PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planner for Mac...

girl with a stick
28th Oct 2010, 11:18
...I see there is no Command Flight Planner for Mac.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations (other than "buy a P.C, you Mactard")?

Cheers,

GWaS

Peter Fanelli
28th Oct 2010, 11:33
WACs
Protractor
Ruler
E6B

blueloo
28th Oct 2010, 11:50
Helpful fellow aren't you.

(As a temporary "instead of buying a PC you mactard" :} solution you could use bootcamp or an emulation program [VMware fusion] with Windows and then run the program) Its not ideal but it will do the trick. (Also you can make the program appear as a normal mac program on the menu bar via a "Unity" setting within VMware)

(And lastly there are ways and means of using programs I believe such as "Crossover" to make windows programs work on a mac without buying or running windows..... i don't know how easy it is or if it is worth the effort)

The Green Goblin
28th Oct 2010, 12:01
Most companies I worked for used Champagne (flight planner 3000). IMO it beats Command hands down, and you can download a trial version on their website to see if it will run on a mac.

Software Download Centre (http://www.champagnepcservices.com.au/htmldocs/downloadcentre.htm)

I could never justify the cost of purchasing such software, and after my CPL flight test never had to do a manual flight plan again.

Perhaps a suggestion is to manually flight plan for your big trip for a bit of practice and use the NAIPS app for iphone/ipad to submit your plans.

Ultralights
28th Oct 2010, 12:17
use software called Parallels, then install XP on your mac. or partition the HD with Bootcamp and install windoze on the new partition.

QSK?
29th Oct 2010, 05:04
I used to use this shareware program a few years back and never experienced any computer problems: Download Mac Flight Planner for Macintosh (http://mac-flight-planner.mac.findmysoft.com/). It has a world wide database included but the problem I seem to recall was one of maintaining the currency of the database. Seemed to me at the time to put a lot of onus on the pilot to ensure currency but they may have fixed this up.

girl with a stick: check your PMs

aldee
29th Oct 2010, 05:53
Don't use it for flight planning but use parallels with windows 7 on my imac for business software, works perfectly. Best of both worlds:ok:

Ultralights
29th Oct 2010, 09:49
Parallels is pretty slick but it costs a few $$. I'm a true pilot
so am i, "cough" serial box+Iserial reader" cough

Peter Fanelli
29th Oct 2010, 13:21
Perhaps a suggestion is to manually flight plan for your big trip for a bit of practice

I kind of made the same suggestion, but someone said I wasn't being helpful.

blueloo
29th Oct 2010, 13:24
You weren't. :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Oct 2010, 13:29
Its OK Pete, I'M WITH U!!! :D:D

Ifnya goin' ta do a FUN TRIP - then ya might as well make it a 'FUN TRIP'!!!

Hi Girlie, have to say it here....just have to agree with that man!! :D:D:D

C H E E R S .....:p

girl with a stick
30th Oct 2010, 23:44
Gentlemen,

Before we start a squabble, I just want to say that it's my intention to use BOTH. The flight planning program is for the initial planning, so I don't have to hire warehouse space to spread out the WACS.

Then, as a pre-CPL, all the planning will be done on maps, with pencils, rulers, protractors and whizz-wheels.

I've been taught to "use whatever's available" - google earth, Command Flight Planner, Co-pilot on the iphone, in addition to the paper, watch and compass, but not instead of :ok:

:)
GWaS

Jabawocky
31st Oct 2010, 10:42
Well you could have been available at Darling harbour last Thursday and used mine :}

Most newer macs will run XP as well.......

Give me a call when you get a minute!