PDA

View Full Version : French Squirrel missing in Antarctica

John Eacott
29th Oct 2010, 02:30
Reports just in of a French owned and operated Squirrel missing with 4 persons on board: operating from L'Astrolabe 140nm to Dumont D'Urville. The second Squirrel is grounded due to weather, no contact yet with the missing aircraft except from the tracking signal :(

Fun Police
29th Oct 2010, 03:32
tracking signal? not an ELT? any idea what kind of signal it is?
thanks
fp

John Eacott
29th Oct 2010, 03:51
One report I have was via AMSA which has a 406 beacon signal, the other report is that Spidertracks (http://www.spidertracks.com/Home.mvc) was tracking the helicopter. Apparently L'Astrolabe has a machinery problem and is stuck in the ice, another icebreaker has been called and an air search is being organised.

That's all I know at the moment :sad:

perfrej
29th Oct 2010, 07:07
John,

Are they operating as far as 140nm from the ship? That sounds odd (unless it's an AS355).

Do you know what they're doing there so late in the season or, for that matter, which ice breaker that has responded?

/per

John Eacott
29th Oct 2010, 07:58
John,

Are they operating as far as 140nm from the ship? That sounds odd (unless it's an AS355).

Do you know what they're doing there so late in the season or, for that matter, which ice breaker that has responded?

/per

There is a news item here: (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/french-helicopter-missing-in-antarctica/story-e6frfku0-1225945201265)

A HELICOPTER carrying four people working with a French research station has disappeared in bad weather in Antarctica after sending a distress beacon, French authorities say.

It had taken off from a ship, the Astrolabe, which works out of Hobart helping to resupply the Dumont d'Urville station and rotate its staff through Australia.

The missing helicopter was carrying the pilot, a mechanic and two staff from the French Polar Institute Paul-Emile Victor. The beacon was sent from an ice field about 60 nautical miles from the Dumont-d'Urville station in the French Southern and Antarctic Lands, the territory's administration said.

Deteriorating weather forced back a second helicopter sent to the area to search for the missing chopper and its passengers, but the operation would resume in the daylight, depending on the conditions, it said.

"Taking into account that radio contact cannot be established because of the bad weather and the reach of the radio frequency (VHF) being limited to the ground, there is no news about the four people on board," the statement said.

The ship is situated off the edge of the ice field, about 370 kilometres from Australia, and the distress beacon was about 150 nautical miles from the vessel, the statement said.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority was notified shortly after 9pm (AEDT) on Thursday, and has been co-ordinating the search efforts since.

AMSA spokeswoman Tracey Jiggins said a RAAF jet would be sent to the area to look for the crew this evening, after a fruitless effort by a US Air Force jet this morning.

"That aircraft was overhead for about an hour," Ms Jiggins told AAP.

"They were unable to make any communication with the helicopter."

Australia's Antarctic research vessel the Aurora Australis has been diverted but is still at least four days away, while the Astrolabe is ice-locked, Ms Jiggins said.

Weather conditions are hampering a search made already difficult because of the remote location, she said.

"There's no possibility of any helicopters flying today, so our primary aim is to establish communications with the helicopter," Ms Jiggins said.

"We want to find out what sort of condition they're in and if they're okay.

"The last radar tracking of the helicopter had it flying low and slow, so we're hopeful that means the weather was just coming in they just landed because they couldn't see.

"But until we can establish communications with them, we just don't know."

I am going on earlier reports which had the transit as ~140nm: the AS350B2 or B3's are on their first season supporting IPEV, just reporting what has been advised to me as an interested party! The trip is the first of the season, re-supplying the base after the winter season and taking in the 'summer' personnel.

gafa1
29th Oct 2010, 09:14
John,
I know it's not your fault, but Antarctica is a little further than 370 Kilometres from Australia, otherwise every man and his kangaroos would be there.
Also would have thought that you would be upto play with who has the contract and what machines, they are not AS350B2's, :eek:
kinda wouldn't be jumping to conclusions at the mo, everyone is trying their hardest to find out if they are ok, or what has happened, there is an orion over them at the mo, so just wait an see until jumping in hook line and sinker!!
hopefully they are ok, and thoughts go out to ALL PEOPLE involved!!!!

Yellow & Blue Baron
29th Oct 2010, 09:45
Does anyone happen to know what equipment the French require as the standard on-board survival kit for ECW (extreme cold weather) operations?

YBB

ROX
29th Oct 2010, 10:06
Hello,

Does somebody have infos on the identity of the pilot?

Thanks

minimo
29th Oct 2010, 13:13
:( French news report rescue teams spotted wreckage and at least 3 bodies...another f*** sad day...

