PDA

View Full Version : Entry prices at Manchester airport Aviation Viewing Park

Proplinerman
19th Oct 2010, 19:19
I visited this briefly today-something I do very infrequently, as all you can see there are dreary modern airliners-and was very taken aback by the current parking/entry prices. Up to one hour: £3; up to three hours, £6; over three hours, £12!

The AVP is one of the best airport viewing facilities in the country, both in terms of movements one can see and in terms of facilities and a no of preserved aircraft there, including a Concorde, so all credit to the airport, particularly compared with BAA's totally hostile attitude to spectators. But at these prices, visitor numbers must be falling and indeed, admittedly at 3.30 on a weekday, the place was practically deserted today.

I would welcome other people's comments on this and would just say that I am going to write to the airport about this and would ask other M/C people to do the same please.

chiglet
19th Oct 2010, 22:31
I visited this briefly today-something I do very infrequently, as all you can see there are dreary modern airliners-

The AVP is one of the best airport viewing facilities in the country, both in terms of movements one can see and in terms of facilities and a no of preserved aircraft there, including a Concorde, so all credit to the airport

Erm "IF" you want to see "Dreary Modern Airliners" then by all means go to a Large Civillian Airport...Birmingham, Liverpool, or Heaven forfend.... Manchester.
If you want "cheaper car parking", look at the APH, or "southside".
I wish you luck in your protest

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Oct 2010, 20:11
At lunchtime today it was packed - a car allowed in only as one left freeing a parking space. If it was too expensive, that wouldn't be the case.

Dreary modern airliners? A Concorde for heaven's sake! And a Nimrod!

mickyman
20th Oct 2010, 20:52
Proplinerman

Seems cheap to me and as a luddite you can see plenty of props
on the dashes and atr's that frequent.

MM

skytrain10
20th Oct 2010, 22:09
I'm certainly only a very infrequent visitor to the AVP. However without doubt its the best such facility in the UK and as such from a purely personal point of view I would not mind paying that sort of money. But I agree for those with a casual interest or those who want to visit regularly it is expensive.

With respect they may be dreary modern airliners to you, but others may think differently and as both a spotter and photographer there is still plenty there to keep me interested.. Sadly however I live too far away to warant visiting, other than when I happen to be in the area.

Having said that in days long gone (late 70's-early 80's) I used to pay around £10 to park my car at Heathrow for a days spotting. The £12 at MAN suddenly doesn't seem too bad!

Stu666
20th Oct 2010, 22:17
It's definitely too expensive for a young family to visit frequently.

I recently discovered you can park for nothing down the narrow lane just past the pub. It's only a five minute walk to the AVP from there, and you can just stroll in free of charge. I suspect they will start charging people on foot before we know it. :E

spargazer
30th Oct 2012, 09:47
park up by the jolly romper ph, and either walk down for half a mile or wait for the hourly 200 bus, last one is at 1530, (60+ is free) or go to the top of the mult-storey car park, or go to the hump on the s/side. See the TAS site for locations. Better still go to Barton, Salford; and wander around the oldest continually working control tower in the WORLD:8

VX275
30th Oct 2012, 10:48
I'm old enough to remember the outcry from the spotters when Manchester airport put entry turnstiles on the top of the piers, charging a whole 6d (2.5p) for the privilage of standing in the wind / drizzle / jet fumes whilst watching aeroplanes at close range............. Bliss.

ScouseFlyer
30th Oct 2012, 20:04
Yes bliss indeed,and for those lucky enough to own airband radios in those far off times do you remember the "mandatory" check that had to be made on your radio presumably to ensure no interference.

SF

GQ2
31st Oct 2012, 00:19
What has any of this got to do with these threads on 'Aviation History and Nostalgia'. This sounds more like material for the Victor Meldrew thread...:rolleyes:
Oh, and in this world, you get 'owt fer nowt'...'

Krystal n chips
31st Oct 2012, 06:49
Always said they should have kept that field at the back of the Airport Hotel open instead of building a bit more runway...it was free after all. :E

Shaggy Sheep Driver
31st Oct 2012, 10:22
No matter what facility you provide there's always someone who'll moan and expect to get it for free.

The RVP, on a nice summer's day, is absolutely packed with families and almost all (judging by the chokka car park) are not cheapskates who park outside and walk in. So there can't be much wrong with the pricing.

lakerman
31st Oct 2012, 17:12
Proplinerman, what you must realise is this cost is per vehicle. So £12 for Grandad, Grandma, Mum and 3 kids is dirt cheap. Buying them all an ice cream on the other hand !!!!