PDA

View Full Version : Twin Otter F/O time?

Dupre
18th Oct 2010, 07:22
How is time as a twin otter f/o regarded in NZ and Aus?

It is certified as a single pilot a/c of course - but often run with 2 pilots in a genuine multi-crew environment.

Will operators and NZCAA/CASA consider it as counting towards my total time and multi-time? Or will they not think of it as proper hours?

The reason behind the question is a potential job in Africa, which I am very keen on but want to make sure that the twin time (of which I currently have very little) is going to count when I return to Australasia!

Dupre.

Killer Loop
18th Oct 2010, 07:29
The F/O's who are flying with our mob are getting interviews with Qantas Link etc with basically a bare CPL and 5 or 600 hours F/O time on the Otter. Qantas Link obviously think it's acceptable.

international hog driver
18th Oct 2010, 07:56
Plenty of people here have started out in the right seat of the otter and gone on to bigger and better things over time.

Of the guys who I started with in the right seat of the otter, they are now flying 737NG/744/767/777/A330/A340...... and most of them in the left seat now.:E

Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on and it will really teach you how to fly for performance:}

Go for it:ok:

The Green Goblin
18th Oct 2010, 09:21
According to some on here the PIC is not a Captain unless it's a multi crew aeroplane.

So with that logic, the hours don't count and the PIC is a Pilot and not a Captain as it is a single pilot certified aeroplane :D.

Go for it, it can't hurt (Unless you factor in the twotter cruise speed :})

P.S Aeroplanes like the Metro/Bandit etc are all in the same boat too!

geeup
19th Oct 2010, 04:25
Whats your other option?

compressor stall
19th Oct 2010, 05:14
but often run with 2 pilots in a genuine multi-crew environment.

Is that a company requirement or a regulatory one (ie mandated for RPT ops etc). In the eyes of many, that might be a distinguishing difference in recognising the time. One's seen a bag chucker, the other a co-pilot.

likes2fly
19th Oct 2010, 08:27
It's Multi-Crew, Twin turbine, why would you knock that back early in your career. Beats the other options hands down.

Can't see why it wouldn't be recognised its no different to any other Multi time. Only downside is the 50% co-pilot thing on the ATPL, takes a bit longer.

Go for it, one of the best planes you will fly!

The Green Goblin
19th Oct 2010, 08:50
It's Multi-Crew, Twin turbine, why would you knock that back early in your career. Beats the other options hands down.

You're better off waiting though until you have 1500 command, 500 multi, 100 night and at least an ATPL.

It's a bitter pill to swallow driving a machine without a command on the horizon in the near future. That pill can get stuck in your throat when you need to go drive a 210 or similar to get enough command to get yourself a piston twin job so you can sit in the left seat of the aeroplane you are already flying....

If there is nothing else going - take it, if you are offered a single engine job with multi engine progression jump at it quickly.

GG

Checkboard
19th Oct 2010, 11:58
According to some on here the PIC is not a Captain unless it's a multi crew aeroplane.

So with that logic, the hours don't count and the PIC is a Pilot and not a Captain as it is a single pilot certified aeroplane :D

Then some people on here are wrong (which shouldn't surprise anyone), if they are referring to Australian Regulations. Under CAO 40.1.0 (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91047) Section 10, PPLs may only log command if they are handling the controls. CPLs and higher log command if they are in command, and co-pilot if they are acting as co-pilot. No mention of aircraft certification is made.

frigatebird
19th Oct 2010, 12:27
Sometime in your professional career, you are going to have to bite the bullet and get Command time so that you are promotable. With a new Commercial licence and minimal hours, you could do worse than spending a year in the right seat of a Twin Otter, ( they are a fun ship, and get operated to interesting places too) watching, learning, and being in a co-pilots role, before getting your own single or twin command to build those hours that will get you back into the right seat of something bigger.

Its been done to death elsewhere, but how will Cadets with larger airlines ever get promotion, (without the rules being changed), if they never get to log Command time on the larger types they crew?

Ram Rod
20th Oct 2010, 16:45
Go for it mate.
I flew 1000hr in the right hand seat of an Otter and now I drive a jet. Will do you the world of good and will not hurt your career.
Enjoy yourself brother she is a good balus to fly.
RR

Waghi Warrior
21st Oct 2010, 09:02
I agree give it 60, it's twin turbine time and the TT half thing is total BS trust me,it just made up by some clown on the 500th floor of some building who knows SFA about pilots and the sh!t we have to go through,any time as a crew member is TT in my view.