PDA

View Full Version : Science Museum to Demolish Wroughton Control Tower

Windy Militant
23rd Oct 2010, 11:40
Swindon advertiser Residents upset at plan to demolish control tower/ (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/8470860.Residents_upset_at_plan_to_demolish_control_tower/)

The contempt that the Kensington staff hold for Wroughton has once again been shown. Is this the first stage of making the site more developer friendly I wonder!

chevvron
4th Nov 2010, 14:20
Sad to see it go. I operated there briefly during the PFA Rallys of '92 and '93 (most of the time we operated from a caravan out by the runway) and remember it as a robust substantial but small structure with a good view of the airfield; the bogs weren't too bad either. No telling though, if there was a streel framework, maybe it's corroded thus making it unsafe.
Would never happen if Ross Sharp was still in charge, he had big plans for developing public access to the collection (especially as a fly-in venue) including FISOs and a cafeteria.

Windy Militant
4th Nov 2010, 18:25
Hello Chevvron, In which case we there about the same time as I was one of the Gormless Gophers helping the radio techs at both of those rallies.
I think that Ross god bless him got away with an awful lot while Kensington were looking the other way.:ok: