PDA

View Full Version : Concorde at Hatfield

AVROTRI
27th Oct 2010, 23:37
I came across this forum and the previous thread from 2002(now closed) regarding the above whilst surfing info on Hatfield . I was intrigued re the post about Concorde landing and it prompted me to register on the forum with a view to finding out more.I did some building work there in the 80s (they used to have a 125 and 146 inside and a 1000? I recall kitted out in sofas etc to sell the aircraft to the rich and famous and we used to watch the 146s in primer green circling around (my cousin was involved on the flight testing btw).I recall a Comet landing there in 89 and I understand Airbuses landed several times. I never saw it myself at Hatfield but there was certainly talk of Concorde doing a touch and go at some point amongst both workers and locals but I can only regard this as talk .She certainly did a low flypast at one or more of the airshows that were once a feature there and it would be nice to see a picture of that as someone undoubtedly took some. I would be very pleased to see any photos anyone may have of her there if possible either doing a flypast or even better touching the ground!

Phileas Fogg
28th Oct 2010, 00:17
Concorde at Hatfield [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-67854.html)

AVROTRI,

Dan Air retired their Comets circa 1981 (ish) thus, I guess, the only Comet flying circa 1989 would have been the RAE beast that now resides in Bruntingthorpe.

Literally every 'Mr Reggie Spotter' in the country likes to believe any famous aircraft visited, landed etc. at, their local airfield, perhaps you might take such suggestion(s) with a pinch of salt!

JEM60
28th Oct 2010, 07:41
PH.
It was indeed the RAE Comet. I was there, and videod it blowing metal crowd barriers down on start up. No crowd behind them at that point thankfully.Ah, De Havilland......Flew on a Dan-Air Comet once, and Concorde OAB.:)

jumpseater
28th Oct 2010, 08:13
A&AEE '235' did land at Hatfield, I have analogue snaps of it somewhere, and an image in Birtles book for July 89.

The fuselage mockups were at the 'sales' centre and showed generic layouts for the exec interior fit. They were in a building next to the flight test hanger which is the large building still standing on the airfield. Lots of interesting stuff used to land, some of them not departing, (the met for example:oh:) ...

correction to ID correct aircraft

forget
28th Oct 2010, 08:19
There's enough evidence on various Forums to say that Concorde did visit Hatfield, albeit as a one-off roller during an open day, but it seems that no one took photographs. There has to be some out there - if only to prove Phileas wrong. ;)

spekesoftly
28th Oct 2010, 08:42
but it seems that no one took photographs

But didn't you mention (on the original thread, last post) receiving some photographs from an ex-Hatfield friend showing Concorde doing a roller at Hatfield? :confused:

forget
28th Oct 2010, 08:50
You're right, I did, but for the life of me I can't remember the photograph - it was 9 years ago - and for some reason I didn't keep a copy. Sorry.

Amos Keeto
28th Oct 2010, 09:42
(Quote)

AVROTRI,

Dan Air retired their Comets circa 1981 (ish) thus, I guess, the only Comet flying circa 1989 would have been the RAE beast that now resides in Bruntingthorpe.
(unquote)

If you are referring to XS235, this was never operated by RAE, but by A&AEE Boscombe Down. I flew into Hatfield in her in July 1992 together with DH88 Comet G-ACSS and a RAF Hercules from which we did a photo shoot. That may have been the occasion you saw her there.

chevvron
28th Oct 2010, 10:20
The RAE Farnborough Comet was XV 814? It was definitely not the same as '235 which was A & AEE Boscombe Down.
Sometime in the late '90s (forget exactly when) I had the regrettable duty of recording the final departure of '814 in the ATC Watch Log; it went to Boscombe on this last flight where it was to be used as spares for '235.

Planemike
28th Oct 2010, 14:45
Back to Concorde at Hatfield.......
Just checked in Chris Orlebar's book The Concorde Story, Hatfield is listed as one of the UK airfields visited by Concorde. Sorry no date.....

