PDA

View Full Version : Initial IR

Jay Bo
31st Oct 2010, 20:22
Most schools take 4-5 weeks to do an initial IR. Why does it take so long? Can it be done in 2 weeks or is it because the workload is too high in the beginning stages of learning that it is best spread out over a a month.

thanks

Jabawocky
31st Oct 2010, 21:51
It can, but if you have a few students and all the theory stuff to do for the IREX and do all the flying and night stuff........its a pretty heavy two weeks ..... I know the hard way.

3 Weeks is a better pace and if its a class of 3 or 4 its bound to take longer.

MakeItHappenCaptain
31st Oct 2010, 23:07
The concentration required to keep an effective scan going, combined with navigation and radio will leave you a bit drained. Don't expect to be able to keep up with five hours flying a day. Throw in the other aspects of aircraft and instructor availability and you see where the time goes.

Old Akro
1st Nov 2010, 02:37
Why is fast desirable? The exam part is just a hurdle, but the flying part I did over a number of weeks. I wanted to do a flight, then reflect on it overnight. I wanted a gap between flights to really test my memory on the next flight and make the lessons indelible. And above all, I tried to do as much training as possible in real clouds and doing it over a few weeks increases the chance of that. As the Captain suggests, if you're doing the training diligently there will be more than one day when you'll come back needing to change shirts. Single pilot IFR is a statistically dangerous thing. I want to err on the side of more training, not less.

tinpis
1st Nov 2010, 04:06
Do EVERYTHING you can on the ground. Do NOT get in the plane expecting to learn something, save yer money.