PDA

View Full Version : RESTREPO (Film) - Farnham 1 Nov 10

Fifth_Columnist
18th Oct 2010, 22:07
For anyone who wants to see the film Restrepo, Sebastian Junger's feature-length documentary following a platoon of US soldiers in the Korengal Valley for a year, there is a screening in Farnham on 1 Nov - might be of interest to those stationed nearby. Link below is via the Army Rumour Service:

ArRSE - Farnham Screening Thread (http://www.arrse.co.uk/films-music-all-things-artsy/150566-see-restrepo-maltings-farnham-surrey-1st-november-7pm.html#post3458861)

aviate1138
19th Oct 2010, 11:37
If the same organisation thinks "The Age of Stupid" by Franny Armstrong is also a film worth showing then I will give it a miss.

ORAC
19th Oct 2010, 11:39
Mark Kermode raved about it.

cP1Qn0SLQ0E

Pitts2112
19th Oct 2010, 13:24
Very open-minded of you. The Farnham Maltings is an excellent organisation and venue that shows and supports an extremely wide range of creativity and art. If you take this approach, you're the one missing out, not them. Stop by one day and have a look.

modernmilitarymother
21st Oct 2010, 13:52
Thanks for posting this. I just had it confirmed yesterday that the British director, Tim Hetherington will introduce the film, via a live video link up from New York.

It's going to be a great evening. We are raising money for the Forces Children Trust as well. Plus we'll have copies on sale of Sebastian Junger's book War too.

sarboy w****r
21st Oct 2010, 16:50
I watched it on Tuesday night and, quite frankly, it's awesome. If there is just one film that you go and see in 2010, then make it this one.

Rarely will you find a film that shows so well what it's like to go to war alongside your mates, to experience the loss of comrades, or show that in combat it's possible to be scared sh*tless and yet at the same time find it a complete adrenaline rush. And (which as a sentient human being is possibly the saddest part of it all) to actually begin to enjoy parts of it, which is the hardest thing to explain to people who haven't been...

There are a few occasions where it's extremely funny, yet there are frequent parts where the cinema was shocked into absolute silence; you could have heard the proverbial pin drop. I'd be very surprised if this isn't nominated for an Oscar for Best Documentary or similar.