PDA

View Full Version : EK Cabin Crew reporting for duty even thou unfit to fly

Kamelchaser
5th Nov 2010, 12:54
Interesting to see a number of ASRs recently lodged by EK flight crew about cabin crew turning up for work in an unfit (ill) state to fly.

One reporter even suggested (quite rightly) that cabin crew were under severe pressure from In Flight Services management not to report sick for fear of being reported absent. This sort of intimidation is also being used to prevent crew from being promoted if they have even just a couple of sick days.

I have to say congratulations to those flight crew raising this issue..the cabin crew have almost no comeback for some of the atrocious treatment dished out by IFS middle management. As these decisions utimately affect crew performance on our flights, then unfortunately it ends up on our shoulders to raise the issue to higher management (or the overseeing authorites) through the ASR system.

(although of course you'll get the 411A's amoungst us with their "I don't care about first officers or cabin crew or anybody for that matter, as long as I'm allright jack" attitude..oh hang on, I blocked him a while ago so probably won't get that).

Anyway, I strongly feel we should keep raising this issue through ASRs if necessary; forcing crew to go to work when they're sick is just not on. The fact that cabin crew can no longer list fatigue as a reason for absence speaks volumes about how they're treated.

777boyindubai
5th Nov 2010, 14:10
Believe me. The ASR's are hurting EK management. Keep them up. We must use every procedural move against these people. The care about profits. Not safety. :ugh:

TurboDAWG
5th Nov 2010, 17:18
The sad part, amongst many, is that they get 400 AED deducted from their salary everytime they get an absent. :mad:

waldorfin
6th Nov 2010, 08:12
At last something of substance!! Totally agree here and kudos to the crew that filed those ASR's. Perhaps one way to "get the word out" is during the briefing to ask if anybody has reported for duty under said duress. Send them home and file the ASR.

sheikmyarse
6th Nov 2010, 11:40
Fokking slavery!!

a747jb
6th Nov 2010, 12:08
See, thats the exact thing thats no good. This company has folks so scared about backlashes that they won't fill out the paperwork needed to ensure safety! The question then becomes one of is this really a company you want to work for if they are going to backlash you for doing the safe thing? I know we all need jobs, but remember, its your certificate and your life.

As for flight crew sticking up for engineers, I think you find that most absolutely will if they know there is a problem. I filled out an ASR a few months back when engineering sent an engineer with us to somewhere after he just finished an all night duty cause they said they had nobody else. Translation, an engineer doing a very long duty. Not what we as flight crew want if something goes to **** and some major part needs to be changed.

My point in all of this, if something is unsafe, be it you as an engineer being injured, sick, or fatigued and "forced" to work, let your flight crew know. We will definitely without a question fill out an ASR. I think for the most part I speak for all the flight crew on here in saying we have had it with this company stepping on everyone. There is a little saying that goes "the one thing that a pilot and an air traffic controller have in common is that if the the pilot screws up, the pilot dies, if the controller screws up, the pilot dies" The same could arguably be said for pilots and engineers and I do not think anyone here wants our engineers, cabin crew, or anyone for that matter being forced to work when they shouldn't and compromise our safety and lives. Just my 2 cents, but please, engineers, let your crew know of safety issues. We will do our best to take it from there, at least I hope guys will agree with me on that.

Edited to protect your identity! EGGW

harry the cod
7th Nov 2010, 04:53
Absolutely agree with most of what's being posted here.

For those of you that may be paranoid and worried about 'backlash', use a Confidential HF Report. De identified and the message still gets through..... I hope?

Harry

Oceanic
8th Nov 2010, 11:23
OM-A Ch 6 deals with fitness to fly for Air Crew (ie both Flight Deck and Cabin Crew) 'Air Crew must commence flight duty in good physical and mental condition, so that the tiredness which will accumulate during the assigned duty period will not affect the safety of the flight.'
Flight duty is prohibited if not fit to fly, and 6.1.1 addresses the procedure for the removal of a crew member. I think the raising of an ASR is incorrect although not inappropriate for CC illness or fatigue. The issue should be addressed directly and the crew member offloaded, and VPNC informed to co-ordinate relief crew Obviously if the health concern only became apparent during the flight, then the crew member should be stood down immediately. ASR's for CC fatigue, although possibly the only way to alert the GCAA would not fall under Ch11 defn of 'crew seriously ill or incapacitated' nor would safety standards be be necessarily impaired unless of course the minimum crew for covering doors was being operated, seldom the case with EK (notionally still service oriented). Fatigue for Flight Deck is an altogether different case.

Saltaire
8th Nov 2010, 12:03
Very good thread. Everyone is at their limit and now they are asking those with leave in Nov. to help out. This place is so reactive, they can't see the forest through the trees.

The human remains dept, give you the standard, "we can't help you unless you help us" BS, crew sched spends half the day calling people on days off and jungling already maxed out rosters.

Fatigue ASR's are absolutely justified, if not now, when would you do it? Can it get any worse? Confidential HF reports are a good idea as well.