PDA

View Full Version : Time to get return to flying after a 6 weeks non-weight bearing operation on ankle?

Tony Farrinho
1st Nov 2010, 17:12
Hi all.

Six weeks ago i had an operation on my damaged right ankle. The full description of the operation was:

An ankle arthroscopy to remove an Osteochondral Defect of the Talus, followed by micro fracturing (drilling).

Today i saw my orthopaedic surgeon after 6 weeks of non weight bearing on crutches. He said i should have the usual physio to build up my leg muscles and strengthen my ankle generally. Having spoken to both the physio and surgeon they gave me estimates of between 2-8 weeks until i should return to work. However as our job is slightly unusual ( and we have the CAA doctors to answer to aswell) can any AMEs out there ( or anyone who has non weight beared for 6 weeks) tell me roughly how long it will be before i am likely to return to flying. I am out of recency and therefore will need to do my LPC before flying and just need to get some idea of time scales involved ( so i can cram revise for the LPC!!).

I know it's not an exact science and that everybody is slightly different but any AMEs' advise or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

homonculus
3rd Nov 2010, 19:50
You need to not only be weight bearing but to be able to apply full force onto your foot with no discomfort. Mobility of the nakle also needs to be full. This takes a variable time depending on the amount of bone work undertaken, the rate of healingg (age, nutrition, smoking etc etc) and your compliance with phtsion.

Like so much of medicine it is variable but takes a lot longer than everyone assumes even without the CAA

Sorry