PDA

View Full Version : The high-altitude Fishtail AS350 crashes in Nepal: Nov 2010

RockShock
8th Nov 2010, 17:59
Hi,

Just wanted to share this sad news I learnt a few hrs ago: Rescue helicopter crashes near Everest (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/rescue-helicopter-crashes-near-everest-20101107-17j5a.html)

So sad to hear of loss of lives, but also such circumstances make it even bitter. So, I'd like to take this opportunity and say 'Thanks' to all of you involved in this type of ops. I am just an aviation part-time fan, but closely tied with the mountains and I always had biggest respect for guys flying here.
Recently I was given a ride of my lifetime when I had to be picked up by a rescue chopper in Spain from the middle of nowwhere as I put myself into a situation where it's been deemed the only safe return option. I know none of you, and also the pilots who now rest in peace in Nepal, want this type of words - as it's only 'your job' as you say - but good to know you are around when needed - thanks and condolences to the families and friends of the people involved in the Nepal crash...

RS

Soave_Pilot
9th Nov 2010, 00:29
Almost 7000 meters... that's defying luck every day. Just saying.

RIP

rotorfan
9th Nov 2010, 06:16
Fishtail, a privately-owned airline, is the only company in Nepal providing high-altitude helicopter rescue, using a revolutionary technique pioneered by Swiss experts.Does anyone know of this "revolutionary" technique? I won't be flying at 7000m, but am curious how to do it. Is the rotor system near stall in that thin air? Or, is reduced power the bigger challenge?

albatross
9th Nov 2010, 09:42
"Witnesses reported seeing it burst into flames before smashing into the mountainside."

A very sad end for a brave crew.

Rest in peace.

alouette
9th Nov 2010, 14:02
I think the revolutionary technique is to fly by at the pick-up point as slow as possible, and sling the rescuer and patient off the mountain.

SayItIsntSo
10th Nov 2010, 15:20
I am truly saddened by the loss of Sabin Basnyat. I had known Sabin for most of his aviation career as he rose from co-pilot to owner of the company; and I will miss him.

Just because helicopters can fly that high doesn’t mean that we should fly them that high. When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn?

Perhaps it is time that the helicopter manufactures (and this manufacturer in particular) should tone down their publicity regarding high mountain operations and their products suitability for this type of operation. Maybe a health warning should be included in the Flight Manual instead. Alas consciences will probably be eased by another large contribution to IHST.

Despite having joined the effort to make a significant reduction in helicopter accidents in the coming years I still seem to keep losing friends from the pilot community in flying accidents.

Rest In Peace

skadi
30th Dec 2011, 11:07
there is a docu on swissTV about the training of the nepal pilots and also about this very tragic accident ( about min 30:00 in the video ).

DOK - Die Bergretter im Himalaya (1/3): Absturz in eisiger Höhe - DOK - Die Bergretter im Himalaya - Schweizer Fernsehen: SF Videoportal (http://www.videoportal.sf.tv/video?id=ad416e21-41f5-4d23-8d38-c104f4dd0efb;DCSext.zugang=videoportal_sendungsuebersicht)

skadi

agodesign
30th Dec 2011, 19:44
Sweet video, anyone with english subtitles? Or one without the translations overtop the english?

TisnTat
30th Dec 2011, 22:30
Just on TV!

Servus TV HD; Germany & Austria. Or

ServusTV - Die Bergretter im Himalaya (http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite/Article/Die-Bergretter-im-Himalaya-011259407471691)

Sorry for the guys :bored:

Thone1
31st Dec 2011, 13:14
And again tomorrow (Jan 1st), starting around 11 on ServusTv (Red Bulls TV-Channel), all 3 episodes back to back.

Thomas