PDA

View Full Version : The Dodson DC3

chase888
12th Nov 2010, 22:23
Like so many, I have sought and failed to find any economic alternative to the DC3.
We need an airplane capable of taking 10/12 people plus a ton of foods and freight about 400 miles into the wilderness on a regular basis.
Just came across a PT6 conversion called a Dodson DC3.
Does anyone have any first hand experience of this particular conversion please?

fleigle
13th Nov 2010, 00:07
Google is your friend.

Dodson Turbine DC3, Official Website (http://www.turbinedc3.com/)

Cheers, f

Sir Osis of the river
13th Nov 2010, 00:29
If memory serves, the Dodson 3 is based on the turbine modification designed by Earl Schaeffer in Waco, Texas. A good bush a/c, but the crew have to know what they doing. It is not a piston 3 anymore.

Another turbine conversion is the Bassler, which I believe is very good, but have never personally flown it

411A
13th Nov 2010, 05:11
Forget the DC-3, get an F.27 instead.

chase888
14th Nov 2010, 00:21
Thanks Gentlemen for your input, greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Landroger
14th Nov 2010, 12:26
It is extraordinary that such a venerable aeroplane should be chosen for a very professional conversion like the Dodson. :ok: My Brother-in-law and I are the same age and when my nephew - one of his sons - went to the CAA to have his licence endorsed with a DC-3 (P&W version) entitlement, the official observed that the Dak' was; "a bit older than you!"

Nephew says; "Older than me? It's older than my Dad!" :eek: 'It' at the time was a 1942 ex C47 with all its original instruments. :)

Roger.

Bushfiva
14th Nov 2010, 12:55
Pharkmi, an entire web site designed from the ground up to be invisible to search engines and humans. Someone needs a serious thwack with a cluestick.