PDA

View Full Version : Poppy appeal

vecvechookattack
3rd Nov 2010, 22:39
Jon Snow rounds on the 'poppy fascists' | People in the News | People | The First Post (http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/71017,people,news,jon-snow-rounds-on-the-poppy-fascists?)

I'm with Jon Snow. I pay £10 a month to the RBL (and a considerable amount more goes behind the bar on a friday evening) but I never wear a Poppy. Having lost some very good friends in both combat and peacetime operations I don't feel I need to wear an emblem to remember them.... Remembrance day isn't once a year.... its every day.

Rhayader
3rd Nov 2010, 23:06
Well, instead of the monthly payment and the additional contribution you piss up against the wall why not get out there and shake the tin. Between december and october rather than donate the tenner why not take a few veterans to a hospital appointment or up to Tescos to get the food in, just go round and swing the lamp with them for an hour or even take them out for a tot. That is looking after our own in a personal way and is far more fulfilling than checking a monthly bank statement.

Aerouk
4th Nov 2010, 01:00
Well, instead of the monthly payment and the additional contribution you piss up against the wall why not get out there and shake the tin. Between december and october rather than donate the tenner why not take a few veterans to a hospital appointment or up to Tescos to get the food in, just go round and swing the lamp with them for an hour or even take them out for a tot. That is looking after our own in a personal way and is far more fulfilling than checking a monthly bank statement.

As much as I agree with you I must add that £10 a month towards the RBL is also extremely helpful to individuals such as my father who required financial, legal and health assistance when he left the forces after serving in a number of conflicts.

I agree with Jon Snow that you should be able to celebrate the event in your own personal way.

Boy_From_Brazil
4th Nov 2010, 08:18
I am surprised and delighted to see poppies on sale in Dubai liquor stores.

I have had some strange looks when I wear one, but it is my choice!

Out of interest, does anyone know if they are available in any other countries?

Regards

BFB

teeteringhead
4th Nov 2010, 09:18
IIRC Dubai even had a Poppy Appeal Ball or similar last year. Am I imagining that Twin Aisle me old mate? (and congrats on the new job!)

November4
4th Nov 2010, 10:19
Am with Jon Snow as well - Rememberance is a personal thing and just because you don't wear a poppy does not mean you forgetting the past or anything. No one should be coerced into wearing any emblem just because someone thinks they should.

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Nov 2010, 12:35

This sums up nicely the point Jon Snow was trying to make. The OP donates a tenner a month and it's still not enough for some folk :rolleyes:

Willard Whyte
4th Nov 2010, 13:50
Whilst I agree with the sentiment that one should find one's own way of 'celebrating' rememberence, I do feel it behoves those in the public eye to set an example. Even if the only outcome of this example is that it might encourage members of society unaware of the symbology of the poppy to ask why it is worn.

Neptunus Rex
4th Nov 2010, 14:01
Boy from Brazil

You will be delighted to know that the Sri Lankan Air Force guys and gals have been selling poppies at Colombo Banderanaike International for the past two weeks. They also sell a beaut wreath of poppies wrapped in cellophane.

SLAF provides the security service to the airport, and they are simply the best. Always immaculately turned out, smiling, pleasant, yet totally professional and efficient, they should be the benchmark, setting the standard for other airport security services around the world.

Chinny Crewman
4th Nov 2010, 15:39
RBL have a very active membership in Andalucia, lots of poppies and several fundraising balls.

Shack37
4th Nov 2010, 15:59
I'm partially with Jon Snow in that wearing the Poppy two weeks before Remembrance Day as per BBC newsreaders is ott but I see no reason for public figures not to wear it two or three days before. There are many from the younger generations who genuinely are not aware of the Poppy's significance and exposure to the public wearing of it may cause them to question why and what it means.
Carry on giving your ten quid a month, it'll be put to good use and your bar bill will be welcome too but wear your Poppy too with pride because it's not only the comrades you've lost personally that are remembered but many thousands of others.

We shall remember them

Wiretensioner
4th Nov 2010, 16:07
The Poppy Ball in Dubai has been an annual event for a long time. I was on Loan Service 1998-2002 out there and it was held every year. Usually the organisers got a military band out for the event and much money was raised. Good to hear it is still going.

Wiretensioner

Plastic Scouser
4th Nov 2010, 16:40
I believe that they're also found in France too...

