PDA

View Full Version : Food you are allowed to board with

bardos
4th Nov 2010, 06:20
I suffer from diabetes and am obliged to follow a very strict diet. Airline food is vary bad for me. So I was wondering if I would be allowed to pass through the scanning machines with a couple of cans of sardines. Nuts. Hard boiled eggs. Cheese. Perhaps a metal spoon.

Advice and information is sincerely needed. Thank you.

Load Toad
4th Nov 2010, 07:03
Can't you usually specify a diabetic food option and you can always carry plastic cutlery (most of the knives will cut through chain mail).

EISNN
4th Nov 2010, 07:23
Bardos. There shouldn't be a problem with the nuts, boiled eggs and spoon but the canned sardines will be a problem if listed over 100 ml. Be sure not to bring metal knife and fork as they will be taken off you. The other thing is be prepared to not be allowed to eat the nuts you bring with you as sometimes crew are asked to make announcements for people to not eat nuts on board due to a passenger having severe reactions to them leading to anaphylactic shock - not a pretty sight believe me.

That said - as in the above post - you can order diabetic meals from your airline by ringing them 48 hours in advance normally. DBML is the usual code for such a request.

bardos
4th Nov 2010, 07:32
If you were a diabetic, you would laugh (well not actually, maybe cry is the correct term) at what an airline considers a diabetic meal. Definitely not for real diabetics as airlines do NOT understand diabetic requirements.

So a metal spoon seems ok, correct?

But a problem with canned sardines? They are not liquid, they are a solid, aren't they?

Wondering if anyone has any experiential data or a link which shows they are prohibited.

Load Toad
4th Nov 2010, 09:42
Do you really need that metal spoon? Is it a deal breaker?

bardos
4th Nov 2010, 09:48
no, the spoon is optional. My main interest is the canned sardines. And the other foodstuffs. Can eat with hands if necessary

MIDLGW
4th Nov 2010, 09:49
Metal cutlery is a no-no. Even then spoon. Plastic is the way to go. The sardines in a tin won't be allowed, due to the liquid in the tin. You could take the sardines out of the tin and put them in a plastic tub without the liquid. Solids are fine. Just make sure you've actually got solids. Pate and Brie, for example, are seen as a paste.

If security take any cutlery off you, ask the crew if they have a spare set.

boredcounter
4th Nov 2010, 10:07
with a ring pull opener?

Out Of Trim
4th Nov 2010, 10:35
I don't think Sardine tins would be allowed; when opened they have very sharp edges so, could be used as a weapon.

If you must take sardines; then I agree with the earlier comment, put the contents in a plastic container with not too much liquid sauce.

Betty girl
4th Nov 2010, 10:55
Well just joking but let us know what flight you are on because sitting next to someone peeling boiled eggs and eating canned sardines would be my idea of hell!!!

Joking aside, I don't know what airport you are flying from but at LHR Terminal 5 there are a number of great outlets like Izzu, Eat and Pret-a-Manger that sell fantastic salads, that would be really suitable for a diabetic and you would already be through security, so would not have to worry about liquids.

bardos
4th Nov 2010, 12:40
I will try and be as discrete as possible with my food-ing.

"with a ring pull opener?"

yes.

connoisseur
4th Nov 2010, 13:16
............there are a number of great outlets like Izzu, Eat and Pret-a-Manger that sell fantastic salads, that would be really suitable for a diabetic......

Salads provide a suitable meal for 'some' diabetics but far from all. We're a disparate bunch really where a meal sans carbohydrate may lead pretty quickly to a 'is there a Doctor on the aircraft?' call ;)

PAXboy
4th Nov 2010, 13:38
Contact the carrier you are booked with. It is true that they may not believe you and insist that their options are OK. In that case - a letter from your doctor.

Contact all the airports that you are passing through and ask them what is permissible. The option of buying from airport eatieries can be one of Russian Roulette for the diabetic. I know enough people who are to understand.

Rather than tins, perhaps you can take Tupperware (or similar)? That allows the container to be opened. I am thinking that some mothers who have taken expressed milk with them had to drink some in front of security to prove that it was harmless. Not fun - but that's how it is. If you can open and taste the food, then that is something. I suggest that you DO NOT offer it to them to taste themselves, as that could be construed as aggressive and they may think that you are trying to incapacitate them with something in the container.