AnFI
29th Oct 2010, 18:23
.... who was running these machines ( were they red and yellow? )

Senior Pilot
29th Oct 2010, 19:24
From the BBC News: Bodies found in Antarctica French helicopter crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11654604)

Bodies found in Antarctica French helicopter crash

An Australian plane searching for survivors of a French helicopter crash in Antarctica has spotted three bodies, French officials say.
The fate of the fourth person on board the helicopter was not known.
It had crashed in poor weather carrying a pilot, mechanic and two staff from a French polar research station.
A distress beacon was activated late on Thursday, triggering the search, about 100km (62 miles) from France's Dumont-d'Urville research base.
The AS350 Squirrel helicopter had taken off from the supply ship L'Astrolabe, about 370km north-east of the research station.
Another helicopter at the base could not join the search because of poor visibility in the area, said French officials.
The officials said the Australian searchers saw a wide debris field from the crash.
"The teams report seeing debris scattered over 150m (164 yards), which indicates a strong impact with the ground," said a statement from the French authority that administers the country's southern overseas territories.
The Australian search plane dropped survival equipment at the crash site.
Before the three bodies were spotted the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said there were "no signs that anyone has survived the impact of the crash".

skyweed
30th Oct 2010, 11:54
Quote: "You will excuse my ignorance of Antartic operations but .. it doesn't require aircraft to fly in pairs?

EoR"

It does seem sensible to operate in pairs, here are some considerations;

If operating from a vessel with a single heli deck (two hangars) then one heli would need to launch and loiter until the second one is ranged and launced, this would require a lot of fuel and time. The process would have to be reversed for the recovery - thus not always practical.

There is a question about sending two helis into bad weather as a pair, when do they loose sight of each other? if the one crashes due to Wx the other is surely also at peril?

There may only be room for one heli on the vessel.

Nigel Osborn
30th Oct 2010, 13:40
I don't know about the French boys but in the Oz contract we always flew 2 aircraft & with half loads, so you could pick up the crew from the other one if it went down. If the weather was that bad, we didn't fly.

EOR............it's AntarCtica!:ok:

GKaplan
30th Oct 2010, 14:29
I believe they were flying in pair, just 20 minutes apart.
The first went through, the second got caught by the bad wx 20 minutes later...

Shell Management
30th Oct 2010, 19:01
Twenty minutes is a long time in that region as the weather can change fast. Totally inadequate aircraft for the conditions.

AnFI
30th Oct 2010, 20:56
... but down there you need reliability and performance. B2's and B3's are ideal.

... and where there are no electronic means for re-establishing viual cues - the best thing is to not loose them - big windows are best for that.

... It is the harshest environment anywhere - prolly ... no room for 'theory' there.

Steve76
30th Oct 2010, 22:34
I dunno... Winter op's up here in the Arctic = -35 deg plus, stupidly strong winds and 24hr darkness. Pretty harsh.
If you are going to fly around in poor weather, learn to use instruments to get yourself out of the **** and never lose your back door.

John Eacott
31st Oct 2010, 00:04
The Antarctic is currently out of winter: it is 'spring', and the usual time of the year for the first re-supply mission after winter. There are currently some 18 hours of daylight every day. Yes, there are strong winds and yes, there are low temperatures and yes, the conditions can change very quickly.

I can't speak for the French operator's procedures, but since this is the same mission that I was on last year there appears nothing unusual about the season, nor the use of AS350 Squirrel helicopters. Shell Management is a wind up merchant of the first degree, and has little or no credence on Rotorheads: AS350's have been used for many years and are ideal for the purpose to which they are put.

Local news reports that the Doctor from DDU has been flown to the site, and all four on board are confirmed dead: a sad end to the first mission of the season :(

infloweffect
31st Oct 2010, 02:30
For those involved these are going to be hard times. from a pilot that has done 2 resupply missions with the Astrolab to DDU, I have had a few moments with the rapidly changing weather in the Antarctic, and understand that even with 2 helicopters It is a hostile place to fly with No room for Error. My thoughts go to the Crew and team from the L'Astrolabe and the Polar institute.

Yellow & Blue Baron
31st Oct 2010, 05:42
Winter ops in the Arctic -35 deg or less, stupidly strong winds and 24hr darkness. Pretty harsh. If you are going to fly around in poor weather, learn to use instruments to get yourself out of the **** and never lose your back door.

Well said Steve76. :ok: Sometimes (a lot of the time) people don't realize the work which goes on all year around in the arctic circle areas from Russia, across Scandinavia, Greenland, Canada and Alaska. The conditions are also extreme but most of the work goes on without any notice.

Still, we are very sad :( about the French Squirrel. Does anyone know what on-board survival kit is placed in the Squirrels used in Antarctica for example if you have a techincal problem and have to land and wait?

YBB

Kulwin Park
31st Oct 2010, 09:02
Sad news - RIP. Normally Squirrels are the most reliable aircraft in those type operations. Hopefully the cause is found out.

The news said there was a Mechanic on board. Does anyone know if it was an Australian, as I now that Helicopter Resources from Tyabb/Hobart often lease machines and personnel to the French????