Tankertrashnav
4th Nov 2010, 18:04
Jumping on my annual hobby horse, but are they making any sort of impression in Ireland these days? (Corsair, you'd know). Always thought it a shame that the thousands of Irish war dead - volunteers to a man - were airbrushed out of Irish history in the past, but I had heard that things were changing.

teeteringhead
4th Nov 2010, 19:39
Is not the point about BBC/journos/MPs or whatever is that they are wearing them before they have gone on sale.

Now they may have special arrangements, but one deduction would be they had squirreled away last year's and were recycling them - doing RBL out of the cash.

Shurely shome mishtake ......

Chugalug2
4th Nov 2010, 20:50
TH:
one deduction would be they had squirreled away last year's and were recycling them
Another would be that newsreaders, presenters, guests, celebrity chefs, property makeoverers and all the lovies are fitted out with them, together with the radio mikes, off camera by the studio crew. Where do they get them from? Why you TH, who else? Pained as I am to say so, but VVCA...etc has a point. It really grates every October to see the Beeb displaying its awareness, for it is awareness of what that is the issue. Don't wear the poppy, wear the poppy, it's a personal choice. Make that choice with pride while you may, but take the OP's lead and Remember Them!

foldingwings
4th Nov 2010, 21:02
.............and South Africa

Old-Duffer
4th Nov 2010, 21:04
......... whatever next.

A few years ago, I took a group of air cadets to sell poppies in Daventry. A simple task I thought - stupid boy!!

First, the manager of a well known supermarket chain asked that we didn't hang around outside the main door of his store; apparently customers could be embarrassed at being pressurised into buying a poppy, ipso facto bad for supermarket business.

Second, I was to brief the cadets that this was a 'passive' event: rattling the tins and any sort of urging of the great unwashed to buy a poppy was considered 'intimidatory behaviour'.

There are times I do wonder!

O-D

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2010, 21:18
The point about private and personal remembrance is a similar arguement for not going to church of a Sunday.

We are all capable of private remembrance but the point of going to church, and indeed wearing a poppy, is collective remembrance.

That some people wear them in advance of public sale is not oneupmanship but advertising?

I was at an RBL luncheon on 24 Oct. Quite a few poppies were in evidence at the lunch from the Brigadier down.

gunbus
4th Nov 2010, 21:30
As a Poppy "seller" for some fourteen years outside my local upmarket supermarket in surrey,I have rec,eived nothing but the greatest support for the cause from both management and customers alike,last years collection raised£13,000 plus,I am provided with a hot meal,and as many drinks as I need by costa,and I can assure all our lads and lasses serving that our public are behind them mods forgive me for the advert,but God bless Waitrose :ok::ok::ok:

incubus
5th Nov 2010, 11:49
When I wear my poppy it is not to help me remember. It is not to show that I care nor is it any other kind of status symbol.

I wear it to make others think, remember or perhaps ask questions about why it is worn. I wear it to support the cause and to perhaps bring in a little more change for the appeal.

chopd95
6th Nov 2010, 13:00
Chacun a son gout (as we must now try to regain our schoolboy french)

I agree that we all remember in our own way those who have laid down their lives that we may be free.
That includes those who we knew as young men with all before them, and who perished both in combat and in flying aeroplanes in the cold war and beyond.

The Poppy is a vital emblem, long may it be so

BEagle
6th Nov 2010, 13:32
...of a Sunday...

Oh dear, PN, such FNM-speak.

Back to poppies, I agree that 'poppy creep' seems to be a meeja thing. I haven't yet encountered a poppy seller in my local town this year, so perhaps there's some luvvies' source which provides them to remind others that it's an important time of year?

Back in the 1950s and 60s, we used to have the proper ones with 'Earl Haig' in the centre - and even posher ones for the cars. Present day ones are rather cheaper looking - which hopefully means that production costs are less, so more money goes to the fund.

Tankertrashnav
6th Nov 2010, 17:18
Back in the 1950s and 60s, we used to have the proper ones with 'Earl Haig' in the centre

I understand that Haig's name was removed from the poppy as late as 1994, presumably in response to the general decline in Haig's reputation over the years. The charity is still known as The Haig Fund, however, as far as I know.

In looking this up I discovered that this business of white poppies goes back to the early years after the Great War (I thought it was a lot more recent). Personally I have always thought that the subtext of the white poppy, ie if you wear a white poppy you are anti-war, ergo if you wear a red one you are pro-war is pretty insulting. After all I doubt if anyone could have been more anti-war than someone who had survived the trenches of Flanders or the Burmese jungle, and those guys had no problem wearing red poppies.

gunbus
6th Nov 2010, 19:27
B EAGLE

Re lack of poppy sellers,in my area we find it difficult to get volunteers also,the cadets do a good job,but as us old uns wear out,or cross the bar,not many younger ones seem too keen,sadly, to fill in.

