View Full Version : Guilty Lunches

Cheerio
3rd Nov 2010, 13:30
Anyone else starting to fatten themselves up for Winter? What on earth drove me to go out and buy a Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodle, Star Bar and Coke for lunch? I blame the clocks going back. Damn tasty it was though. ;)
Who said the Scots choose to eat unhealthily? We are simply innocent victims of the dwindling daylight. I'd eat a sliver of greenery and drink gallons of fizzy water too if only it was warm, dry and bright.
Whats on the menu with you?

27mm
3rd Nov 2010, 13:42
Same here - I blame SAD syndrome and am tucking in to a Nutella butty (3-layered), washed down with a firkin of tea.

treadigraph
3rd Nov 2010, 14:02
A Sainsbury egg and bacon sandwich, three very small tangerines, an apple and a chunky kit kat. Now for a nice plastic cup of machine coffee.

Lonewolf_50
3rd Nov 2010, 14:02
When I am to sin prandially at noontide, I meander a few miles from the office to a local burger vendor.

Lowest cost for a platter (a half pound of beef on a bun of some sort, various flavored sauces and toppings, and a pile of sweet potato french fries), is $8.95 (US) plus tax. Typically the offering begins at > $10.00 US. It's not an everyday sort of meal.

When I want to wallow in a state of gluttonous sin, I wash it down with a draft lager or three. As I usually have to head back to work, unsweetened ice tea suffices during most of my dietary trespasses.

What can be had in this den of unadulterated culinary vice? I have tried all but the Boring, for obvious reasons.

Boring- plain burger
Boring- w/cheese
Rockefeller- spinach + artichoke + bacon + parmesan
First Date- wild mushrooms + smoked bacon + roasted garlic spread
Cold Front- cream cheese + roasted red peppers + tomato + cucumber
Dr. Pepper- smoked bacon + cheddar cheese + bbq sauce
The Hang Over- fried egg + caramelized onions + american cheese
My Boy Blue- smoked bacon + blue cheese spread
Mr. Beckham- bacon + wild mushrooms + caramelized onions + avocado + american cheese
Chronic- avacado + green chilie + jack cheese + sour cream
The Mexican- cheese enchilada + avocado + sour creamI admit that I wish they'd use Sharp Cheddar or Colby instead of "american cheese"

You can create your own by mixing and matching ...

Burger Toppings: lettuce / tomatoes / onions /pickles /grilled jalapenos / pickled jalapenos / sauteed sweet onions / green chilie / roasted red peppers / avacado / green chilie / jack cheese / sour scream / enchilada / fried egg / bacon / rockafeller sauce / wild mushrooms

This leads to such glorious burger experiences as
a 1/2 pound burger with

Grilled Jalapenos + Bacon + Sauteed sweet onions + Wild Mushrooms + Tomatoes + Lettuce + Roasted Red peppers + A fried Egg + Avacado

Yes, I got it all over myself before I was done.

angels
3rd Nov 2010, 14:09
You buggers.

I am currently on a diet and you are not helping. :mad:

Stop it. :{

wings folded
3rd Nov 2010, 14:14
Who said the Scots choose to eat unhealthily?

You could have had a good portion of haggis, tatties and neeps. And a wee dram.

That's what your ancestors did, and it clearly worked or you would not be there.

Checkboard
3rd Nov 2010, 14:18
I had poached eggs on pepper & rosemary potato rösti, and a pot of black coffee for breakfast this morning. Does that count?

wings folded
3rd Nov 2010, 14:19
Oh, and by the way, what in the name of buggery is Sharp Cheddar?

Lonewolf_50
3rd Nov 2010, 14:30
Here in the US, wings, you can get cheese with varying sharpness of flavor. I think the metric is pungency, or tanginess. The difference in taste is marked.

As far as I know, buggery has nothing to do with it, but I don't run a cheese production business. :}

For a simple explanation ... What Makes Cheddar Cheese Sharp? - Nagging Question - Top Stories - CHOW (http://www.chow.com/food-news/54300/what-makes-cheddar-cheese-sharp/)

Edited, as the first try was rather sloppy.

EDIT 2: where'd my quote go?
Marc Druart, a master cheesemaker at the Vermont Institute for Artisan Cheese (http://nutrition.uvm.edu/viac/index.cfm?pg=welcome&section=about), adds that the starter cultures, salt, and moisture content of the cheese have to be balanced for it to age properly. Each variable affects the breakdown of the fats and proteins—which form the compounds that give the cheese a sharp taste (aldehydes and alpha-keto acids) and other flavors (esters).

“As any cheesemaker will tell you, this is not an exact science,” says John Spencer, managing director of the Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company (http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/history.php) in Somerset, England. “If we were to use our exact recipe, methods, equipment, and even the same people, but change our location and source of milk, we would make a slightly different cheese.”

Checkboard
3rd Nov 2010, 14:34
A cheese in the "cheddar style" which is more acidic than many of the processed cheeses named "cheddar" in the USA.

Cheddar cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese#Cheddar-style_cheeses_in_the_USA)
In the United States of America, industrial and processed Cheddar-style cheeses come in several varieties, including mild, medium, sharp, extra sharp, New York Style, Colby/Longhorn, white, and Vermont.

Before you get the hump - only "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is a protected name - "cheddar" has become a generic.

Gas Bags
3rd Nov 2010, 14:57
I just today purchased 500 grams of leg ham sliced into two steaks (about 1/2" thick) which shall be fried first thing in the morning accompanied by two poached eggs on Vegemite toast.

I might add that it has been approximately 7-8 years since I have had REAL leg ham sliced like that (due to where I live) and then to have some vegemite as well to top it off.....Thats breakfast heaven.