Above all - do not turn up unannounced!!!! Contact them all in advance. Good luck!

WHBM
4th Nov 2010, 13:53
Metal cutlery is a no-no. Even then spoon....... If security take any cutlery off you, ask the crew if they have a spare set.
If security confiscate your metal cutlery go into any of the airside restaurants right after security and pinch theirs. They always have loads just laying in front of you on the tables.

Betty girl
4th Nov 2010, 14:09
A lot of crew bring their own food in every day and we go through just as stringent security.

As long as whatever you bring is not too runny, IE not a lot of liquid content, you could pre-make your own salad at home and as suggested above put it in a tupperware container. Many cabin crew and pilots do this every day.

Vizsla
4th Nov 2010, 14:20
and what are you intending to do with all your "gear" Needles, Insulin etc.

You must be a newly diagnosed diabetic if you do not understand all the parameters of what you can eat

bardos
4th Nov 2010, 14:26
O course I understand the parameters, that's why I need to carry on my own choice in foods.

BTW, I am type II diabetic,with no meds at all, which is why my intake of food is of paramount importance.

TSR2
4th Nov 2010, 21:11
If you are Type 2 Diabetic on NO medication then just take a few biscuits. The essential thing is to eat small amounts quite often.

bardos
4th Nov 2010, 21:26
No idea what biscuits are, but they sound like carbs. In a nutshell I am allergic to carbs and sugar.

bingofuel
4th Nov 2010, 21:51
I don't think Sardine tins would be allowed; when opened they have very sharp edges so, could be used as a weapon.

as can a small can of soft drink if torn open, and they will give you that free once on board.

Another security restricted item farce!

TSR2
4th Nov 2010, 22:43
You never mentioned initially that you were allergic to anything.

Type 2 Diabetis is a condition you will have to live with ... for life. If you are not on medication I would think that, although serious, it may not perhaps be as serious as it could be. It is a good thing that you are aware of the good foods and the not so good foods but do not let this condition run your life, just learn to live with it. With the exception of specific foods which you may be allergic to, there is no food which is totally banned to a Type2 diabetic. Certainly there are foods which you should try to avoid but the secret is consume food at regular periods and in moderation including alcohol.

If you feel you must take sardines and boiled eggs then I would strongly recommend that you incorporate them into a healthy salad in a bowl with a sealed lid. Alternatively you could always take with you, as I do, fresh salad sandwiches. Absolutely no problem with security.

MathFox
4th Nov 2010, 23:22
Whilst completely sympathetic with dietary needs in flight, if somebody opened a ponging, stinking can of sardines of all things (!!) on board an aircraft next to me, don't think I'd be accountable for my actions!
Bardos mentioned cheese and nuts, which IMO are much more acceptable for the average seatmate... And if the diet allows, a lot of food can be hidden in a sandwich.

Diplome
5th Nov 2010, 00:23
Baggersup:

I must agree. There must be dietary choices available that doesn't involve making your seatmate sick to their stomachs.

PAXboy
5th Nov 2010, 00:38
Just to show that you can never tell who is going to be upset by what you eat - and bardos please ignore this post as it's not about you!

I am allergic to coffee, even the smell makes my stomach churn. It's been like this all my life and it's not difficult to avoid. Except ... I recall a BD from LHR to Scotland in 1998 and BD were showing off their new wonder breakfast in Biz. Good food and large cups of steaming coffee to rival what the likes of Starbucks were offering at the time.

I was enjoying the meal a great deal when the bloke next to me got one of these coffees. He slurped and then turned to me to say how wonderful it was and waved the mug in my direction and I had to grab the cloth napkin and hold it over my face to prevent myself delivering my breakfast to him in a way that would spoil the start of the day for both of us!

Tin of sardines? I wouldn't mind - just keep the coffee away.

HamishMcBush
5th Nov 2010, 19:42
Can you honestly see someone bringing down, or taking over, a commercial plane with an empty tin can of sardines? What a farce our security rules have come to.

bardos
5th Nov 2010, 20:02
"Farce" is a very kind word for what they put us through at airports.