TTN

RE Haig fund,I think it is still refered to as such in Scotland

All the Best

Gunbus

Fire 'n' Forget
6th Nov 2010, 20:04
Jon Snow 'tttttt'

Look at this at Celtic Football Club TODAY :mad: Sadly these 'people' are only able to display such disgusting statements because of our troops continued fight and sacrifice to ensure freedom and democracy for all people. My lad has been out with both his football team and his ATC squadron selling poppies and knows and understands why.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8416/poppyu.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/poppyu.jpg/)

gunbus
6th Nov 2010, 20:27
All the more reason to support the poppy appeal,FREEDOM,they have it we do not,suppose we held up banners RAG HEADS OUT,God help us!

RUCAWO
6th Nov 2010, 20:46
Hopefuly someone in the PSNI TSG has seen this and give the Celtic supporters getting of the ferry tonight a nice warm welcome :E

Legalapproach
6th Nov 2010, 20:46
Yes the Beeb supply them to their staff and guests. I took part in a news program last November and a studio gofer went round handing them out, thrusting one in my direction not being able to see the one already on my suit lapel under my outer apparel. As the BBC seem to have them in bulk i hope they make a suitably large donation to RBL.

Agaricus bisporus
7th Nov 2010, 01:22
Oh! So there's some protocol that we "can't" wear poppies before a certain date, is there?

Where?

They aren't tacky Christmas decs or Easter bunnies. There's no bad taste associated with remembrance 24 x 7 x 365.
Except telling people they "can't" or "shouldn't".

kevmusic
7th Nov 2010, 17:17
Oh! So there's some protocol that we "can't" wear poppies before a certain date, is there?
Where?
They aren't tacky Christmas decs or Easter bunnies. There's no bad taste associated with remembrance 24 x 7 x 365.
Except telling people they "can't" or "shouldn't".

Some years ago I made a very poor watercolour of a Lanc taking off - I don't inflict it on anyone save my immediate family and visitors to our living room, but I do hang a poppy on the frame all year round. If I had it in me to do a better painting of a Lanc I might show it somewhere a little more proudly, and hang a poppy on the frame there too.

On another tack, my daughter currently works in Hong Kong and would like to wear a poppy, but she hasn't seen any poppy sellers. Does anyone know where she might find one in this so-recently-British ex-colony?

Tourist
7th Nov 2010, 18:15
Does that banner read

"No bloodstained poppy on our hoops"?

To be fair, that is not where I wear mine either....
:ooh::confused:

Ray Dahvectac
7th Nov 2010, 22:27
my daughter currently works in Hong Kong and would like to wear a poppy, but she hasn't seen any poppy sellers. Does anyone know where she might find one in this so-recently-British ex-colony?

This link may help: RBL Hong Kong & China - Poppy Appeal 2010 (http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/hong-kong/poppy-appeal)

Their appeal takes place on Saturday, 13th November. I get the impression that may be the only day that poppies will be found for sale on the streets of HK.

kevmusic
7th Nov 2010, 23:27
Thank you Ray! :D Link sent to said daughter.

teeteringhead
8th Nov 2010, 11:44

Where? there is for the RAF (in uniform), and I guess something similar for the other Services. The regulation (AP 1358 para 0132) states: b. Remembrance Day Poppy. The poppy may be worn from the onset of sales. Poppies are to be removed after the National and local observation of remembrance has concluded each year. The Remembrance Day Poppy is to be worn on parade (see para 133 below).

Boxer42
8th Nov 2010, 12:04
I was out Poppy Selling with my ATC unit on Saturday and whilst chatting to the RBL chaps we were supporting they mentioned they can't sell poppies until after the 28th October. They usually get out a couple of days to sell them but rely on shops etc selling them on their behalf the rest of the time.

It was interesting to see who actually donates and wears a poppy. There was a real mixed bag of poeple, old and young, male and female, and whilst there were a lot of people not wearing poppies we had numerous donations from passers-by who didn't actually want one including a couple of donations of £20. So whilst it may appear that not everyone supports the appeal the truth may be very different.

Thunderguts
8th Nov 2010, 12:43
My daughter distributes poppies in Hong Kong, getting over 20,000 $HKG
around the bars and health clubs on the island.

diginagain
8th Nov 2010, 13:13
Does that banner read

"No bloodstained poppy on our hoops"?

No, it reads "BLOOSTAINED". Bit of an own goal. Caused a stir over on Arrse.

