PDA

View Full Version : 10 helis over Melbourne CBD?

codenamejames
5th Nov 2010, 03:42
Anyone know what is going on today over Melbourne CBD?

Just saw about 10 helicopters flying due east approximately above the Yarra, then south about along St Kilda Rd. All followed the same path - looked like a formation of sorts...

Any info appreciated!

VH-XXX
5th Nov 2010, 03:54
If it had been yesterday I would have said something to do with the horse races as at Moorabbin later in the evening it was chopper central.

I await a definitive answer as you don't see that kind of thing often around here.

schoolboy
5th Nov 2010, 04:25
Actually 12 choppers, and flew from CBD across the top of Albert Park Lake and to the east for another mile or so. They then doubled back and did same flight path again. It seemed as though it was a photo shoot as the odd one broke away from the group and approached from side or rear before joining the string again.

Good sight and one rarely seen. :ok:

VH-XXX
5th Nov 2010, 04:45
Do you know what type they were?

Mainly Jetrangers or Eurocopters?

If it was mainly Jetrangers or if there were more than a few Jetrangers I'm tipping it was a pre-cursor photo-shoot to the start of the fireseason.

Other than that I'm all out!

codenamejames
5th Nov 2010, 06:11
From Carlton it was hard to tell, but I think a few jetrangers...

I spotted at least a couple of red/yellow rescue choppers amoung them.

Fireseason awareness/photoshoot sounds plausible

WannaBeBiggles
5th Nov 2010, 08:16
There were choppers flying to and from the governors mansion during the cup, but not sure what these lot may have been... visitors leaving after a big few days perhaps? :E

AirlinePirate
5th Nov 2010, 09:17
The 10 helicopters flew into the MCG and out, filming The Amazing Race :ok:

Critical Reynolds No
5th Nov 2010, 10:18
The spotters are onto it XXX

Amazing Race starting in Melbourne today - Sydney Airport Message Board (http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=6075)