PDA

View Full Version : Is Skype blocked again in UAE?

falcon10
30th Oct 2010, 03:37
Have not been able to skype PC-PC in about a week in DXB. Did they finally block skype altogether?

kotakota
30th Oct 2010, 05:04
Get a VPN ..no problem .

Blown Seal
30th Oct 2010, 06:27
I have the same problem, they are obviously playing funny buggers. As Kotakota said time for a vpn.

captainsmiffy
30th Oct 2010, 06:44
Just did a test call to skype - no problems and without using the VPN either! Rumuor squashed!

Tempsford
30th Oct 2010, 06:54
Its not a rumour - depends where you live. If you don't have a VPN best to get one sooner rather than later.

Payscale
30th Oct 2010, 06:57
I use MAC. Who can direct me to info on how to set one up.
Thanks

gipsy moth
30th Oct 2010, 06:57
I have the same problem as well calling from PC to PC for the last few weeks. I can start the call but the quality is so poor that is impossible to talk, even without video.
I just moved to this new place I don't know if it is a poor connection problem, more feedback would be very welcome.

Mistah Kurtz
30th Oct 2010, 07:33
Are you with DU? In which case this is nothing to do with VPN but internet quality issues. DU are messing around with their servers whilst upgrading their network and this is having a huge impact on VOIP and streaming applications. If you run a quality test you may well find the amount of "Jitter" is at an an unacceptable level for VOIP to work. A call to DU might resolve some of the quality issues

Defenestrator
30th Oct 2010, 09:16
Try this.

AnchorFree (http://www.anchorfree.com/)

D:ok:

Juliet-Echo
30th Oct 2010, 12:41
I think they've definitely blocked it this time. It was working okay with Hotspot but even that seems to be playing up now. Anybody know of another VoIP provider that is not yet blocked in the UAE?

BeCareful
30th Oct 2010, 14:19
They're actually being very devious...

They're not outright banning it because you can go to skype.com. It will even put the initial page (without the VPN) in Arabic and even allow you to download and install the software.

The initial page will take forever to load... (16 Mbps connection?? and every other page is blazing but Skype is slow??). Then try downloading the software, same thing as well... it will take FOREVER to the point I'd just cancel it.

I'd fire up my VPN, and low and behold... fires right up, software starts downloading at appropriate speed, etc.

Now, I fire up Skype (without VPN) and try PC-to-PC connection, but for kicks and grins, I show active technical log right next to the call. What do I see? Send Packet Loss starts at 0.0% and within 5-10 seconds, it goes to 100% and that's when you can't hear squat... then you ultimately end up with Connection Lost message.

Now... again, fire up the trusty VPN - miraculously, Skype again works like it's supposed to.

See, if they outright ban Skype, they know people will just have VPN's and they lose.

If they allow you to use Skype, but throw in all kinds of sabotage into Skype VoIP like this deal with Sending Packets, if you don't know much about technology, you'll get frustrated and think it doesn't work, and you'll pick up the phone and dial your home country and get conveniently billed by Du and Etisalat at their insane rates.

FJCruiser
31st Oct 2010, 05:54
From time to time you need to upgrade your skype software. To do this you need a VPN to access the skype website. And please do not mention VPN names on a public forum.

jdoe
31st Oct 2010, 08:15
I have a trusty UK VPN (paid). It works well on Windows, but although connects on MAC, does not work as a bypass anymore.
Anyone else having issues on MAC?
:confused:

CEP
31st Oct 2010, 11:41
Nope. Use a paid US based VPN, no hassles at all on my MAC

FJCruiser
2nd Nov 2010, 04:14
jdoe, I have a paid for VPN and use tunnelblick to connect on MAC and no other software to connect on Windows. I received some very good support from VPN provider as I was having trouble too. using remote access they were able to set it up properly on both Windows and MAC.It works wonders now!

HTH