Shack37
8th Nov 2010, 15:25
No, it reads "BLOOSTAINED". Bit of an own goal. Caused a stir over on Arrse.

Ah, so the illiterate berks can't spell blue either:\

sitigeltfel
8th Nov 2010, 15:34
Can anyone explain the reason for the difference in design between the Scottish poppy and the English/Welsh/NI variety?. The later appears to be botanically incorrect because of the addition of a leaf.

Jimmy Macintosh
8th Nov 2010, 19:26
Available in southern California.

Get many a strange look and subsequent enquiry.

Sandy Wings
8th Nov 2010, 19:50
was in LA the other day, at the TSA desk wearing my poppy and the genius asked if it was a 'spy' camera!!!:D

Wander00
8th Nov 2010, 21:33
Case in Portsmouth of a shop stopping an assistant wearing a poppy. Have now "relented" - to allow staff to wear a poppy only on Remembrance Sunday. Allegedly they all tried last year to stop poppy sellers collecting outside their shop.

See link Hollister shop assistant gets wearing poppy ban because 'it's not part of uniform' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1327826/Hollister-shop-assistant-gets-wearing-poppy-ban-uniform.html)

Suggest we give this store a wide berth

gunbus
8th Nov 2010, 21:48
Too right wanderOO,hit em where it hurts, in the tills,did hear though that the girls have to buy the clothes they model in which case they wear what they like on them,a small enamel poppy perhaps?:ok:

GUNBUS

newfieboy
9th Nov 2010, 00:35
In a remote heli-portable drill camp in N.Ontario (middle of a swamp) every man and his dog wearing one........Canada remembers.....:ok:

Barksdale Boy
9th Nov 2010, 01:37
Poppies are available just inside the entrance of the Foreign Correspondents' Club in Hong Kong.

fincastle84
9th Nov 2010, 09:49
Glad to report that our sales in this little corner of NE Dorset are going very well. The newly introduced poppy lapel pins have sold out & the new wrist bands are proving very popular with both the younger children & teenagers.

Happiness is my new counting machine.:ok:

skua
9th Nov 2010, 17:14
For anyone who cannot find a poppy seller in their 'hood, there is always:
The Royal British Legion - The Poppy Shop > Home (http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/)
with a variety of merchandise available.

doubledolphins
9th Nov 2010, 21:21
The pins have been around for a few years now but are proving very popular this year. They have nearly sold out in Liverpool. Which is great at £2 a time, or more. There should be more on the streets very soon.
Also whilst on the subject of the banners at Celtic Park, I am happy to report that whilst the crowd at Anfield sung the "Fields of Athenry" a collection at the ground did raise over £2000 and a few Irish Euro. There have been Soldiers on Lime Street Station through out this years appeal and they report very high donations. Many £20 notes going in to the tins.

Shack37
9th Nov 2010, 21:29
Also whilst on the subject of the banners at Celtic Park, I am happy to report that whilst the crowd at Anfield sung the "Fields of Athenry" a collection at the ground did raise over £2000 and a few Irish Euro.

There's no reason why they shouldn't sing this lovely song. It has absolutely nothing to do with Irish republicanism or terrorism.
Great to hear they were generous as well as choral though:ok:

Wander00
9th Nov 2010, 21:48
Ref Portsmouth shop assistant, Hollisters/A&C have U-turned, saying they now recognise the issues involved - where have they been? But a good result!

Pontius Navigator
11th Nov 2010, 10:39
Had to berate Mrs PN this morning for not wearing a poppy on her nightie.

Got to applaude Ed Milliband and partner for wearing their poppies - his pinned to a shirt and her to a blouse. Laudable. Mind you Samuel Milliband was not wearing his.:\

fallmonk
11th Nov 2010, 11:02
Re; Banners at Celtic park,
Can I just say am a Celtic fan but am utterly ashamed off these idiots and the fact they can't spell kinda proves how thick they are.
Please do not take these idiots are the majority of Celtic fans. Celtic FC issued a apology and are currently trying to find the idiots who will be banned from the stadium.

Ps does anyone know why the text line is not working for the British legion (70090 number ) ?? Am hoping it's just a temp crash so it doesnt loose much needed revenue .

ORAC
11th Nov 2010, 12:57
Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to remember war dead (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328703/Remembrance-Day-Poppy-burning-Muslim-protesters-mar-Armistice-Day.html)

Blacksheep
11th Nov 2010, 12:59
Haven't been able to find a Poppy Seller this year - I work in the day time and only get into town on a Saturday morning but none of the local shops has any. So, I paid £5 for a PC Wallpaper image by texting "Poppy" to 70090 on my mobile phone. I'm not that worried about not having anything to wear on my lapel, but I do wonder where all the "Poppy" sellers are this year?

