PDA

View Full Version : Gum Infection

jamesIST
29th Oct 2010, 14:21
Hi guys, I have managed to get a gum infection around my wisdom tooth. I have been to the dentist and they advise i have it taken out. In the meantime I'm on very strong painkillers and antibiotics. I'm have been off work for a few days. I was wondering when it would be safe to return flying. . Presumably the medication would have a negative effect on performance.

Regards

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Oct 2010, 14:42
I used to suffer with those problems and still have my wisdom teeth. My dentist prescribed very hot salt water - as hot as I could bare it - and rinse the tooth many times, several times a day. It used to do the trick within a day or so and I never had antibiotics. Give it a whirl..

gingernut
30th Oct 2010, 20:37
Antibiotics per se are unlikely to affect your ability to fly a plane, unless you have a massive allergic reaction (very unlikely) or feel the need to open the cockpit door and visit the latrines (very likely).

"Strong" painkillers are more likely to make you sluggish.

Codeine based products are most likely to affect performance, as the pain eases, NSAID's and paracetamol are very effective, (and likely to be more safe).

Chat with your AME:)

In the long term, the decision to remove the offending tooth will be one best taken with your dentist. From my experience, dentists tend to perform more quackery than doctors, check out NICE, I think they wrote something about this problem a few years ago.

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Nov 2010, 12:06
A general guide would be if it's serious enough for antibiotics you probably shouldn't be flying. More seriously, the painkillers, especially if strong are very likely to affect your alertness.

This forum is not the right place to seek fly/no-fly advice. You ALWAYS need to ask your AME in such cases. Please don't fly until you've been cleared to do so by him.

Loose rivets
3rd Nov 2010, 18:57
Is it still inflamed?

lisarojer
16th Nov 2010, 04:55
i have to face the same problem but my dentist had suggested to wash with salt water
....antibiotic and painkillers have some effect on body may cause some problem..u have to consult with doctor....
Internet Bank (http://www.chinesebanker.com/category/banks)