PDA

View Full Version : Language lesson for Anglo/French forces

LFFC
2nd Nov 2010, 21:35
The Guardian have published a useful language guide.

Language lesson for Anglo/French forces - 2 Nov 10 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/02/language-lesson-anglo-french-forces)

I particularly like, "Singes mangeurs de fromage qui se rendent au premier coup de feu".

Maybe PPRuNers might be able to add a few other useful phrases. :E

My addition would be the RN's new cocktail - "Sous-marin échoué sur les rochers"

Grimweasel
2nd Nov 2010, 21:58
Tut tut - one should concentrate on one's own tongue first...

The Guardian HAS, not have.....:(

Squirrel 41
2nd Nov 2010, 21:59
Small genius, LFFC...

"Merde, je t'ai dit de ne pas toucher au putain de bouton rouge!"

If only!

I suppose for the sous-marin types out there we should ask for:

"Please don't take any photos of my propulsor when I stick my submarines' arse on a sandbank 400m from shore."

and

"Passing on the left allows SSBNs to avoid expensive collisions that exceed budgetary limits."

Could come in handy!

S41

Union Jack
2nd Nov 2010, 23:36
Just to get it over and done with, especially for the benefit of light blue linguists who have never had an accident, seem to know all about how to handle ships and submarines in confined waters, and have curious ideas about what sailors do in their spare time:

"A l'eau - c'est l'heure"

Once they have mastered that, they can move on to appreciate that they now have to learn to:

"Pas d'elle yeux Rhone que nous"!

Jack (aka Jacques)

PS Je sais, je sais - we'll actually have to share it!:ok:

FFP
2nd Nov 2010, 23:54
Endless fun to be had with this one.....

Avez-vous encore les plans des bunkers vous avez construit pour les Irakiens? :E

Out Of Trim
3rd Nov 2010, 00:53
Nous sommes des singes manger du fromage et nous tenons à rendre!

The new phrase book should include this; as the British Army must learn this off by heart as their french colleagues will be muttering this when stressed. :}

VinRouge
3rd Nov 2010, 00:57
I think this is going to become the quintessential youtube clip for all those overseas tours that are coming up:

YouTube - French Taunting - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs)

:ok:

As long as the wine and cheese is forthcoming, sign me up!

NutLoose
3rd Nov 2010, 01:07
Does Avea'vous un cuppa count?

Navaleye
3rd Nov 2010, 01:26
You never when when something might come in handy:

"je suis un grand camion rouge"

Wensleydale
3rd Nov 2010, 09:31
I know that I've posted this many months ago on a previous thread, but just in case someone missed it first time round...... The story of origin of the Toast of the French Navy (handy for Trafalgar Night speaches) may prove handy within the new cooperation between our Navies.

Every schoolboy knows the famous signal flown by Admiral Lord Nelson prior to the Battle of Trafalgar: "England expects this day that every man will do his duty". However, this was not the signal that he intended to send - he asked his signals officer to send "England confides...". This is because Pophams Signal Code that was used to send the mesage did not have a 3 figure group for "confides" and every letter would have to be sent individually taking up valuable time. The signals officer asked whether he could send "expects" which did have a code, and Nelson agreed.

What is even less known is that Admiral Villeneuve in charge of the Franco-Hispanic Fleet also wished to send an encouraging message to his ships prior to the battle. His message should have read "On the oceans, this is the hour of our destiny". However, like Nelson, the French signals officer could not find the correct flags (missing amongst all the white flags in the hold perhaps?). Therefore, instead of flying the flag for "on the ocean", he could only raise the flag for leaving port with the meaning "To the Water" which was similar to the RN Blue Peter flag.

Unfortunately, as the flags were being run up, the first shot from HMS Victory took off the top of the French Flagship's rigging and the French Fleet went into battle under the message "To the water. This is the hour". This caused confusion for the French, but years later as the story of the original message become known, the French Navy took the message as their battle cry in honour of the seamen who lost their lives in the battle.

If you walk around French dockyards at night, you will hear the phrase "To the water: this is the hour" being shouted between the serving matelots. It has become a badge of honour and has been adopted by Navies around the world.

So I give you the Toast of the French Navy.... in its original language of course...

"A l' eau, c' est l' heure".

I'll get my coat......

XV410
3rd Nov 2010, 09:49
The Adour Engine is F:mad:ed: Le Adour Engine is F:mad:d.

teeteringhead
3rd Nov 2010, 09:55
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01752/0311-MATT-web_1752516a.jpg

Willard Whyte
3rd Nov 2010, 10:05
S*P*E*A*K S*L*O*W*L*Y A*N*D L*O*U*D*L*Y

They'll soon get the message don'tcha know.

Rather be Gardening
3rd Nov 2010, 10:12
We don't want to integrate too far ....

"Ah bonjour, Emma. Comment ca va? Votre uniform, c'est tres.....um ...... j'ai forgotten le mot ....utilitaire, n'est-ce pas? Mon uniform? Ah, cette little chose, il est designed by Yves St Laurent, naturellement. Et votre? Poundstretcher? Vous est having a laugh..... non? Vraiment. Peut-etre it will shrink in le washing machine, vous connais, comme le jeans. Zut alors, is that le temps? 'Scusez-moi, j'ai un appointement avec mon styliste, les ongles need un autre coat de 'Revolution Rouge'......"

ORAC
3rd Nov 2010, 10:29
Coup de grace - A lawn mower.

D'accord - a strimmer.

La deviation pour chauffeur de camion - My driver likes camels.

Moi aussi - I am an Australian.

Pas de deux? - Father of twins?

Mange tout - You're pretty mangy yourself.

Pain prune - I cut myself with the secateurs.

Chaussee deformer? - Are you a contortionist?

Parke le char - My tea is cold.

Suivez la piste - Follow that drunk!

La grande fromage - a VIP.

TBM-Legend
3rd Nov 2010, 11:26
HMS Waterloo
HMS Agincourt
HMS Trafalgar
HMS Napoleon