If I wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs maybe the neighbours will hear me getting an early start on it!

Yuuuuuuuum.

Tigger_Too
3rd Nov 2010, 15:47
Sticky nooner. The perfect low calorie lunch!:O

wings folded
3rd Nov 2010, 15:55
Before you get the hump - only "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is a protected name - "cheddar" has become a generic

Well thank you for your explanation.

I looked up your link to Wikipropagandapedia, and discovered that in the USA Cheddar cheese called "Vermont" is permitted, even if it does not come from Vermont. Let alone Somerset.

It's a sign of the generosity of Somerset dairy farmers and cheese producers that they allow such nonsense to prevail.

If they had adopted US brand protection measures akin to MacPoisonald, they would now be reaping half the GDP of the USA and half a dozen other countries who allegedly produce Cheddar cheese.

Fortunately they just stick with making excellent cheese.

“As any cheesemaker will tell you, this is not an exact science,” says John Spencer, managing director of the Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company (http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/history.php) in Somerset, England. “If we were to use our exact recipe, methods, equipment, and even the same people, but change our location and source of milk, we would make a slightly different cheese.”

Quite.

Caboclo
3rd Nov 2010, 20:19
Right, I'm off to the Indian buffet.

Sirikit
3rd Nov 2010, 20:27
What gastronomic world is Checkboard on?

Tell me you are for real?
:p;)

rgbrock1
3rd Nov 2010, 20:29
I have sinned in preparation for the coming Winter months.

I dared put cream cheese on my bagel this morning. Normally I have my bagel a bit on the dry-assed side.

Off to the gym tonight then.

Sirikit
3rd Nov 2010, 20:31
Americans...and obesity?;)

tinpis
3rd Nov 2010, 21:07
Plate of New Zealand greenlip mussells and fresh green paw paw salad.
Well that were yesterday.
Had vegetable curry with rice fer me tea
Home made toasted bread with hot mango achar fer me brekky as I type this.

Sirikit
3rd Nov 2010, 21:08
Hey.....I know my paw paws!:p

rgbrock1
3rd Nov 2010, 21:23
Paw paws? You eat dogs, Sirikit? :p

Checkboard
3rd Nov 2010, 21:29
What gastronomic world is Checkboard on?

Tell me you are for real?
Have just pinched myself - definitely for real, existential arguments aside.

What gastronomic sin are you accusing me of? :p

Tankertrashnav
3rd Nov 2010, 21:36
I had poached eggs on pepper & rosemary potato rösti, and a pot of black coffee for breakfast this morning. Does that count?

No it doesn't - the clue's in the thread title!

Guilty lunch for me would be a fried egg and bacon sandwich (big slices off a crusty farmhouse loaf so 2 eggs and as much bacon as I could cram in.)

But I know it would never taste as good as I thought it would in anticipation. Same way chips and coffee always smell better than they taste.

Sirikit
3rd Nov 2010, 21:50
Checkboard...I swear you are my Hestor Blumenthal in PPrunesville!

You don't want to know how he cooks his chicken!;):}

You first go to France.....

Buy a chicken for £25.....

Get a tin bucket and fill it with ice.......

Place French chicken in........

:{
You're having a giraffe??????????????????????:{

lexxity
3rd Nov 2010, 22:26
Sausage, chips and curry sauce. Food of the Gods. Washed down with fizzy vimto. :ok:

27mm
4th Nov 2010, 11:35
Steak & Kidney pie in batter, followed by treacle sponge & custard, washed down with Old Peculier

Load Toad
4th Nov 2010, 11:40
Pies at The Globe pub in Hong Kong. Can't praise them enough: The Globe - Bar and Cafe (http://www.theglobe.com.hk/)

But walking through Wanchai on the way t' th' Stag for lunch I was lured into the Marks n Sparks food shoppe and was bedazzled by Scotch Eggs and Pork Pies. As the temperature in HK plummets to 19oC just had to buy some for 'ron.

Lon More
4th Nov 2010, 12:12
BL&T sandwich with real salad cream, none of this mayonnaise muck, washed down with a pint of Bulmers.

Barksdale Boy
4th Nov 2010, 14:42
LT

Looking out of my flat I can see the M&S you mention. Have to say I can't recommend the pork pies and scotch eggs. However, agree that the Globe has good pies. Also like the breadth of menu at the Flying Pan - corner of Luard and Lockhart.

Best breakfast in the world is the greasy spoon in Shepherd Market, very convenient from the RAF Club.

Lon More
4th Nov 2010, 15:03
Shepherd Market, you used to be able to get lots of other things there as well:suspect:

Checkboard
4th Nov 2010, 18:35
Best breakfast in the world is the greasy spoon in Shepherd Market,
Rubbish! Best brekkie in the world is at In Contro in South Perth, on the foreshore...
Breakfast in Perth (http://tinyurl.com/3xgs2w4)

lexxity
4th Nov 2010, 23:19
Nonsense, best brekky in the world is at the midway on the A49.

midwayhttp://www.transportcafe.co.uk/midway.html (http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/midway.html)

Ancient Observer
5th Nov 2010, 14:51
Only a few posts in to a Lunch thread, and some folk are arguing about breakfasts.

On breakfasts - try 5 star hotels in Sao Paulo. All the fats you want, and huge displays of fruit if you prefer that.

On guilty lunches. Back in 1983, working with big UK corp., who used lots of coal, lunch with CEGB, planning the 1984 miners strike.

gingernut
6th Nov 2010, 00:04
A good 'eld Rusholme Kebab:D