As regards the protestors, if there were 50 of them, how come only three were arrested for public order offences? All 50 should have been prosecuted. I can remember a time when the police would have had to protect them from a lynching before arresting them. :(

coldbuffer
11th Nov 2010, 13:02
Name and shame the person, give him a fair trial then hang the B*****d

skua
12th Nov 2010, 16:33
I agree with your sentiment, but that would mean a big job creation scheme for hangmen - believe it or not, some 2-300 boxes are stolen each year. Scumbags!

Ian Corrigible
12th Nov 2010, 17:11
British Refuse to Remove Poppy Lapel Pins After Chinese Says it Reminds Them of Opium Wars
AFP (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/british-refuse-to-remove-poppy-lapel-pins-after-chinese-says-it-reminds-them-of-opium-wars-ncxdc-101111) Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010

British Prime Minister David Cameron Wednesday wore a poppy in his lapel to honor British war dead, despite China's request he remove it because officials said it reminded them of the Opium Wars.

Cameron and members of his delegation have all worn poppies during their two-day visit to China ahead of Armistice Day Thursday, the 92nd anniversary of the end of World War I.

Poppies however have a different meaning for Chinese officials who asked the delegation to remove the paper flowers because they were reminders of the two 19th century Opium Wars that China lost to Britain, a British official said.

"The Chinese informed us it would be inappropriate to wear poppies because of the Opium Wars," an official from the prime minister's office said on condition of anonymity.

"We informed them that they mean a great deal to us and we would be wearing them all the same," the official said.

Poppies became a symbol for the war dead because they grew on the battlefields of Western Europe. They now are sold each November in Britain and several other countries to raise money for veterans' charities.

Chinese school children are taught as part of their patriotic education that the Opium Wars were a symbol of national humiliation.

This year is the 150th anniversary of the second Opium War, which Britain fought to force China to open up to trade, including the narcotic made from the poppy.

The first Opium War, which ended in 1842, ended with China ceding Hong Kong to Queen Victoria. Britain returned the territory to China in 1997.
I/C

Dengue_Dude
13th Nov 2010, 21:40
I wonder how long before we can't wear a poppy anymore - in case it offends the Muslims . . .

Apparently the Holocaust didn't happen, so remembrance of our guys 'in a foreign field' will soon be cast aside by the PC Police (not the boys in blue - just the mis-guided do-gooders).

Still, I've actually cleaned my medals and will attend the local Memorial Service tomorrow.

While we can . . . let's do it.

gunbus
13th Nov 2010, 22:20
Same here,not my medals,but my Dads,Sword Beach,and on,unless we take a stand against PC bull their sacrifice will be wasted.

LEST WE FORGET

Tankertrashnav
14th Nov 2010, 10:28
Shame to see, once again, the RAF is the only service not represented by the royal family at the Cenotaph. With Prince William away in Afghanistan it would have been a nice touch if Prince Charles had worn RAF uniform, with the RN already well represented by his father, sister and brother.

btw Dengue Dude, many thousands of Muslims fought and died alongside us in both world wars, and in my experience many wear the poppy with pride and few are offended by it. You will be far more likely to find some non-Muslim busybody taking the position you worry about

Dengue_Dude
14th Nov 2010, 11:26
That's as maybe, perhaps they need to be a little more vocal in their support - the media could help with that of course.

What was really heartening today, the crowd was about 4 times as many as last year.

Perhaps the 'silent majority' are stirring after all.

Perhaps also I'm feeling a bit radical because all I ever hear about is concessions to a regime that pledges our destruction as a way of life - I will not accept that assertion without responding - even if the Politically Correct lobby don't approve.

I think, especially today, more people seemed to agree with my view than theirs. - Thank God for that.

The lessons are in the past - LEST WE FORGET is most appropriate.

airborne_artist
14th Nov 2010, 14:18
Most impressed by the RBL's effort at Paddington Station - there was a fellow there mid-morning Wednesday selling poppies, and on Friday there was a big stall well-stocked with stuff and well-manned, too.

I was asleep at 11.00 on the 11th I'm afraid - that's a prostatectomy and morphine for you :\

Neptunus Rex
14th Nov 2010, 17:43
There was a magnificent picture on the front page of today's Sri Lanka Sunday Times, showing a soldier at their Memorial in Colombo, on 11th November, 'Resting with Arms Reversed.'

His stature and turnout would have been more than acceptable in the Brigade of Guards. Most impressive.