PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck door security camera

PT6A
31st Oct 2010, 08:47
Is a flight deck door security camera required?

I have this information from the SAFA checklist: -

From 1 November 2003, all passenger-carrying aeroplanes of a maximum certificated take-off mass in excess of 45 500 kg or with a passenger seating capacity greater than 60 shall be equipped with an approved flight
crew compartment door that is designed to resist penetration by small arms fire and grenade shrapnel, and to resist forcible intrusions by unauthorized persons. This door shall be capable of being locked and unlocked from either pilot's station.

In all aeroplanes which are equipped with a flight crew compartment door in accordance with 13.2.2:
b) means shall be provided for monitoring from either pilot's station the entire door area outside the flight crew compartment to identify persons requesting entry and to detect suspicious behaviour or potential threat.

Now at my present company, we have the door but no camera system.

The only way to view the door entry area would be to get up out of the seat and use the viewing hole.

Is this legal? Are any other operators facing this problem of the door but no viewing system?

PT6A

Nightrider
31st Oct 2010, 21:08
This all depends on the STC approval for the particular type. There are doors which work based on an electrical system, others work with a mechanical system which are difficult to reach from a pilots seat and need a person to either push the door shut or pull it to lock; most retro-fitted systems have just a viewing system as you describe.

Mr @ Spotty M
31st Oct 2010, 21:32
My understanding is that an AD was planned for installation of the cameras, which is why our company started to install them. I believe the powers at be then decided it was not necessary and hence no AD issued.

PT6A
1st Nov 2010, 02:13
The system in question on our aircraft is an electronic lock and the switch is indeed available to both crew members. But in the SAFA checklist they are very specific about the viewing needs, which leads me to think our setup is not in compliance despite the aircraft being brand new. Worthy of note the company asked for the camera to be removed as a cost saving :(

PT6A

Alpine Flyer
1st Nov 2010, 23:37
The Austrian CAA also approves operations with a "peephole only". There are Dash 8-400s operating in Austria that came with flight deck entrance surveillance cameras installed just to have the systems disabled in order not to have to stock spares.

This requires one pilot to get up and check the peephole whenever the cabin crew wants to enter the flight deck and one cabin attendant to stay on the flight deck when a pilot takes a leak in order to check the identity of the returning pilot.

Another goodie:

As the electric door lock fails open in case of loss of AC the checklist actually calls for the door to be locked manually (making it impossible to open from the outside). As if one would not have enough other problems after losing all generated power. Getting out of my seat to lock the door just to be locked up in case of a botched landing wouldn't be foremost on my mind under these circumstances.....

grounded27
2nd Nov 2010, 02:47
In all aeroplanes which are equipped with a flight crew compartment door in accordance with 13.2.2:
b) means shall be provided for monitoring from either pilot's station the entire door area outside the flight crew compartment to identify persons requesting entry and to detect suspicious behaviour or potential threat.

What is the definition of a pilot's station, cockpit or flight deck are clear definitions. Clearly, though not convieniant one member of the flight crew can get up and look through a peep hole. Granted the "either pilots station" part is what you are cherry picking and arguable but arguably one can get up and look based on intnl standards.

Checkboard
2nd Nov 2010, 10:53
As the electric door lock fails open in case of loss of AC the checklist actually calls for the door to be locked manually (making it impossible to open from the outside). As if one would not have enough other problems after losing all generated power. Getting out of my seat to lock the door just to be locked up in case of a botched landing wouldn't be foremost on my mind under these circumstances.....
This situation would only arise with loss of all generator power, which makes it an emergency situation, and the commander may deviate from any procedure during an emergency in the interests of safety. I'd leave the door unlocked.

grounded27
3rd Nov 2010, 01:30
and the commander may deviate from any procedure during an emergency in the interests of safety

Hah, here in the US it would be passing the F/O a loaded gun to secure then monitor the manual security door lock.