PDA

View Full Version : Infant with Eardrum history in S/E Aircraft

Ovation
20th Oct 2010, 03:40
In a few weeks I will have a 14 mo infant passenger who had a burst eardrum at about 10 months. I am aware that infants and small children have more difficulty equalising pressure change, and my concern is this child may become more distressed or at risk of further injury. To that extent, I have asked the mother for a medical clearance to give me peace of mind.

To complicate matters, the flight will be partly over-water and flown at FL110 to eliminate any possibility of ditching. I also plan gradual ascent and descent at no greater than 500 fpm.

Am I being overly cautious, or not? Is there anything I can do to minimise risk?

Piltdown Man
20th Oct 2010, 08:47
Yes, speak to the kid's doctor yourself. You have identified the problem so you'll have to sort it out.

PM

air pig
20th Oct 2010, 12:22
Also, try the RFDS for advice.

Regards

Air pig.

Pace
20th Oct 2010, 13:51
The last three thousand feet are the worst. FL 110 to ground is a big pressure change. With such a history as this child has had I would. Err on caution and say no! As Captain you have a duty of care. Knowing the condition exists puts you in an awkward position and a Doctor would have to remove that duty of care from you. Ie no Doctors letter from the Mother stating the child is ok in an unpressurised aircraft NO flight. I doubt the Doctor would talk to you without the Legal Guardians consent Had the Mother not informed you of the condition that would be different but as you now know be very careful Pace