5th Nov 2010, 21:46
Instead of a metal spoon, have you considered carrying a "Spork". (available from Amazon and many other dealers for a few pounds).
I've taken one on many aircraft and never had a problem with security.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31kEkek84rL._AA300_.jpg

bardos
5th Nov 2010, 22:09
My new plan is to shop-lift a plastic spoon or fork from one of the many food areas. Risking 5-10, but it's worth it.

CallBell
7th Nov 2010, 15:15
Just ask one of the crew for a spare cutlery set or use the set that will be on the tray of food you won't be eating!

Pontius Navigator
7th Nov 2010, 15:27
You can cut someone's throat with a credit card.

On other contraband, in a weekend glossy was a KEY TOOL. This cunning tool has 3 screw drivers, nail file, tweezers and a bottle opener. How do you get in on board? It fits over a standard Yale key. Would it be spotted?

Then there is a 12-section pen. It writes. It also has a hole punch, steel file, long and short cutting blades, two screwdrivers, a nail remover, tweezers, saw, steel fork and ear pick. Again, would that be picked up?

Then this nonsense about liquids? What's wrong with solids and using readily available solvent on the aircraft?

How about Maltessers or even BombBombs?

Load Toad
7th Nov 2010, 15:45
You can't cut someones throat with a Malteser. Or a Bonbon.

Pontius Navigator
7th Nov 2010, 15:51
No but if the maltesser was a dumdum one that expanded in the throat.

Who mentioned bonbons? :)

radeng
8th Nov 2010, 07:39
Interesting point EISNN made about nuts. Certainly BA and American provide nuts before the meal in both Business and First, and in American's case, the nuts are 'loose' i.e. not ina sealed packet.

Airline meals are generally pretty awful, no matter what class you fly, and diabetic ones frequently more so!

Load Toad
8th Nov 2010, 08:04
We should all be able to take packed lunches - those up the front in some wicker basket thing with champagne & glasses - those in the back Tupperware and them boxes of drinks with a straw on the side.

Thing is - the stink.

I flew some years ago now (prolly late '90's) from HK to Qingdao - we chose Dragon Air (sensible at the time given the alternatives) but it was a one class flight and checking in late for some reason - I was stuck between a girl who opened her dried cuttlefish from the moment the wheels were off the ground and on t'other side an old gentleman who hercked up snot and spat it onto the floor of th' 'plane every 5 minutes - though the stewardess bought him hand fulls of tissues he appeared to not understand how to use them. Looking forward to the next 3 hours I motioned to the stewardess that I needed a medicinal glass of wine - the kindly lass bought me a full bottle which helped put me into a thankful sleep.

Joao da Silva
8th Nov 2010, 08:22
On other contraband, in a weekend glossy was a KEY TOOL. This cunning tool has 3 screw drivers, nail file, tweezers and a bottle opener.

So long as the tool shafts and nail file are less than 6cms long, this is not contraband.

superspotter
8th Nov 2010, 12:42
PAXBOY, how unfortunate being allergic to even the smell of coffee :(
Fresh coffee and fresh bread, the two best smells in the world :)

Rengineer
8th Nov 2010, 12:47
radeng, does that mean there's nuts loose on AA flights?:E

bardos, if you can't get a doctor to prescribe insulin for you (which I think should be the best treatment in most cases), dried meat (such as air-dried ham) will probably be more acceptable for your fellow passengers than sardines of all things. Also raw cucumbers and most types of green lettuce can be considered to contain no useful carbs, and make a refreshing change.:O Any raw food you bring should be eaten up before landing though, if it's an international flight, or you may have to give it up at customs. Or just phone the airline and explain exactly which foods you can and can't eat. Some at least will be able to adapt.

That said, I'm a type I diabetic and your situation re treatment may be entirely different. But no subject drift intended...

flapsforty
8th Nov 2010, 17:57
Bardos, as already said by others, sardines are a very bad idea and even if you remove all the liquid and get them through security in a tupperware box, the cabin crew might well take them away from you once the smell spreads through the cabin.