Ta, KP

Shell Management
31st Oct 2010, 17:05
@John E One word: crashworthiness.

RVDT
31st Oct 2010, 18:14
SM,

I think if you spread any helicopter over 150 metres "crashworthiness" may not be applicable. :rolleyes:

Brilliant Stuff
31st Oct 2010, 18:36
My condolences.

I read an article int he late '90s which described a mission in the Antarctic run by Australian Helicopters and they used two S-76's who flew together whereever they went and they had enough survival gear on board to last out in the wild for 5 days ish. they were used for the scientists not for resupply.

Excellent article it was and explained how harsh it's down there.
I would love to do a stint if they would allow me.

Shell Management
31st Oct 2010, 20:30
RVDT how about EGPWS then?

John Eacott
31st Oct 2010, 20:43
RVDT how about EGPWS then?

And just who has the EGPWS GPS database with ice packs, icebergs and up to date levels on the Antarctica continent and surrounding ocean, which vary daily? What has that to do with "Totally inadequate aircraft for the conditions"?

I rest my case: SM, a wind up merchant who has little idea of the real world of Rotorheads :rolleyes:

FH1100 Pilot
31st Oct 2010, 22:13
Very sad to hear of this incident.

But I wonder... wouldn't an "active" TCAS allow the pilots to "see" each other in flight? If one aircraft can interrogate the other's transponder independantly of ATC/ground-based radar, then each one should always be able to know where the other one is at all times.

PO dust devil
1st Nov 2010, 01:34
Condolences.....

A couple of points I'd like to add WRT Ice ops. I am NOT an ice expert so, these may not have applied to this case but just general contribution - thanks.

Transiting aircraft in Antarctica should ideally travel together and vote as one. Basic CRM applies. One out all out - default to the most conservative.

No problem working nearby each other but those who know put a 50 mile limit on spread between aircraft during ops.

Always wear the correct level of thermal gear so if you don't get to the survival kit you have some chance of sitting warm until helps arrives. A down coat or sleeping/survival bag in the cargo bay is no value if you are hurt and stuck in the front.

If the weather is marginal there is absolutely no skin off anyone's nose to return from whence you came or land. Clients may whine, but they are usually the ones not in the aircraft - those who are in the aircraft will have to accept the PIC decision.....not always pleasant conversation - but always done.

Most operators use 15 minute skeds as well as any other flight following.

18 -24 hours of daylight is no guarantee of visibility.

Turbulence can also be an issue even 10 miles down wind of ridges in the Antarctic Mountain Ranges - enough to risk damage and control issues.

Passengers deserve the highest level of protection the PIC can offer (Applies to EMS also). Even if you are a risk taker yourself, you cannot impose this on others who may have a different slant on risk assessment.

Base TAF once read winds 240/80G100 - this happens occasionally during the summer season.

Steve, not everyone had the benefit of the great IFR introduction you had. Not a bad general comment though.

I make no judgement regarding this particular tragedy - there but for the grace of......etc.

DD

Yellow & Blue Baron
1st Nov 2010, 05:11
Dust Devel thanks for these comments which make a lot of sense :ok:

TukTuk BoomBoom
1st Nov 2010, 19:55
Well i dont think its much good having IFR aircraft just for the sake of it, wheres the nav aids in Antarctica?
The US navy certainly got the message that two pilot IFR aircraft are as likely to crash down there as singles if you make bad calls or are just unlucky.
The kiwi airforce certainly wrecked their fair share from poor piloting as well and the americans had the high profile crash of a 212 a few years ago.
The Astar is a great aircraft for operations in Antarctica and this accident may just prove to be pilot error which as we all know can happen to any aircraft anywhere.
As for flight following, there are plenty of ways to track aircraft automatically. I think its also cumpulsory on the American operations at McMurdo to use satellite tracking.
Either way its a real shame but thats the nature of operations down there.

KiwiRotorWrench
3rd Nov 2010, 23:01
TukTuk BoomBoom, curious as to what the Kiwi Air Force wrecked down there? I was on the ice in 86 and the US Navy lost some UH-1N's. My wife worked in base hospital down there in 02-03, when PHI 212 crashed in Dry Valley's. Lucky to be alive and walking those two, have seen the pictures.
As far a I know RNZAF has done Iroquois engine and transmission changes out in the field, but never heard of any accidents down there.
Cheers
KC

libecciu
4th Nov 2010, 13:11
Crash in Antarctica. The victims identified

The helicopter crash, which occurred last Thursday in Antarctica a hundred miles from the Dumont d'Urville, has killed four people. This is Frederick Vuillaume, 39, Ain, Anthony Mangel, 27, Vosges, two contractual French Polar Institute Paul Emile Victor, who spent four months a year in Antarctica on raids association with Concordia, Lionel Guignard, helicopter pilot, and John Arquier mechanic.

choppersky
11th Nov 2010, 18:05
RIP, my friend Lionel. :(:(:(
I won't forget you. By.