PDA

View Full Version : FFS vs FTD

bucket183
29th Oct 2010, 08:56
Can anyone point me in the right area regarding flight training on a Full Flight Sim (full motion) vs Fixed Training Device. In particular I am interested in the restrictions imposed on FTD for multi-engine initial training.
I really can't find any limitations when looking at FAA 61.4 or 61.65 or any CASA (Australia) requirements.

Thoughts??

If there are no restrictions why would company's "fork out" loads of money for a FFS??

Mad (Flt) Scientist
29th Oct 2010, 16:24
61.4 says the device must be approved for the specific training. One route is that the FTDs don't get approved for certain training, hence an FFS is required (or the aircraft, of course)

The key is in 61.64

a) Use of a flight simulator for the airplane rating. If an applicant uses a flight simulator for training or the practical test for an airplane category, class, or type rating—

(b) Use of a flight training device for the airplane rating. If an applicant uses a flight training device for training for the airplane category, class, or type rating, the applicant must meet the requirements of paragraph (a)(2), (a)(3) or (a)(4) of this section, and the flight training device—

(My emphasis)

In other words, you can TRAIN on an FTD but you can't do the practical test on an FTD - only FFS or aircraft is allowed.