Getting caught nicking cutlery will put a premature end to your travels. Is a spoon worth that?
If you tell us what airline you will be flying, someone here will be able to tell you if they are willing and able to supply you with a cutlery set. All legacy carriers have them, no idea about Locos.
The spork mentioned by 419 is excellent; I have crossed worldwide security points with one of those in my flightbag for years. :ok:

Solid foods, preferably non smelly ones, will not be a problem. Most cabin crew will even be happy to keep them in the onboard fridge for you.

Many passengers with special needs come completely unprepared and expect cabin crew to magically produce whatever it is they need. And get shirty when we are unable to supply medicines/kosher/gluten free/ diabetic food out of thin air at 30 000 ft.
So compliments on your wish to be suitably prepared. :)

Load Toad
8th Nov 2010, 19:54
But a 'plane is a magic box and can do everything; strewth - it even flies f' chrissake!

PAXboy
8th Nov 2010, 23:28
superspotterPAXBOY, how unfortunate being allergic to even the smell of coffee http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif
Fresh coffee and fresh bread, the two best smells in the world http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gifAh - that's the point, coffee (fresh or old) is one of the WORST smells in the world. Along with beer, ANY kind of beer. Also curry spice, even coriander [strictly it's a herb not a spice but it is still repulsive!] and the list goes on. Unfortunately, I was born with a palate that is intolerant of many things and even the smell of them just make me heave. Enjoy your meal. :yuk:

radeng
9th Nov 2010, 05:37
Rengineer,

Last time I flew transatlantic with American, they came round with the trolley and there was this tray of warm nuts from which they filled a small dish for you. That was in First: they certainly used to do the same in Business.

SloppyJoe
9th Nov 2010, 09:49
depends on the day and who is working. Once the captain had his coffee confiscated but i had a 1.5 liter bottle of water in my bag. It is a joke, can't take vegemite through security in AUS but asked if I could if i ate it and then can i keep the empty jar, yeap you can do that. Had nail clippers taken off me once, 5 minutes later I was in the cockpit with a crowbar??? Best advice is prepare for the idiots to accept nothing without using common sense. Yeah take the fish out of the tin, drain the water and put in a plastic container or bag. Spoon should be OK even a metal one. eggs not sure as could be considered a paste by some of these morons. Best advice is get there early, if you have the lot taken off you go to one of the bars or cafes once through security and explain the situation and ask for specific things and am sure they will help you out such as some hard boiled eggs. There eggs are from chickens that have gone through security profiling to make sure they are not affiliated with any know terrorists :confused:

Rengineer
10th Nov 2010, 09:28
radeng,

that sounds very yummy. But the pun is still too good to miss. :)

bardos, have you had a chance to put your plan into action?

Joao da Silva
10th Nov 2010, 09:38
that sounds very yummy. But the pun is still too good to miss. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

As the old joke punchline goes, "the bull he does not always lose the fight,senor."

bardos
10th Nov 2010, 10:39
bardos, have you had a chance to put your plan into action?

I leave from Madrid on the 19th.

radeng
10th Nov 2010, 12:34
Rengineer,

there's nuts loose on many flights, not just American! I think there's normally more on the 'chav' flights in the summer, though.

Load Toad
10th Nov 2010, 13:19
How far are you flying with your sardines and personal cutlery?

bardos
10th Nov 2010, 18:29
How far are you flying with your sardines and personal cutlery?

Madrid --> NYC technical stopover NYC-->SFO

two weeks later SFO--> LAX LAX--> Maui

then all in reverse.

Load Toad
10th Nov 2010, 22:53
Surely with such a trip booked so well in advance you could have requested & confirmed your requirements with the airline though? As your dietary requirements are so critical.

Joao da Silva
11th Nov 2010, 08:04
Load Toad

As you well know, meal requests are not guaranteed.

And if you read post #4, you will see that Bardos quite clearly states the reasons for not doing this.

