PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old for the ADF??

gwelo01
27th Oct 2010, 04:53
I have three interests with the ADF: Army SSO Pilot (I'm not getting any younger), Air Force (ACO) and Navy (Observer). As I left Year 12 in 1988 I intend to go back to TAFE and do 2U Maths and Physics again so I am up to scratch (Which will take the next two years).
That means I will be 41/42 years of age when I join. Am I too old - that's the question I keep asking myself.
Is age going to be an issue??? Does anybody have any personal knowledge that will help me.

clear to land
27th Oct 2010, 12:17
There is now no 'age limit' due to discrimination laws, and have heard of a number of candidates in their 40's. Depends what else you have done with your life, and also consider your age at the end of ROSO. As far as the next 2 years goes whilst you are doing the 'academics' , consider joining the ARes to gain a greater insight into he Green Machine. Also helps with showing motivation during a Selection Board. Good Luck.

ventura75
28th Oct 2010, 21:18
Have a good look at the "Defence Jobs" web-site. Physics is not a mandated Yr12 subject any more, but it doesn't hurt. As for age, as long as you can turn 60 after completing ROSO - even by one day you can be commisioned. Have a very good look through the RAAF flight screening thread on this forum - it will give you heaps of information that will apply equally to ACO and OBS

Captain Sand Dune
29th Oct 2010, 07:44
I think the upper age limit for Army pilot recruits is 47. However.............
I have been instructing at BFTS for over 6 years, and I can say fairly confidently that the older the trainee the less likely they are to pass.
The older guys have a great attitude and work hard. And unlike an increasing number of the younger ones, they can take a robust de-briefing in the spirit in which it is given rather than crying and running off to a lawyer.
However at the risk of sounding twee, it's very much a case of "old dog/new tricks". At 24, I was one of the "old men" on my course.
I wish you the best of luck. However as you are in your early 40s you are probably in an established profession. Think hard about what you're giving up.

Frazzled
29th Oct 2010, 10:02
Sorry to be blunt - but in a word - Yes.

finestkind
30th Oct 2010, 10:56
A dream is wonderful. Passion, motivation, drive are prerequisites to achieve a dream. Saying I will is a statement and first step on the pathway BUT maturity allows a reality check. It’s great to always complete what you state but it also show maturity to review your goal and gauge whether it is achievable and is it still worth the effort/cost. I will resurrect this old car but is it realistic to spend 10x the amount it will ever be worth??
Your age is a significant factor and undoubtedly you will be asked why now why not 20/10 or even 5 years ago? Capt SD has obviously experience in this area and as much as you think you can do it the stats appear to be against you.

Brian 48nav
30th Oct 2010, 18:20
I have no reason to comment on this thread, BUT I just had to say how nice it was to see Sand Dune's post. In my limited experience of forums I am always struck by how rude we often are to each other;it was so refreshing to see SD's thoughtful reply,

Captain Sand Dune
31st Oct 2010, 00:37
Oh, I can be rude too...............:E

ventura75
1st Nov 2010, 02:04
And, don't we know that!! :O

Captain Sand Dune
1st Nov 2010, 08:33
ooooOOOOOooooo!:}

dostum
1st Nov 2010, 09:54
The ideal age range for starting pilot course is 20-22. In my view 18 is too young; you need some experience of the big, bad world before being confronted with grumpy RAAF flying instructors. If you leave it 'til after the age of 22, the chances of you successfully completing Fast Jet training start to shrink dramatically. This has been statistically proven!

The oldest people to complete RAAF/RAN pilot training in the last few years would have been in their early 30's. None of these guys made it to FJ, but there is no shame in that! Some Army guys in their late 30's complete training, but I have seen just one guy in their 40's make it through. I have seen about 10 over 40's make a start, so that is a 1/10 success rate.

Why? You slow down with age. Your decision making only has to be delayed a small amount of time and then you are behind the aircraft, you start running out of capacity and then the mistakes start happening. I am not being ageist. I have observed this phenomenon on a number of occasions.

herkman
1st Nov 2010, 22:22
Whilst the facts may be correct and the risk is high, but never the less their is a chance that you will pass. Whilst FJ's see themselves as the elite, I know plenty of multi engine drivers who could fly the pants off many.

The point there are in all aircrew positions people who appear to be born to fly, but I have found over many years that there are exceptional , above average and average pilots. The grading aften are impacted by the number of hours, and in the ADF most pilots end up with lower hours than say an airline pilot, except for ME types/.

Understanding that you will start beyond the eight ball, gives you a good point to take extra care with your studies. Bearing in mind that diligent practice and studies may may make up for your late start.

Whilst I flew on the C130 I had two CO's who were ex SGT pilots who after the war stayed in and became commisioned. Both would have been in their 40's and stepped up from the C47 to the C130. That is quite a step and both ended up one stars.

My advice is if you understand you have issues that will need to be overcome, but do not become an IFER. The world is full of people who say, if only I had done that and if only I had gone this way, and sit there regreting that they had not made the effort.

If you want FJ's then you will be up against all the young turks, but if you go helicopters or multi engines you will find it extreemly rewarding. We had an ex Luftwaffe ME109 pilot in my squadron (now that tell you something he had to be in his early 40's.) I asked him how he enjoyed flying the C130 compared with his own mount.

On the C130 I have seen the rate of climb indicator of the maximum scale plus and minus. If only we had performance like that might have been a different story with the 109..

Take the chance that you may not get through, and do not be an IFER, but try hard and you may surprise many.

Best of luck

Regards

Col

MTOW
2nd Nov 2010, 00:43
Well said Col.

gwelo01
16th Nov 2010, 23:44
Thanks everyone - I really appreciated the comments!!!