PDA

View Full Version : First World War from above - BBC 1 Sun 7 Nov

aviate1138
8th Nov 2010, 06:45
Watched part of the programme which looks fascinating [always did like aerial photography] and with 3D graphic overlays added it had my attention until the presenter one Fergal Keane? flying from Old Warden in an F 2B to see what it was like to fly, spoilt it.

According to Keane the most dangerous time was taking off.

"And the most dangerous part of all was, take-off. If the engine cut before you got airborne the plane simply drove itself - and the pilot - into the ground!"

Then a bit later "Travelling in it [F 2B] is terrifying." I thought the terrifying bit was being shot at with machine guns and wearing no parachute!

At that point I decided to watch when I was more sober! Click!

Rhayader
8th Nov 2010, 07:00
I agree there was a few cliches but the production did have to make it appeal not only to aviation and Great War buffs but the general public also. It was fascinating to see what previously was only really available as still images. Flying over Ypres in 1919 and seeing the utter devestation it is difficult to equate that with the beautifully rebuilt town that I visit regularly. On balance I think it was a well made programme with marvellous images that avoided being either too simplistic or too technical.

The end sequence was a bit of a shock but well filmed and quite emotional.

treadigraph
8th Nov 2010, 07:39
I enjoyed it, an interesting programme and far more compelling viewing than the usual Sunday night fare. I noticed Fergal seemed to be clinging on to the Brisfit for dear life (and I was wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the pilot*).

The aerial views from the airship in 1919 were quite superb and incredibly sobering. The devasation seemed as complete as those views of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. I had no idea that the British detonated so many mines under the German lines, had thought it was just one or two.

Edit: Rob Millinship!

Hipper
8th Nov 2010, 09:21
I too enjoyed the programme and although I found Fergal Keane mildly irritating it worked well. I also agree about the mines, particularly the nineteen at Messines and how they are now mostly ponds.

Now for a really good series on the WW2 RAF Photo Reconnaiassance Unit. There are many tales to tell here - V1 and V2, Tirpitz and other naval units, Normandy......., plus some fine characters, particularly Sydney Cotton.

Planemike
8th Nov 2010, 10:09
Excellent programme............ Enjoyed it.

Planemike

robmack
8th Nov 2010, 14:17
Re the mines at Messines-one of them hasn't gone off yet...your next visit could go with a bang....(sorry).

JEM60
8th Nov 2010, 18:32
TREADI
I wondered if Fergal was actually told to keep his hands there on take-off. I know that in my humble PPL days, I asked my passengers to keep hands well clear, so I suspect he may have been briefed to do it. Re Mr. Millinship, like you, I racked my brains as well. I was determined to find out when I came in, to find you'd done it. Saved me some time. Thanks.:)

Duckbutt
9th Nov 2010, 08:52
Re the mines at Messines-one of them hasn't gone off yet...your next visit could go with a bang....(sorry).

From what I have read (ie not I fully accept necessarily reliable sources) for whatever reasons five mines were not fired in 1917. One of these exploded during a thunderstorm in 1955 and the others are still there today. Some say that the exact positions of some of them have been lost in the mists of time.