Planemike

jumpseater
28th Oct 2010, 17:20
If you are referring to XS235, this was never operated by RAE, but by A&AEE Boscombe Down. I flew into Hatfield in her in July 1992 together with DH88 Comet G-ACSS

235 was certainly the aircraft I saw at Hatfield and have shots of. I also saw it at Boscombe and took piccies of it and 814 together just before its last flight out and 814 looked in a sorry state then. The piccies went into the local paper, I recall getting both aircraft in one shot was nearly impossible, and 814 was in the 'wrong' place for a nice shot.

The formation with G-ACSS rings a bell too, I seem to vaguely recall that there was to be a De-Havilland Comet formation planned for the Mildenhall show that year, but the weather was really bad so it didn't happen. I did manage a picture of 235 and G-ACSS nose to nose at Mildenhall but the rain was so hard it's a very poor shot.

kwateow
28th Oct 2010, 19:57
Did Hatfield contribute anything to the development of Concorde?

AVROTRI
28th Oct 2010, 20:05
Nice to enjoy a hearty welcome thankyou and see that my enquiry has renewed a lively debate.
Having spoke to a couple of friends today I'm pretty sure the Comet in 1989 was Boscombes 4C XS235 and the First Development Airbus A310 F-WZLI visited in 1983 but was apparently too large to use the perimeter route. The Airbus Skylink Guppy also attended but not sure if she landed
Its very interesting thankyou Amos that you mention G-ACSS. I recall the Red Wonder zooming lowish over the house (which is not far from the airfield) coming in from the West then doing some circuits and looking spectacular. This was probably around 1992 but it was a blue sky/some cloud day and I don't recall a Comet 4 that time yet a Hercules does seem in the memory banks. Not being a 'Reggie Spotter' as Phileas refers to them but generally just interested in what goes over the house the memory banks are not clear on the dates Im afraid. Would love to see the photoshoot pics if possible please?
No luck yet on the Concorde visit/photos but this link appears to make mention of it:- http://www.concordesst.com/history/destinations.html (mhtml:{16A1C5FF-0586-41A4-BA96-4DD3C7EC6DA3}mid://00000055/!x-usc:http://www.concordesst.com/history/destinations.html)

forget
28th Oct 2010, 20:38
Did Hatfield contribute anything to the development of Concorde?

Yes, -- your heading and italics suggest you'd rather it hadn't. Any reason? Not too fond of 146s? Bad night in the Comet Hotel?

concorde | trident | 1972 | 0487 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1972/1972%20-%200487.html)

Evanelpus
29th Oct 2010, 10:14
I had many a night in the Comet hotel when I moved South from the Midlands to work at Hatfield.

It was touted as a premier class hotel, what a joke. It was dirty, in need of decorating and you were either boiling hot or freezing cold in your room. Fortunately, I was only there for two months before I found somewhere to rent but it was no coincidence that a lot of transferred staff, off sick with cold type symptoms, stayed there.

JEM60
29th Oct 2010, 16:23
I remember helping to push G-ACSS into a hangar following it's landing swing and consequent damaged undercarriage. One of the wings was supported by a trolley.

s77urf
24th Sep 2011, 20:31
i grew up in Hatfield and even worked at the dynamics site (shown in the background of the colour pic) i remember the Concorde at Hatfield 1998, it was a not a full landing, attached links to photographic evedence. Panoramio - Photo of concorde touch and go at Hatfield 1988 (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/35148106) ClassicBritishAviation.org • View topic - Concorde at Hatfield (http://www.aviationphotoarchive.com/ZuluKiloBB2/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1835)

drcords
12th May 2013, 08:15
Hi,

I have an image of concorde at Hatfield from when I went to an airshow with my Grandfather, I remember it did a touch and go then 1 circuit, and as it came over the field it slowed as much as it could, then bowed to the crowd and went back to London. The image is sadly in my head but it was one of the days that got me hooked on flying for sure. I also remember going round the hangars and seeing a bright red fuselage, not sure what it was, maybe a concorde mock-up but the red just stood out. I would ask my grandfather as he used to work as a progress chaser at Hatfield back then but he passed back in 1994... The airshow must have been in the 1980's if thats any help. I must try and dig through some old photos see if he had a camera that day...

