PDA

View Full Version : returning after 7 years....

Bwater
8th Nov 2010, 22:14
Gidday,

Ive done about 16 hours in the last 7 years....oh dear lord thats sad!!!
Thats just enough to keep fixed wing bfr current with a bit of a play.

Just over 1100 hours total time with Fixed wing and helicopter CPLs.
From memory ...about 120 hrs multi, 100 hours night, about 90 hours turbine. My logbook has been packed away, but digging it out as my medical is due.
On the heli side Im rated on robbys, 500s, and as350s. On the fixed wing side its 172s, 206s partinavias and crescos.
I did a wee bit of allsorts from charter and hunting throught to skydiving.
Spent about 5 years as a loader driver with HT and Dg. .
I needed some money and was earning a darn sight more on the ground than I ever did in the air.....I blinked....and 7 years have gone passed!!! Last few years have been spent working as a marine electrician and an ambulance officer.

Ive spent hours and hours searching the forums and old posts recently as Im wondering whether to start chasing the dream again and try to get back into flying for a job. I still stare at the sky longingly when something flies overhead.

Can you guys tell me what companies want, both fixed wing and heli, as their minimum hours now?
Im about twice the age of the folk that are learning to fly now, and I consider that a bonus in the big scheme of things.

Ive searched companies, pay rates etc, lots of old threads but current info would be great.

I would also love to hear how other folk have gone after a long period away.

Cheers and have a great day!!!

havick
8th Nov 2010, 22:23
Hey mate, try Heliwest in Perth. They have quite a few rotary contracts these days as well as running a few twin otters around the place. Maybe there is scope for utilisation in a dual role. Saying that, 1100 hours is a bit light on these days. Good luck

The Green Goblin
8th Nov 2010, 22:40
Slingair/Heliwork would be the place to get your eye back in with your licences. I'd give them a call and see what you can do. You'd be in with a pretty good chance provided you can get some currency again and are not too much work!

GG

MyNameIsIs
9th Nov 2010, 01:28
.....try Heliwest in Perth....... as well as running a few twin otters around the place.

Actually, only 1 Twotter.

aileron_69
9th Nov 2010, 07:04
I think Helimuster at VRD Station in the NT have a couple of planes as well as their plethora of Helicopters and may find someone of your talents useful. A bit out of season just now tho

Bwater
10th Nov 2010, 02:26
Thanks very much guys!!