PDA

View Full Version : For sale/wanted/job ads

remoak
2nd Nov 2010, 10:02
If we allowed adverts - sale, wanted, jobs etc - we may as well rename the site EBAY! :ugh:

I locked your thread but left it in the forum so you can contact those who posted replies.

Can you imagine what PPRuNe would become if you had to search through a plethora of "for sale" and "wanted" adverts to find aviation interest threads?

There is plenty of internet sites specifically for wanted and for sale adverts. PPRuNe is not one of them.Many, many sites I frequent - mainly sites for musicians, and motorcycle and performance car enthusiasts - have very useful for sale/wanted/job sections. In fact, not one of the sites I frequent DOESN'T have them.

In the past, the excuse for not doing so on PPRuNe was a simple commercial one - Danny wanted people to pay for advertising, If they weren't willing to pay, then bugger off, was pretty much the oft-repeated line. Probably find plenty of examples if you could be bothered to search the archives.

However, now that the forum is commercially owned and run (albeit with help from a bunch of unpaid Mods), there might be scope for suggesting that the increase in site traffic would be worth the small effort required to moderate it.

It would very definitely be an asset to the forum and very useful to PPRuNe's members.

To say that it would make PPRuNe like Ebay is drawing a very long bow indeed.

mustman
2nd Nov 2010, 10:36
I can see how it could clog the forums. However more traffic to the site would bring increased views/clicks of banner ads. I hardly see someone wanting to sell a gps taking out a banner ad for it.

Maybe DG&P For Sale/Jobs??

havick
2nd Nov 2010, 10:37
I bought my Jepps through someone who mentioned they had a set for sale on here about 3 - 4 years ago. I think that it is essential to allow this sort of thing to happen, of course within reason. Certainly it commercial ventures shouldn't be allowed to advertise for free on here, but for the genuine pilots wanting to offload or buy gear I don't see a problem.

As remoak has mentioned, most other forums have a section for this which in itself creates much site traffic.

das Uber Soldat
2nd Nov 2010, 11:01
If it was a separate section it wouldn't be bad.

Screw having for sale crap amongst the normal threads and having to wade through it all to find the quality however.

I use the expression 'quality' in its most ironic form btw.

remoak
2nd Nov 2010, 11:06
In fact, thinking about it a bit more, there are several forums I only visit to browse the "For Sale" ads.

Of course it would have to be individuals only and no "spamming" with zillions of ads, but most other forums manage that quite easily.

Of course it would need it's own section, If space is an issue we could always ditch some of the more pointless sections like "spotters", or (cough) Jet Blast... :}

Howard Hughes
5th Nov 2010, 10:08
Charge them a small fee ($1-10) for placing a classified ad!:ok:

frigatebird
5th Nov 2010, 10:47
If space is an issue we could always ditch some of the more pointless sections like "spotters", or (cough) Jet Blast... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Wwhhaaattt.... take away the Friday Jokes..?? and other entertaining witty posts - for more gripeing.. :{

Better to delete half of remoaks contributions to keep the available space..!

Peter Fanelli
5th Nov 2010, 11:27
Whilst I agree that many threads in jetblast meet the requirements for that label so revered by the moderators......."waste of bandwidth"......... such as

Limerick Thread
Three Word Thursday
Last two letters start the next word
Really really boring and useless snippets of information
Finish the sentence thread
The person below me
Formula 1

To abolish the likes of JetBlast and spotters corner would only serve to encourage hoardes of whinging poms to infiltrate other forums such as DG&P.
It would be like trying to stop a mouse plague by throwing a blackboard duster at them, sure they'll run away but they'll just keep popping up somewhere else.

tinpis
5th Nov 2010, 21:31
Do not invoke the wrath of The Limerick Masters.

geeup
7th Nov 2010, 07:38
I agree let there be a For sale/wanted/jobs ad
Or at least trial it?

remoak
7th Nov 2010, 08:41
Better to delete half of remoaks contributions to keep the available space..!

This from the fellow that started a thread to whinge about landing fees? :rolleyes:

Anyway, space isn't the issue, avarice is.

frigatebird
7th Nov 2010, 20:26
Now Then....:=
Be Good
That was a NOBLE Cause.. AIRPORT ACCESS FOR ALL :ok:

remoak
7th Nov 2010, 20:56
Ok I grant you that airport access IS a noble cause.

But then, so is whatever crusade I'm on this week... :D:D:}:}

Much Ado
8th Nov 2010, 03:53
Pprune is no longer owned by Danny but by, I believe, a US equity fund or something like that. So paid advertising is welcome but 'free to air' is not.

Much Ado

remoak
8th Nov 2010, 06:13
No it's owned by Internet Brands (INET) which is a public company. As you say, Danny sold it a few years ago.

It always amuses me that you guys continue to moderate it for nothing. You are basically working for free for a US public company. Well, maybe they pay you now, I wouldn't really know... :}

A smart internet company would get that a key way to drive traffic to your site is to offer free advertising to individuals. Internet Brands do, apparently realise this, because other brands they own have free advertising for individuals - for example, Acura Forums and Hummer forums, to name but two INET-owned forums, both have private classified ads. In fact, most of their forum brands do.

So I'm guessing that it's less about the forum owner, and more about the forum administration (ie the UK guys) not wanting to be arsed to set it up.

But then, they are working for a US company for free, so... :D:D:D

Jabawocky
8th Nov 2010, 06:51
For Sale

1 x remoak

Retro model, not Vintage yet, frequently abused, and only taken seriously on Sundays!

Willing to accept the lowest bidders offer.:}

No Refunds....he is a Kiwi! :E

remoak
8th Nov 2010, 07:01
Careful... I might come to wombat-land and raise the IQ of the whole country... :}:}:}

Ah no just realised... I don't have a criminal record, I'd never get in... :=:=:=

bushy
8th Nov 2010, 08:09
What about letting ech pruner advertise something for sale on two occasions every year?

framer
8th Nov 2010, 09:04
Hey yeah! Or we could allocate each Pruner a number of ads per annum based on how much they have contributed to the industry, ie add the total number of posts they've made on this site to their total flying hours, devide by 2 and then rank everyone from highest to lowest.It will be like a neat 'club seniorority list'. The UK mods can allocate the appropriate number of adds ....it's simple really, why do you guys make things so hard for yourselves?