PDA

View Full Version : RAF officer promotions

KeyPilot
7th Nov 2010, 16:34
I can see that the RAF website has RAF officer promotions since 01 Jan 07 but there is no way to search for promotions before then.

I know you can search the London Gazette, but this is very long-winded as it includes all promotions (even P/O to F/O etc.), so to build a list of promotions for say a decade period would take ages.

Does anyone know a source of plain text promotion lists by rank and branch (e.g. Engineering Branch / Flt Lt to Sqn Ldr / J Blogs etc.) for 2006 and earlier?

Thanks,
KP

iRaven
7th Nov 2010, 18:44
KP

Google could be your friend here by typing in "london gazette squadron leader to wing commander supplement 2006" - that will get you in the right direction if you look for supplements just after 1st January and 1st July. Obviously, replace "2006" for each year you are interested in.

I reckon it would take about 30minutes to compile a list for the next 10 years.

Happy hunting.

iRaven

teeteringhead
8th Nov 2010, 11:59
Of course, if we still had a proper hard copy Air Force List ........

KeyPilot
8th Nov 2010, 15:48
TTH - well indeed - another one to add to the list including station flights, batting, ...

Thanks for input. When I get round to it (target: next few weeks) I will produce a full promotions list (to Sqn Ldr and above) since 01 Jan 98 in Excel, and will upload it somewhere and paste a link here. I'll do a few stats pages while I'm at it - I suspect it will tell a story or two!

Thanks again all.

Tashengurt
8th Nov 2010, 16:51
Speaking of promotions. I was idly wondering the other day why a bod I vaguely knew as a Flt Lt on fjs in the early to mid nineties might still be a Flt Lt on fjs? I always had the impression he was one of our more competent pilots. Without wishing to put anyones nose out of joint and mindful of having never made it past the rank of SAC myself I just wondered if this was unusual?

KeyPilot
8th Nov 2010, 17:14
Tashengurt,

It is interesting. I know someone just as you describe - in my case, a creamie even.

It seems to me that the four categories (for Flt Lt pilots of all streams) are:

1. Expect to get promoted and do

Obvious group; mixture of all-round good guys (majority), and ar$elickers

2. Expect to get promoted and don't

A few of these; usually smart guys with good skills but a bit lazy or not very focussed

3. Don't expect to get promoted and do

These exist too! Usually talentless idiots who are good at upwards management and presentation but little else. Or they mature as they get older/have kids.

4. Don't expect to get promoted and don't

Most numerous group which don't need much comment!

Cows getting bigger
8th Nov 2010, 17:19
Masterful KP, truly masterful. :rolleyes:

Mend em
17th Nov 2010, 21:24
KP

With the greatest of respect, if they've not written to you by now, you're probably not on the list...:ok: