PDA

View Full Version : Class C YSBK to YSCB

flyingpom
9th Nov 2010, 06:40
Hi All,

I am just about to start planning for a CTA flight from Bankstown to Canberra in as much Class C as is relevant ( bearing in mind I need to be below 10000ft ). Now before I go for my brief with my instructor, I wan't to get a step ahead with a good overview of what I need to know / should read etc etc.

I have read AIP GEN 3.4 Clearances plus AIP ENR re flight planning and ERSA Gen FPR

Couple of questions I have are listed below:

- Does anyone have a nice simple checklist of the proceders for planning a flight into class C along with the base set of radio procedures?

- Should i follow the recommended route as detailed in the ERSA "DCT BK CORDO V169 CB DCT" - Although I don't beleive this is a route for VFR aircraft?

Any assistance will be appreciated. FYI, I am a PPL and working towards my full CTA endorsement ( only checked for class D at the mo )

Ultralights
9th Nov 2010, 08:28
what does your instructor say?

CazbahKid
9th Nov 2010, 10:03
In the past I departed OCTA outta BK, tracked for Goulburn then made a call to CB APP at Lake Bathurst. Make sure you put in a domestic notification through NAIPS so ATC knows that you're coming. If any of this doesn't make sense let me know and I'd be happy to explain more.

flyingpom
10th Nov 2010, 20:03
UltraLights- FYI, I was after some advice "prior" to catching on with my instructor hence my note in the original question.

Any advice re the procedural calls would be good?? The VFG has helped a bit but it's still not definitive.

- After logging my flight plan, I think i need to call up on Gd at YSBK and request airways clearance to Canberra at my planned level? let's say 8500
- I think I'm then given some sort of clearance which I again need to quote when contacting Tower prior to departure?
- This should cover me in Class C till I reach class G when I think ats service gets terminated. I think I then make another clearance call approaching Canberra Class C steps?

Power
11th Nov 2010, 11:08
when i got checked out for class C I just did a harbour scenic ?

hsuman
11th Nov 2010, 12:31
The radio calls are documented nicely in the Aviation Theory center's "Flight Radio for Pilots-VFR Operations" text book. I found that quite useful. It comes with a CB arrival procedure from memory.

The route I would plan for is YSBK-YSCN-YGLB-LBT-YSCB.

You should call CB APP at a VFR reporting point. As another poster mentioned Lake Bathurst is a good one coming from Goulbourn. They are all listed on the Canberra VTC chart.

Also when I file the flight plan I also put in "full stop landing at YSCB" in the remarks just to let the ATC know my intentions on arrival.

flyingpom
11th Nov 2010, 20:36
Thanks hsuman, I'll have a look at that radio guide over the weekend.

bentleg
11th Nov 2010, 21:59
Have a look at your departure from YSCB too. Read the guides. From memory ask for clearance from ground with your taxi call. You will get your code etc as you are going along the taxiway. Stop taxi-ing when you get the info so you can write the details down. Don't trust memory, don't write and taxi at the same time or you might finish up on the grass. The taxiways are wide, resist the urge to speed. Have a good look at the aerodrome layout, a runway 30 departure requires crossing an active runway to get to your holding point. I do my runups at the parking bay before taxi to make it easier later. Change to tower when instructed at the holding point, same as BK. Airborne call and frequency change (if departing above 3500) just after take off.

PS - When VFR, I always go into CB via the Lake George North reporting point, but Lake Bathurst works too.

Atlas Shrugged
12th Nov 2010, 01:55
I am a PPL and working towards my full CTA endorsement

After logging my flight plan, I think i need to call up on Gd at YSBK and request airways clearance to Canberra at my planned level? let's say 8500
- I think I'm then given some sort of clearance which I again need to quote when contacting Tower prior to departure?
- This should cover me in Class C till I reach class G when I think ats service gets terminated. I think I then make another clearance call approaching Canberra Class C steps?

You have a PPL and you only "think" you need to do something or you only "think" something may happen, and you don't even know how to make proper radio calls??? How the hell did you get your license in the first place? :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Maaaaaaaaaaan, I have to share the skies with this?? I tell ya, I've launched with happier thoughts.