Load Toad
11th Nov 2010, 09:48
Yes I'm aware of that and I've read that post; thank you for pointing it out to me again. However with such a critical diet it seems safe to assume if something goes wrong the cabin crew may be dealing with a very sick passenger - I trust bardos has informed the airline accordingly.

bardos
11th Nov 2010, 10:21
Yes I'm aware of that and I've read that post; thank you for pointing it out to me again. However with such a critical diet it seems safe to assume if something goes wrong the cabin crew may be dealing with a very sick passenger - I trust bardos has informed the airline accordingly.Little Toad, there is no medical emergency. It will definitely help if you increase your knowledge about my condition and Type II diabetics in general.

Type II diabetics, unlike folks who have type I diabetes, do produce insulin; however, the insulin secreted by the pancreas is either not enough or the body is unable to recognize the insulin and use it properly.

This results in higher blood glucose levels than normal, which over many years will cause damage to internal organs.

So the job of a Type II is to keep one's blood glucose levels at "normal levels" through a combination of exercise, pills (meds) and diet. Each person is different.

I am controlling my blood glucose levels through diet and exercise alone, based on the theory that all meds will eventually produce unknown secondary effects and generally work by stopping certain bodily processes in order to cure a specific symptom.

In order to control my BG (blood glucose) levels, to have them be at a "normal" level, I have to control my diet pretty severely. Everyone knows to cut out sugar, but for me this also means as little carbohydrates as possible. Carbohydrates turn into sugar once digested.

Airline meals, even "diabetic" ones have been shown to be very high in carbohydrates. So on board meals are out for me.

This is the reason for which I started this thread. I know my dietary needs. I only wish to know if the flying authorities (TSA in the USA) will permit me to keep to my dietary needs or will confiscate my food as terrorist weapons.

Chuchinchow
11th Nov 2010, 14:13
Ultra-orthodox Jewish passengers, who do not trust the rabbinical supervision of airline meals, often bring copious quantities of home made food on board their flights.

I was made only too aware of this a couple of weeks ago when I sat next to two Jewish gentlemen, who were eating their own malodorous garlic sausage sandwiches throughout a flight from LAX to JFK.

(If only they had been eating LOX from LAX . . .)

nicolai
15th Nov 2010, 09:49
My success rate on taking a titanium spork (as sold in camping shops) through airport security is that I lose one about 0.5% of the time - I lose one every 12-18 months and I make 100-200 trips through airport securities in various places in that time. Occasionally some busybody bothers to dig it out of the bottom of the bag and glares at me.

The main point of contention seems to be how sharp the tines are, I have had more success (as in, examined a couple of times and not seized) with one that has somewhat rounded points and not really sharp ones.

So I carry one in my hand bag for the inevitable times when my airport or airline meal is missing cutlery through my own or others' fault, and one in my hold bag as a spare so that if it gets taken off me, I just switch to the spare. Running costs of this arrangement are GBP5/year ish :)

(I have a titanium one because it seemed cool, but I mention it because it's non-ferrous and that might make a security difference).

OllyBeak
17th Nov 2010, 04:22
Sorry about the dread thrift, but all this security stuff...

Then you get on board and have a meal with a full complement of METAL cutlery - often including two knives.

This is on SIA, and not to all places, but it does seem strange.

sitigeltfel
18th Nov 2010, 09:17
Checking in at MRS for a BA flight yesterday I was asked the usual questions about hand luggage, no sharps, aerosols etc. She added to that list, "No cheese". It appears that the scanners at MRS cannot see through "Le Fromage". I have never come across this before, anyone else?

Diplome
19th Nov 2010, 10:43
I only wish to know if the flying authorities (TSA in the USA) will permit me to keep to my dietary needs or will confiscate my food as terrorist weapons.

Perhaps you were feeling a tad overly dramatic when you posted this?

Seriously, you have Type II Diabetes, hardly a rare condition. My husband has the same as do many other travelers.

If you are going the low carb route the answer is to simply use common sense. Would sardines in a tin be appropriate...probably not. Easily solved placing them in a small plastic container...or even more easily solved by NOT CHOOSING SARDINES FOR YOUR FLIGHT. There are many other choices in your diet.

As for utensils there are many avenues available to obtain plastic "sporks".

Its Type II Diabetes for heaven's sake, hardly "Boy in the Plastic Bubble" restrictions.