PDA

View Full Version : Airline cadetship vs Traditional methods

cantfigureitout
2nd Nov 2010, 23:45
Hello,

I know it has become a point of irritation amongst some of you, but unfortunately I do feel that it is necessary to add a disclaimer per se. I am at a cross roads in my life and am looking for honest comments about your own experiences and also guidance and advice that I may take with a grain of salt.

A year ago I was scrubbed from 2FTS (pilot training RAAF) I have approx 200 hours with minimal solo time with 30 IF hours. I took a year off to commence my Masters in Aviation Industry Management (as I have my bachelor in Technology Aviation). I have spent the last year saving everything that I made with the intention of completing my CPL, ATPL subjects and my MEICR.

I have been looking in detail to the J* cadet scheme and have read through the treads that contain information on this topic. I was also flown across to HK this time last year for an interview with Cathay pacific. I eventually decided to decline due to the requirement to relocate for 6 years and wish to remain in Australia.

I am essentially looking for information of peoples own experience and the way that they made their way into the airlines.

Also one slightly unrelated question, how old is to old to be looking at making pathways into the airlines? I am 22 and I believe cursed with my generation’s fears that I am already too old with the airlines opening up cadetships to 18 year old and my military back ground where they want you as young as possible.

Any constructive information would be greatly appreciated, also feel free to PM me.

Thank you in advance.

tail wheel
3rd Nov 2010, 00:03
Not another cadetship thread......... :sad:

cantfigureitout
3rd Nov 2010, 00:14
Ha, I know I know, done to death and everyone is sick of it, i'm more interested in hearing about peoples personal experience and a comparison of the different avenues. Also any comments about relocating up north and the opportunites that are avalible are would be much appreciated.

Piano Man
3rd Nov 2010, 02:41
I was also flown across to HK this time last year for an interview with Cathay pacific. I eventually decided to decline due to the requirement to relocate for 6 years and wish to remain in Australia.

I know HK is not for everyone, but surely being a Commercial Pilot in Australia involves some type of relocation?

And surely the Cathay scheme would be a better bet than the Jetstar one?

Not trying to offend by the way, just my own thoughts.

cantfigureitout
3rd Nov 2010, 03:06
Yeah I totally agree and I am starting to lean away from the cadet scheme in general, im more than willing to relocate but i would prefer to do it within Australia and if I can find a way to maybe fly up north to get up hours then I am willing to make the move up North for a while.

bushy
3rd Nov 2010, 03:07
You probably did not salute the right people. Many a good pilot has been scrubbed by the military.
Most pilots have to be nomads.
Don't go into GA unless you want to stay and contribute. There are too many "bitching Berthas" already. Most of Australia depends on small aircraft and experienced, dedicated pilots are necessary for it to function properly.

Mr. Hat
3rd Nov 2010, 03:16
Easier to go the cadet way if you can get it. Don't feel like you have to justify not having slept in the car or lived on baked beans for years on end.

I must say I'm amazed you've knocked back Cathay at 22 years of age. Jesus! Cathay vs Jetstar its like the two most opposite jobs in the world.

waren9
3rd Nov 2010, 03:29
At 22, your age is the least of your concerns. It will not be a factor whatever you decide to do from here.

I didn't have a CPL until I was nearly 24.

bushy
3rd Nov 2010, 04:11
You probably did not salute the right people. Many a good pilot has been scrubbed by the military.
Don't go into GA unless you want to stay and contribute. There are too many "bitching Berthas" already. Most of Australia depends on small aircraft and experienced, dedicated pilots are necessary for it to function properly.

The Green Goblin
3rd Nov 2010, 04:19

Bushy,

I respect your opinion most of the time, however your constant moaning about GA for dedicated Pilots, not hour builders for the airlines is getting kind of boring.

I understand a few would like to make it a career and that is entirely their choice. I went into the industry thinking I would not care if I never flew anything bigger than a Cheiftain or if I were really really lucky, a Metro. After flying a myriad of piston twins, I could not wait to get out. That was not for lack of enjoyment or boredom, it was the most enjoyable flying I have done (especially the single engine piston flying). While the aeroplanes (especially the 58) are enjoyable to fly,they are old, there is no support, the ongoing training is non existent apart from box ticking at your annual MECIR renewal, and eventually you will probably kill yourself if you continue to fly them.

The only way to grow as a Pilot is to fly bigger aircraft with more experienced Pilots under stricter SOPs and more support. I wish I knew what I knew now back then, as I would have been a much safer Pilot.

As for pay and conditions in GA, well if they were improved and the aeroplanes were modernised then it would be a very attractive option.

cantfigureitout
3rd Nov 2010, 09:23
So is there general ill will towards cadet graduates due to them taking the cheaper route and jealously for them being accepted to take the ‘easy’ path or is more directed towards the lower experience levels and possibly less diverse inferior skill sets?

The Green Goblin
3rd Nov 2010, 09:37
Would you want to babysit someone as a Captain? Have to watch everything they did as they tried to kill you at every opportunity?

If you're getting paid a checkies wage, then sure that's part of the job. If you're a line Captain then you should not be exposed.

cadetships in Australia are half arsed. A real cadetship is fully funded by the company and is not used to drag the terms and conditions down of experienced Pilots.

bushy
3rd Nov 2010, 09:45
gg
You are right. We need experienced pilots in aviation. And that includes GA.

cantfigureitout
3rd Nov 2010, 09:46
That makes a lot of sense, has anyone actually completed the J* cadetship in Australia?

tinpis
3rd Nov 2010, 19:54
Is living in Honkers real crook these days?
Thing about flying in Oz, you ll get bored ****less. Spend all day in the bloody aeroplane and end up in...Australia.
Go back to Cathay.

Mr. Hat
4th Nov 2010, 03:41
I doubt CX will offer a second chance tinpis.

Stallone
5th Nov 2010, 10:30
amazing, you actually rejected Cathay when they gave you the chance..