PDA

View Full Version : Women pilots at EK

Iver
8th Nov 2010, 17:32
Just a general question. I realise there are still "sensitivities" in the ME about women who work. I also realise that some progressive countries have made big inroads in employing women.

Do EK employ many women pilots? Just curious because I know someone here in Europe who would consider applying to EK and she has thousands of hours on the A320/321. I believe her family is originally from the ME. Are current EK women pilots spread out on all fleets?

Thanks for any serious replies.

dv8
8th Nov 2010, 18:01
One woman pilot with me in my interview group We both got job offers on B777

Instant Hooligan
8th Nov 2010, 18:13
At a rough guess, less than 10 spread across all fleets from a total force of approx 2400.

Wizofoz
8th Nov 2010, 20:58
It's actually more like 40.

No restrictions on Female pilots, they just have to pass the recruitment and training like everyone else.

Craggenmore
8th Nov 2010, 22:17
My interviewer was a lady airbus pilot

763 jock
8th Nov 2010, 22:38
Any female Captains in EK?

fatbus
9th Nov 2010, 00:09
No Capt's yet but soon.

M-rat
10th Nov 2010, 11:41
It can be a little more complicated... there are some issues with indiginous types who are misogynists.

I am aware, factually, of recent case of an indiginous male Captain refusing to sign a Tech Log for accepting the aircraft at a European (southern, Mediterranean clime, with lots of famous statues and artwork...) destination. The dispatch engineer was female.

This was solved creatively by approval being granted for dispatch of the aircraft without the Captain's signature, by engineering management. Cute:yuk:

This kind of behaviour is tolerated in this part of the world.

I haven't personally been made aware of any issues with interpersonal friction between two operating pilots on the flight deck where one was female.

We did have an unfortunate incident with a totally professional female pilot with a superb resume, experience and ability who was recruited and began to fly for EK. Unfortunately, during recruitment, the idiots from EK did not catch the candidates' carefully chosen use of the word "partner"... and as a result the lady pilot moved to DXB but quit because her personal domestic situation is incompatible with UAE Law, and custom.

It is legal to beat one's wife here. The highest religious authority has deemed it correct and permissable to beat one's wife and children as long as there are no visible marks.

The local and national newspapers ran a few articles attempting damage control by distancing themselves from this strict ruling.

These published newspaper articles do not have the force of law, the religious authority however does. This is because there is no separation of "church and state" here. The religion, Islam, is the state. Period. There is no secular law, (except for financial matters in DIFC), so it is important that all prospective employees fully comprehend the consequences of uprooting and moving here.

Good luck

GMC1500
11th Nov 2010, 15:29
There was a female pilot new hire in my course today.
Nonetheless, the overall numbers are very low compared to canada.

Luke SkyToddler
12th Nov 2010, 01:33
Strangely enough this is one area where Qatar is ahead of the other gulf carriers, plenty of women pilots there including several captains, and quite a few girlie second officer cadets - including at least one I believe who crossed over from cabin crew to pilot

sec 3
12th Nov 2010, 03:43
Thats because they're desperate !

Janu
12th Nov 2010, 07:54
I've seen a total of two lady pilots when I've flown with EK in the past, they've all been Senior First Officers and flown the 777. I don't believe there are any female captains just yet, but I believe Etihad beat them to that one anyway.

411A
12th Nov 2010, 10:58
The first with female FD crew in the middle east (as I recall) was Royal Jordanian...in fact, at one time, the Dir Flt Ops was female.:E

MrMachfivepointfive
12th Nov 2010, 11:55
What about 'Captain Tag' (now retired). Wasn't she the first female left seater in the region??

Reinhardt
20th Nov 2010, 17:14
"and as a result the lady pilot moved to DXB but quit because her personal domestic situation is incompatible with UAE Law, and custom"

As far I'm concerned, that's a very nice part of the UAE law and custom.

And I'm european, white, christian and so on..... I was suffering so much in Europe with the sort of cabin crew we had to share the trips with, that now in the Gulf it's a welcome break.

And the first female Captain at EY has been a French lady, a couple of months ago.

Busworld
1st Feb 2012, 14:14
Hello!

After one year and half.....any EK female captain?

bigmountain
1st Feb 2012, 18:29
Yes .The first one is a captain on the B777. She is ex Varig and she started off as cabin crew with Varig and then trained to be a pilot . She left Varig as a b777 FO and after about 4 years in EK got prompted on the 777. The second one is an Aussie and Also a B777. Captain.
BM

Capt. Biff
1st Feb 2012, 19:54
I have a friend that transferred to the 380 as an FO. I don't know if she is still there, I haven't heard from her in a while. She said she was on the 330/340 and was able to transfer to the newer plane.

White Knight
1st Feb 2012, 20:49
One on the 330 too............... Captain that is!

givemewings
1st Feb 2012, 22:16
Saw at least 3 or 4 new ones at training centre in the last month or so as well as some new faces around departures...

Nice to see the ladies representing! :ok:

Busworld
5th Feb 2012, 18:06
I´m glad to know that:)
Is there any female pilot from EK which I can talk too? If yes, please send me a message...

Thank you all.

JenJen86
14th May 2012, 19:53
Just want to bring this thread up again to hear from any female pilots in Dubai/ Qatar to see what it's really like to live/work over there? :)