PDA

View Full Version : Expired class 1

davepearsall
28th Oct 2010, 16:51
I'm currently in ground school studying for my ATPL.

I've just realised that my class 1 medical expires today!:eek: woops.

In January I'm going to the US to complete my foundation flight training and have heard that you can get your class 1 renewed for much cheaper than here in the UK.

Am I OK to complete the rest of groundschool with my lapsed class 1 and wait to get it renewed in January, or do I have to get it renewed ASAP to complete the rest of my ATPL groundschool and JAR exams?

Many Thanks

niknak
28th Oct 2010, 19:29
You can study but you cannot fly (unless it's as a passenger), something to think about if you do get the opportunity to go aviating.
Even if the costs of the medical in the USA are cheaper I can't imagine that the difference is that great.
But it is well worth phoning around to see what AMEs near you charge, they can vary significantly, whatever, get on with it now and be done with it.

davepearsall
28th Oct 2010, 19:37
Thanks for info!

Loose rivets
28th Oct 2010, 20:15
Don't forget you need an appropriate VISA for this in the US. You CAN NOT train under the visa waiver program.

Unless things have changed radically of course.

davepearsall
28th Oct 2010, 20:27
loose rivets - Passport came back today with shiny visa in it! What a trauma it is going to US embassy in London though

mad_jock
10th Nov 2010, 09:46
Its actaully normal to train using a class 2 of an expired class 1 then only get the class 1 back before you sit the CPL flight test.

Only thing to watch is that you time it so that your ecg is done when you are 29 then you will get the sub 30 time until the next one instead of the over 30 time. That saved me nearly 200 quid on medicals.

sickofitall
10th Nov 2010, 10:02
Dont waste your money renewing your medical now. You can renew a class one medical up to four years from the date of expiry without having to do an initial medical again.

Your class one medical grants you Class 2 privileges for a period of two years from the date of issue...so you can still fly a JAA registered aircraft privately.

If you are going to the US to fly you will be required to get an FAA medical before you can do any training. These are relatively cheap and you will find its very easyu to find an AME once you get there.

You do not need to renew your Class 1 medical until you apply to sit a flight test.