PDA

View Full Version : BA Luggage

oldpax
20th Oct 2010, 11:24
Just returned from UK to Cairo.I had booked this flight via a web booking agent.This was OK then I changed my return flight.Arrived at term five and payed my 72 GBP for my wife and I for the booking change,so far all OK checked in our luggage at the same customer service desk and had to pay 40 GBP extra for a holdall,third piece of luggage apparently not allowed even though our weight allowance was 5k under!!!Entering the aircraft several passengers had two pieces of hand luggage contrary to the signs displayed at check ins,should I attempt a refund or just tell them they have just lost two unhappy customers?!OH almost forgot leaving Cairo had the same three pieces of luggage,no problem there though!!!

wiggy
20th Oct 2010, 11:42
Entering the aircraft several passengers had two pieces of hand luggage contrary to the signs displayed at check ins,

FWIW BA do allow two pieces of handluggage, one of which can be of wheelie bag size, the other one must be small enough to slide under the seat in front of you (e.g. laptop case, flat brief case or similar). The gauging boxes in T5 carry a sign to that effect.

A bit late now I know but all the details are on ba.com, here:

British Airways - Baggage essentials (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/baggag/public/en_gb)

Thunderbug
20th Oct 2010, 11:51
Can't help with your individual circumstance........ but remember all passengers are not equal!

Sounds unfair but see BA.com - bags (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb?topic=freebags).

There is a multitude of different restrictions depending on class of travel, executive club card, route, etc. Some passengers may be transfering at LHR to flights that have a greater allowance - that gives them that allowance on all sectors of that journey. Also some check-in staff feel that they have discretion (or don't want the hassle) and some do not.

It is not easy answer, but I suggest you check the details on the website, see what you should have been allowed. If you feel that that charges have been inappropriately applied, you have nothing to lose in sending in a complaint.

T'Bug :ok:

[Ops.... simultaneous posts with Wiggy!)

fincastle84
20th Oct 2010, 12:46
If you had read the information before hand you wouldn't have had a problem.

It's not fair to blame BA for your own errors, I'm sure you'll get it right next time.

Globaliser
24th Oct 2010, 00:29
checked in our luggage at the same customer service desk and had to pay 40 GBP extra for a holdall,third piece of luggage apparently not allowed even though our weight allowance was 5k under!!!BA no longer operates on a weight allowance. The allowance is one bag per person in economy, and any extra bags attract an extra bag charge. There are maximum weights per bag (23kg per bag if you don't want to pay an extra weight charge; and 32kg per bag absolute maximum), but the key is the number of bags.

When this allowance system was brought in, BA said that it would waive the extra bag charge for any passenger who physically can't carry 23kg in one bag and therefore has to split it across two bags - provided that the total weight of the two bags doesn't exceed 23kg. I can't quickly find a reference to this on the website, but in view of your personal details this is something you might want to ask BA about in future.

oldpax
24th Oct 2010, 13:44
Thank you Fincastle ,not having encountered this problem before I didnt know I needed to read the information.I will bear it in mind next month flying with two unknown airlines to me.

oldpax
24th Oct 2010, 13:47
Has anyone on the forum flown with this Indian airline and have comments ?

Andy_S
26th Oct 2010, 15:15
BA no longer operates on a weight allowance. The allowance is one bag per person in economy, and any extra bags attract an extra bag charge. There are maximum weights per bag (23kg per bag if you don't want to pay an extra weight charge; and 32kg per bag absolute maximum), but the key is the number of bags.

This is one reason I will always try and avoid flying BA. For various reasons it suits me to travel with two suitcases, and as far as I am aware most airlines have no problem with this. I also prefer carrying two smaller & lighter bags than one big heavy one. One wonders why BA brought in this rule.

Hartington
26th Oct 2010, 16:43
Andy_S I suggest you have a look at the baggage policies of some (most?) US airlines - they nearly all charge for the first piece of checked baggage, much less the 2nd, 3rd etc.

Unfortunately, it's a disease that's spreading so it's worth checking whoever you fly with.

ExXB
26th Oct 2010, 17:06
One wonders why BA brought in this rule.The reason is fairly simple, space (or 'cube') is more important that weight. Modern aircraft can carry the weight even if everyone checked in the maximum 32kg per piece, which they don't. Reducing the volume of baggage carried means that they have more room to load cargo (at a significantly higher price).

The old system, where you were allowed any number of pieces with a maximum weight of 23kg, meant more bags on board.

Globaliser
26th Oct 2010, 17:38
This is one reason I will always try and avoid flying BA. For various reasons it suits me to travel with two suitcases, and as far as I am aware most airlines have no problem with this.It's a very common system now. Across the Atlantic, for example, I think everyone is on piece count, one bag in economy. Amongst big European airlines, AF has also gone to piece count across the whole network.

Andy_S
27th Oct 2010, 11:51
I can't really speak for transatlantic since I haven't done it for several years, but in recent years Malaysian, Thai and Singapore have happily accepted my two checked bags, and within the last few months Etihad and Air Malta have done likewise.