the first, and the FO flew the second I bet.

DB

VH-WTF
14th Nov 2010, 23:29
JT flew the first, and the FO flew the second I bet.
You mean JT flew the first, and the Capt flew the second..
Four bars on SIC? Rates highly on the anchor scale..

bruceK68
14th Nov 2010, 23:50
Managed a quick photo as he dropped out of the clouds about 500 meters from the centre line. 2nd attempt was shaky but successful. :):ok:

Jabawocky
15th Nov 2010, 00:56
Well post it up here for us all to see, we are simple folk who like pretty pictures.

J:E

PS as for the hat and wings, was that not part of his "employment" for the tour he did for QF about 5 years back?

Konev
15th Nov 2010, 03:14
wonder if he had a quick prayer to the allmighty xenu after that one :E

Dangnammit
15th Nov 2010, 06:29
At 11:24 a smaller plane on final rwy16 is caught by the following plane and had to turn away. That webtracker is pretty cool.
Anyway, on Friday afternoon a qantas 767 (I think) on short final rwy 27 went around. Was in the backyard and heard the loudest jet noise since the airshow, never seen a jet climb that high with gear down. I'll attempt to find it, was about 6pm.

Anybody else hear/see it?

Dangnammit
15th Nov 2010, 06:46
5:28pm fri 12 Nov.
At least this pilot didn't buzz the tower like jt

edit: You can get up flight details too
B763 QF447

slackie
16th Nov 2010, 00:41
He was 'sposed to arrive in Auckland last night about midnight....but it appears he couldn't find it!!

Shark Slayer
16th Nov 2010, 04:12
Is it just me or does anyone else find this Flying Ambassador thing a bit weird?

I really don't see what it achieves and wonder at the cost of paying him to do this as well as the cost of flying the old 707 around the world - I assume it comes from the USA or is it based in Australia?

The Australian Flag Carrier using an American - now that really is outsourcing!:hmm::hmm::hmm:

tasdevil.f27
16th Nov 2010, 04:27
Just means we folk get to see the old classic jet every now & then :8

Shark Slayer, he parks it in his backyard or is that his front yard????

http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/11/travoltahaus.jpg

Ted D Bear
16th Nov 2010, 04:50
He certainly made a meal of that last couple of miles!

Those Altimatic IIIs are hopeless at tracking the localiser :\

Shark Slayer
16th Nov 2010, 05:20
Can't help but be impressed with that house!

Nothing against the bloke personally, its just that I wonder at the value of it all!

Ted D Bear
16th Nov 2010, 06:25
I wonder at the value of it all

Let's see - QF paying for all the JetA1 to get my jollies flying a 4 engine-jet around. Sounds like grrrreat value to me :ok:. Good onya, JT

PS Is that thing noise compliant these days :confused: Must have good hush kits on it ...

PPS
For the current trip down under, he seems to have been stripped of the hat emblem.

Apparently, you need to be less than half-scale to keep the hat emblem ...

Jabawocky
16th Nov 2010, 07:28
Half scale......... lucky he keeps his 4 bars!

Actually discussing this off line here and I would like to know from some of the tech heads here if the departing 777 going through the LOC beam at the time the 707 was on the LOC close in could this affect the signal, and assume the AP was engaged the old 707 followed it?

this was raised by Capt Fathom on the previous page and nobody has said boo about it.

Of course you can exclude LOC bending due dragging an A340's arse through the antennae!

Fly-by-Desire
16th Nov 2010, 12:13
Actually discussing this off line here and I would like to know from some of the tech heads here if the departing 777 going through the LOC beam at the time the 707 was on the LOC close in could this affect the signal, and assume the AP was engaged the old 707 followed it?

Yep, seen it a few times, the dot zooms in and out as the plane enters the runway, its only for a second so the autopilot doesnt get a chance to chase after it

neville_nobody
16th Nov 2010, 22:13

If it was that then it is usually an oscillation and the aircraft rolls left and right hunting the LLZ. Best option is to hand fly. I have never seen one roll out to one side and send you miles off course. If JT did get aircraft interference then the ground track would have been rolling left and right not just spearing off to one side.

Could be quite possible that he left the HSI in backcourse LLZ mode and reversed the LLZ indication then didn't realise and couldn't figure out what was going on. Won't be the first time:rolleyes:......Alternatively the dude just can't fly.

Jabawocky
17th Nov 2010, 01:51
Thats interesting indeed! Thanks.

Could have had a nav failure, A/P disconnect and a messy recovery so went round too.

When you are famous you are forever in the spotlight, more so if you cock up! :ooh:.............Thats why I live in the dark:suspect:

Critical Reynolds No
17th Nov 2010, 23:42
Must be a slow news day. Took a while.

http://http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/qantas-denies-john-travolta-overshot-runway-on-melbourne-airport-approach/story-e6frf7jo-1225955489776 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/qantas-denies-john-travolta-overshot-runway-on-melbourne-airport-approach/story-e6frf7jo-1225955489776)

and secret footage? what da?

http://http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-breakfast-blog/john-travolta-misses-the-runway/20101117-17wkh.html (http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-breakfast-blog/john-travolta-misses-the-runway/20101117-17wkh.html)

Dangnammit
18th Nov 2010, 00:10
Secret footage. shh, I know, but I don't know, if you know what I mean.

Only everybody in aviation has known about it before today. Wouldn't surprise me if it made the news tonight, only because of the association with qantas, if nothing else.

Callouts
18th Nov 2010, 01:29
witnessed the event with a friend of mine who took some pictures of the approachs. I'll ask if he can post them. The missed approach one looks like the 707 is the new church weather vane! Mate thought he was doing a fly by for the QF open day. Fantastic noise and got to see it twice. At what point did atc tell him to go around? The weather was really bad.

A37575
18th Nov 2010, 12:20
Best option is to hand fly.

Wash your mouth out dear boy. Hand flying is for cowboys and never encouraged in any professional airline..:ok:

Agaricus bisporus
18th Nov 2010, 13:01
Perhaps he mistook that ohm-meter thingy they use to measure their extra-terrestrial auras for the localiser?
Perhaps the localiser was so affected by his extra-terrestrial aura that it forgot to tell the truth and pointed him towards a better way...

Certainly made a complete horlicks of the approach, whoever was "flying" it.

Critical Reynolds No
13th Dec 2010, 10:20
Just found a vid on youtube. This is from the spotter car park where aircraft on a normal approach go right over the top.

FCe78WEDgBA

2nd go:
HLV2y6QW7Mc

Cactusjack
13th Dec 2010, 10:51
Perhaps he was just trying to avoid the spirit of L Ron Hubbard who just happenned to be floating by when Johnny was on short finals ?

Peter Fanelli
13th Dec 2010, 12:25
Quick question, how many here have never cocked up an approach?

rjtjrt
13th Dec 2010, 21:38
Anyone who is enthusiastic about aviation is OK in my books.
Sad thet we tear down a man who is most likely a decent bloke who just likes aviation.
In reality the crew apparently mucked up an approach, and went round. Good airmanship!
John

Bevan666
13th Dec 2010, 22:20
I've cocked up plenty, but I have never persisted down an approach to that close to the ground...

He has got to be way outside the protected area for a LLZ at that height and displacement from the runway centreline.

Bevan..

Peter Fanelli
14th Dec 2010, 01:20
I've cocked up plenty, but I have never persisted down an approach to that close to the ground...

And none of us here know the circumstances of what took place in the cockpit.

Let it go FFS.

Brian Abraham
14th Dec 2010, 01:48
And none of us here know the circumstances of what took place in the cockpitAll too true, but it didn't stop British Airways and the CAA in the infamous "Oscar November" incident leading the Captain to commit suicide for a similar error.

Jabawocky
14th Dec 2010, 10:36
Cocked up plenty?............... me too.........well just one but what a balls up!:uhoh:

Codger
16th Dec 2010, 01:50
wonder if he had a quick prayer to the allmighty xenu after that one http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
Konev

Thanks for that. Best laugh I've had in a while.:D

CockpitJunkie
19th Feb 2011, 10:04
Interesting that JT wears 4 gold bars when he only has a Private Pilot Certificate.

Also he can only fly his 707 as second in command.

Wondering if the new Noise Regulations that banned the 727 and other aircraft from flying in Australia also caught the 707.

Jack Ranga
19th Feb 2011, 10:16
That first vid looks like my engine out ILS on a renewal :ugh::cool:

lurker999
19th Feb 2011, 11:23
Junkie,

it's his 707, if he wants to fly it dressed in a panda suit, pink tutu and high heels, or a pretend captain's uniform, so be it.

most of us woud like to afford his aircraft collection AND park them at home.

Super Cecil
20th Feb 2011, 21:46
it's his 707, if he wants to fly it dressed in a panda suit, pink tutu and high heels, or a pretend captain's uniform, so be it.

most of us woud like to afford his aircraft collection AND park them at home.

Good comment. This seems a typical prune thread, full of criticism, speculation, badly informed comment and covetousness. Covers most of prune posting.:8