PDA

View Full Version : Greenland MSA

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Oct 2010, 14:38
Where can I find the daily MSA for Greenland.

Needed for presentation, so source required, rather than todays number.

glf

BOAC
24th Oct 2010, 14:59
Can you expand on what is a 'daily MSA'? Having never crossed Greenland 'in charge' I am not familiar. Are you looking at the temperature corrected indicated MSA?

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Oct 2010, 15:02
Cos i am assured it is a variable, due to firsty the vast temperature variations from ISA, and the movement of the terrain, ice etc.

Hope this clarifies my request.

It is in the order of FL 235.

glf

BOAC
24th Oct 2010, 15:31
Have you tried Sondrestrom Information? +2 99843454 email f i c @ naviair.dk ?

I would be surprised if it is that high - I don't think there is anything above 4000m in Greenland?

TopBunk
24th Oct 2010, 16:02
I can understand that the thickness of the ice will vary with the seasons and more generally over the years, but as I understand it, much of Greenland has not been accurately surveyed, and I don't think the MSA will vary at all, as the ice thickness will not vary by 100's of feet. The published MSA's I would assume account for annual variations and fudge factors where surveys are incomplete.

What I think you may be confusing is the MEA (minimum enroute altitude) or MOA (minimum operating altitude), both of which will adjust the MSA for temperature and wind strength factors.

The latest chart I have to hand suggests the MSA peaks at about 15600 generally in the north.