PDA

View Full Version : Doing theory training in advance?

davebowyer
3rd Nov 2010, 03:32
Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster - as I am finally about to start my PPL training, after waiting many years for time, funds and opportunity to present themselves. :O

My question is: I'm not starting the training until March 2011, but I've read the PPL theory twice now and am nailing the sample BAK and PPL exams. Does anyone know if it's possible to do the theory exams in advance and just get them out of the way, even before you set foot in an aircraft?

mustman
3rd Nov 2010, 04:09
Do it as you are doing your flying or even just before you start. If you do it now you risk forgetting things.

john_tullamarine
3rd Nov 2010, 04:19
As a contrary view, and if the present rules permit, do it now.

If you have put the flying money aside and intend to train solidly, you run the risk of having the exams become the critical path.

The "forget" thing is addressed by progressive revision during the flying training.

davebowyer
3rd Nov 2010, 04:33
Thanks for the feedback. I certainly intend to be revising as I'm doing the practical.

So ... is this a matter for discussion with my flying school, or can you do the exams independently?

ReverseFlight
3rd Nov 2010, 06:56
I don't understand why you think your flying school might not be supportive of your idea.

A long time ago I was in a similar situation and got my BAK done at my training school before I took my first ever flight. When the school found out the only question I got wrong was because of an error in the printed answer sheet, they even wrote to the publishers and my examiner awarded me the mark for that question. Such should be the support from your flight school.

p.s. I also completed my CPL theory before my first lesson and not having to bother about theory exams afterwards was the best decision in my training.

The Green Goblin
3rd Nov 2010, 07:08
You won't be able to sit the PPL exam until you have passed the BAK exam. You won't be able to do the BAK exam until (from memory) you have done the pre solo, radio operators licence exam etc etc. To sit those exams you will need to be ready for your first solo. The flying school generally won't run the BAK exam until you are ready for a pre GFPT check.

May have changed, but that is how I remember it.

ConfigFull
3rd Nov 2010, 07:32
If you haven't got an ASIC/AVID, SPL and medical yet then that's your first step! In the time it takes to get back to you you'll have your ATPLs done!

glenb
3rd Nov 2010, 08:50
the best place to get this sort of information is from your flying school. If you do the PPL theory exam before commencing the nav training you will make yourself ineligible for the 150 hour syllabus. That means onto a 200 hour CPL (probably another $10,000) and the tax department ruling is GST on the 200 hour syllabus. Another $5000 thankyou very much.

This is just one of a number of requirements. Sit down with the CFI at your chosen school and make sure they tailor a program that meets all the requirements.

Even if you have no intention of going on to a CPL you may as well leave the option open.

The Green Goblin
3rd Nov 2010, 09:08
Yeah I remember that too Glenb, I had to do my first Nav before I could sit my PPL exam.

Ozzie Mozzie
4th Nov 2010, 00:22
my understanding of it was that you have to 'demonstrate gfpt competancies' before sitting the commercial exams and then have 5 hrs cross country solo before doing air law, navigation and flight planning

davebowyer
15th Nov 2010, 00:28
Appreciate everyone's helpful advice!

I will definitely be discussing this in detail with my flying school.

And I have indeed got the medical certificate/SPL/ASIC under way ... hopefully well in advance of my March 2011 flying timeframe