Good luck with your search!!

jumpseater
12th May 2013, 10:06
I would ask my grandfather as he used to work as a progress chaser at Hatfield back then but he passed back in 1994...

He wasn't an ex WWII merchant seaman, initials GM, was he?

Blacksheep
14th May 2013, 22:13
Did Hatfield contribute anything to the development of Concorde?I was on a training course at Hatfield in 1969. During a visit to HS Dynamics one day, we observed development tests being carried out on a RR-SNECMA Olympus Compressor. So, yes, Hatfield was involved.

LynxDriver
27th May 2013, 01:49
I have photos of Concorde doing a touch and go at Hatfield at the open day in July 1987 I think it was. I'll try and upload a couple.

bonajet
29th May 2013, 09:50
I remember flying some 50th anniversary first day covers on the 27th July 1989 in XS235. This was to celebrate fifty years since the first flight and, if my memory serves me, we went to Hatfield. Unfortunately I cannot remember what I did there but it wasn't a full stop as the log book shows Boscombe to Boscombe. There was another 50th flypast at Martlesham Heath on the 4th Sep 89 but what 50th I'm not sure. Queen of the Skies!

bvcu
29th May 2013, 18:12
50th anniversary of A&AEE move from Martlesham to Boscombe ?

Allan Lupton
29th May 2013, 18:18
That'd have been 50 years since the first flight of the Comet airliner which was on 27/7/49

LTNman
29th May 2013, 22:09
I have an image of concorde at Hatfield from when I went to an airshow with my Grandfather, I remember it did a touch and go then 1 circuit, and as it came over the field it slowed as much as it could, then bowed to the crowd and went back to London.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember it either set off from Luton or returned to Luton with BAE Hatfield staff.

jumpseater
30th May 2013, 16:53
I have a vague recollection that the LTN trip went via Bay of Biscay for a supersonic dash. I can't recall a trip specific to BAe employees though having contacts both at LTN and BAe EGTH at that time.

LTNman
30th May 2013, 22:01
Jumpseater in 2002 you said it did take BAe employees if you read through the thread.

Concorde at Hatfield [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-67854.html)

jumpseater
30th May 2013, 23:11
That's correct my error :\ (Apologies I was thinking in terms of a trip specific to BAe Hatfield employees)

Concorde July 86 LTN-LTN via Bay of Biscay

Evanelpus
31st May 2013, 08:35
(Apologies I was thinking in terms of a trip specific to BAe Hatfield employees)

The only BAe staff specific flights I remember was by BAe146, I flew to Southend on mine (Debonair if memory serves me right). I also flew a few times to Chester in the Jetsteam and 125.

I distinctly remember the Concorde visit to Hatfield and it didn't land but did set off quite a few car alarms. Those were the days.

PlanesOfThePast
13th Jun 2013, 21:47
I was at the Museum of Flight in Seattle a couple of weeks ago and got to see a Concorde up close and personal for the first time. An amazing aircraft! You can walk the length of it inside, and even peek inside the cockpit.

http://www.planesofthepast.com/images/museumofflight/british-airlines-concorde-tail-view-museum-of-flight.jpg

eecl55dvr
6th Aug 2013, 19:32
I reply with interest to the posts regarding the Concorde touch and go at Hatfield. The date was 5th July 1986.

dereknf
7th Aug 2013, 07:02
The only BAe staff specific flights I remember was by BAe146, I flew to Southend on mine (Debonair if memory serves me right).

In 1988/89? BAe operated BAe146-100 E1002 (or E1004?) over several weekends to give as many employees a flight as they could. I think it was in PSA colours at the time.